Motivation

Associate
What motivates you to get up every day, to complete the work cycle? Get up, go to work, finish, dinner, bed, repeat.
I find more often than not I'd rather stay in bed, work doesn't excite me and keep me interested.

So what motivates you, to get up for work and enjoy, to some extent your work / job?

Soldato
Quit your job and lounge around all day watching sky on your 75" OLED while smoking crack. It's easily done on benefits if the wisdom I've gained from reading these forums is true.

Man of Honour
You need some long term goals, or at least one. Most activities that are fulfilling in the long term are those that take the form of lifting a metaphorical load and taking responsibility for it, while ensuring its beneficial to something other than yourself.

Try to remember that you are literally made from the remnants of exploded stars, and that a being as intelligent as you is a way for the universe to know itself. Looking at things this way I find it difficult to escape a sense of duty to do something productive.

Music works too.

Soldato
Great thread and one il be watching, I definitely need some motivation lately, Just feels like everyday is kind of groundhog day, Same crap different day so to speak. Not depressed over it, I work, pay the bills and doing fine but its not a place i really want to carry on for years and years on end definitely need some new hobbys,New job etc.

Music & food keeps me happy :D

Caporegime
It's a good question.

Firstly, collectively we're absolutely ruining the world.

Secondly, most of us end up enriching others more than ourselves through the work we do.

Third, we're only here for the blink of an eye then we're gone.

Objectively and without emotion, we're all living extremely pointless existences.

Taken as a whole humanity is a mostly destructive force upon the planet. There's nothing to be proud of, here.

Why do we keep going... keep breeding... keep consuming...

It's a good question.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
If a thought sickens its holder, is that thought healthy for its holder?

Understanding the meaning of the words "important" and "relevant" tends to help.

Soldato
Having to think about this ,the money is becoming just numbers in my accounts ,don't have a mortgage or expensive tastes ,nice but 18 he old car ,could take afew years off but I'm a bit rubbish socially and work in a small friendly group that helps me I think.
I also makes the most of my weekends (Friday afternoon sat,sun) yesterday was a walk from crantock to holywell ,bit of photography ,picnic in a cave ,drive to mount wise car park ,mooch around Newquay followed by 3 hours Bodyboarding ,then home and wine ,perfect.

Associate
Good question.

I wouldn't say I'm overly motivated, especially in the mornings.
But for me it's a variety of things.

I really enjoy my job, and in a small way I'm making a positive difference to the world, and the mess we're currently in. I've also just become a manager, so now I even get to decide (within reason) which projects I think are worth pursuing.
I've also just welcomed my first-born into the world, and it sounds cliché, but I want to do well so I can give him the childhood and life experiences I recieved as a child, things like learning to sail, ski, understanding nature, and generally becoming a decent human being. In the mornings when I hate the world, it's a hot shower and the first cup of tea of the day - likely over reading some work emails or if at home, browsing these forums or listning to music.

I live a fairly simple life, but I wouldn't change anything at the moment. That's enough motivation for me to keep on going.

Permabanned
I changed my life completely about ten years ago. I guess I was like most people in that I just fell in to a life that I was told was good but when I asked myself was I really happy the answer was no. I was slogging away at a job I didn't really enjoy and the only reason I was doing that is to pay my mortgage, and so on and so on. I had built a sort of pyramid of miserableness. So I changed the focus completely away from what I was told was success to something I actually felt was more successful to me. We only get one life so it's pure insanity to spend it being miserable or "trying" to motivate yourself. I think some people don't really have a goal in life so they kinda just get dragged along. My goal is happiness. So I constructed all my secondary goals around that and am now working towards those. It's amazing how having actual goals motivates you.

Back
Top Bottom