Genuine question. Why do people spend loads on a keyboard

Permabanned
I've seen some expensive keyboards and at face value look no different to my £25 KB.

Besides maybe macros I don't understand why people spend a fortune. I probably lack an understanding aswell.

Soldato
It depends on what you do with a keyboard.

For gaming having macros and other features can be beneficial, the switch type can make gaming more comfortable and of course a lot of people like the bling that tends to come with gaming related products.

For typing the difference between a good board and suitable switches and a weak board and less suitable switches can be substantial, not just in terms of typing speed and accuracy but in comfort over long periods.

That said, you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money to get a good keyboard.

Soldato
For me it is because it is one of three points I interact with on my PC (audio aside), the others being the monitor and mouse. I see no reason spending a lot of money on how fast the PC can go if my interactions with it are poor.

Interestingly features of a keyboard such as macros and audio controls do not bother me as much as the feel and typing experience. I have used some really good 'cheaper' keyboards in the past and I have really liked them at the time, but compared to the quality and feel of more 'expensive' keyboards that I have personally used they do not compare. That said, when shopping for peripherals the price is secondary to the actual product quality. Of course the price can limit my purchase, but I am absolutely not going to discount a cheaper keyboard over an more expensive one just for bragging rights of how much I am able to afford. If I found a cheap keyboard that satisfied my needs I would save the money.

Associate
A fully programmable keyboard is very useful. Both for macros for gaming, and for making it easier to type characters that aren't found on normal keyboards, like Ω or °. Personally, the main reason I spent a lot on a keyboard was to get a left-handed one, which despite the name, is actually perfectly suited to right-handed gaming. Mechanical switches with replaceable keycaps are nice too.

Soldato
I've seen some expensive keyboards and at face value look no different to my £25 KB.

Becaue I like my hands healthy TYVM. I've had twinges in my hands and have seen where that leads. My Ducky Shine 3 mechanical keyboard cost me around £100 and it is very comfortable as a keyboard. You can replace your keyboard but you can't replace your hands. I could use a £5 mouse; instead I use a £50 trackball for the same reasons - actually I see that Kensington appear to have stopped producing them and they've rocketted in price.

For me it is because it is one of three points I interact with on my PC (audio aside), the others being the monitor and mouse. I see no reason spending a lot of money on how fast the PC can go if my interactions with it are poor.

That's an excellent way of putting it.

Soldato
Dunno my mechanical hyper X keyboard was £65. Id consider that reasonable for something you actively use on the pc.
You spend more for features, flashing lights I guess.

At work I have a £150 keyboard but that's because its custom built for video editing.

Permabanned
Personally I much prefer a mechanical keyboard and although I know the price is disproportionate, I prefer to spend on one that has obviously been made well. I use a keyboard a lot and cheap ones tend not to last very long with me. I currently have a FNATIC mechanical tenkeyless which has been a great keyboard. Lasted longer than any other keyboard I have bought. It wasn't too expensive either at a shade less than £100.

Associate
For me my Steelseries Apex 7 TKL was £150. I just prefer the feel of mechanical switches and the good build quality. Hate the feel of the cheap generic keyboards. I also like the aesthetics of the Steelseries ones.

Man of Honour
I have a Topre Realforce 88U (TKL) keyboard, obviously using topre switches. It's beige. It doesn't have any LED's; not even a caps lock light. It's not even wireless. It cost a small fortune because it's made in low volumes in Japan. It's not a gaming keyboard but was more expensive than most gaming keyboards. I use my PC for work and play for up to 12 hours a day and it's the best typing experience I have ever had. It's wonderful. I chose beige over black because it's more legible in low light. It's worth every penny and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. But it is definitely a case of function over form. My son laughs at it.

Caporegime
I don’t think you realise it until you actually use one.

I had cheap boards all my life, but then I built a new rig and decided to get a quality mechanical board. I paid £180 for the Corsair K95. I will never go back to a cheap board again. It’s in a completely different league. The whole thing just feels like pure quality and is a joy to use. I like having a programmable keys as well to do a multitude of tasks very quickly. Plus the RGB on it is beautiful, especially the rain setting.

Man of Honour
Using a keyboard with Cherry MX Blacks here - cost around £100 but nice solid build quality and robust operation and I get a response from it for gaming which I don't from cheaper keyboards - in FPS games can ride the edge of activation in a way you can't with rubber dome, etc. switches.

Back
Top Bottom