** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Ok, so noticed a few issues with my monitor 24 hours in.. i am on the latest firmware updated yesterday
but occasionally mainly on white screen with images.. for example google images i would get slight flickering of the screen.
Does not appear all the time just randomly.

Associate
I'm no techie but am wondering maybe its a transit sensitivity issue where the monitor is getting damaged in transit rather than in the qc stage? I can't believe so many folks have and have had such issues... Samsung should give us unfortunate(?) customers a complimentary discount or something as this is bad for their "flagship" gaming monitor.

Soldato
Unboxing Nightmare - Be extra careful! Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Monitor

Be careful when you take out these monitors that are 49". Leave them in the box and screw the stand on and then take it out of the box with the stand only, do not touch any other part only the stand and lift out. This is a rookie mistake he made and others have done same thing so heads up.

This was user error that caused this.. it's obvious not to put that much pressure on a screen and if you read the comments others have done the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently got this beast and I have a few issues which I'm on the fence about whether it's worth returning for a replacement.

1. There is one continuously illuminated subpixel left and slightly down of the center (noticeable when dark shades of colour/scenes are displayed)
2. One missing red (I believe) subpixel right at the far left edge of the screen (not that noticeable)
3. Very slight fading towards the bottom 1cm of the screen as others have had an issue with
4. Popping/cracking noises (slightly annoying but not massively loud)

For the most part, I don't think these warrant a return but due to the cost of the screen, any defects are obviously annoying.

Another probably larger issue is that I'm not able to fully test the screen at the moment since I'm only running a GTX 980 (yes I know I'm brave).
I planned/plan on getting an RTX 3080 like a lot of people when I can actually get my hands on one and wanted to future-proof my new build.

I originally had the monitor on pre-order and have been waiting a while to get it with the recall and all the issues but I'm having doubts as to whether it was a good idea given the fact I cannot fully test it with the 980.
What I'm worried about is finding more pressing issues when I can fully test it past the return period (31st Jan with Amazon so I have a fair bit of time).

At the moment I can only run 60Hz at full res, 120Hz at 3840 x 1080, and 240Hz below that although those resolutions are a stretched mess on this screen.
Adaptive sync is on and presumably (GSync) is working if at 120Hz (I don't think it works below 60/70Hz?).

I can actually set the refresh rate to 240Hz through the settings although this obviously isn't applied.

I don't seem to be able to set HDR or another higher than 8-bit colour like someone else pointed out but I think that's because the GTX 980 doesn't support DSC so no idea if I'll experience the flickering issues at the moment.
I did see one blip of flicker when in RDR2 although on the most part it's fine.

I jumped at it since I've been waiting for months and I needed a solution to display my work laptop on a screen (been using a tiny laptop screen for months and it's driving me crazy).
My previous monitor was the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and the connectivity and Gsync means it's difficult to impossible to get other devices to display on it with a DP adapter for instance.

Ideally, I guess I'd manage to get an RTX 3080 between now and the returns period so I can fully test it and make an informed decision but that's looking less and less likely given the rubbish supply issues.
I've EIZO Monitor Test and it looks decent other than the issues above, no light bleeding at all at full brightness, relatively decent uniformity etc although I can't really test response times.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this and whether keeping it is worth the risk? I really don't want to find out there are issues post returns and have to deal with Samsung warranty if I can avoid that.
Also, anything else I should test for at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have an N8 (August I believe) and am on the latest firmware 1006.02

I'm on a 980 ti and can get full res at 8bit 100hz and full res at 10bit 60hz. You are doing something wrong there and you will never get full native res at 120hz or above working with a 980 because they are Display Port 1.2 and don't have the bandwidth at what you are trying to do, if you want 100hz at 8bit will work on it and if you want 10bit set 60hz and both will work at full native resolution, you will need to buy a graphics card with DP 1.4 to get full use out of it at higher frequencies and bit depths . I ordered the G9 and CRG9 and had them both delivered other day and decided to keep the CRG9 because of the curve on the G9 was silly at 1000R and the CRG9 at 1800R was more acceptable . Both monitors were N9, both had no dead or stuck pixels and both worked correctly on the 980 ti, I also used works RTX 3090 and got HDR and everything working right with the Display port 1.4 on the RTX 3090 on both monitors. HDR will not work on a 980 too again needs DP 1.4.

Now people with :-

NVIDIA TITAN Series:
TITAN X (Maxwell), TITAN X (Pascal), TITAN XP

GeForce 10 Series:
GeForce GT 1030, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1070Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti

GeForce 900 Series:
GeForce GTX 950, GTX 950Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980Ti

GeForce 700 Series:
GeForce GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750Ti

Need to also go here and download the firmware updater for these cards to allow 1.3 and 1.4 monitors to work correctly, remember these cards are Display port version lower than 1.3/1.4 so needs an update to make sure things work right too.

Here is the link from nvidia :-

Graphics Firmware Update for Display Port 1.3 and 1.4 Displays

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...e-update-for-displayport-1.3-and-1.4-displays

Make sure to click the link at bottom that says :- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update.html

Let the program run and restart, just follow the on screen instructions it will tell you if your card needs updating, mine is a EVGA 980ti Classified and needed an update and it updated it correctly and if you run the program again after the update you will see it says all updated and no need to run again.

I did not change any settings on the monitor just on the custom setting it ships with so far and only time I changed them was with the RTX 3090 to set 240hz on the G9.

I honestly believe there is a lot of user error going on with these monitors too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got my second G9, the first one had popping/cracking noise. This one has some type of coil whine, buzzing coming out the back. Not sure if it will get annoying, 2 of the CRG49's had it and was too loud. The last N5 I had didn't have any buzzing/whine coming out the back, just had the popping noises. Such a lottery with these monitors :)

Mate you seem to have gone threw many monitors over the last few months of many makes and models and all so far have been bad (something is a miss here, they can't be, when I got 2 out of 2 fine that took a beating in transit and both were N9), I don't believe every one you got had issues, I ordered the G9 and CRG9 other day and both came working fine and the CRG9 box took a good beating too and the G9 box thanks to DPD, the CRG9 box even had a hole in it on the side the stand and cables were, I will take pics for you tomorrow and show you how abused the box was and the inside was 100% fine the protection around the monitors is really good, just a shame the box on the outside takes a beating and the tape is not strong enough they tape it up with too.

I would check your electricity if you get buzzing, stick the monitor on a pure sine wave UPS and check if it does the noise if it doesn't then its your electricity in your home causing it or some device with EMI (electromagnetic interference) causing it, maybe router too close or phones etc.

If you have the monitors on a UPS and it's a stepping type not a pure sine wave then you may get buzzing and also flicker, so check what you are doing too,there is no way so many monitors are faulty from different brands and models.

Soldato
People with flicker, I would try connecting the monitor to a different power plug in the home and make sure on a different ring/ circuit in the home and make sure not to have it on a noisy one like one with a fridge or washing machine etc. See if that helps if it does you may need to buy a Pure Sine UPS to clean up your power for the monitor. Yes flicker can be caused by bad settings too and drivers and other things but make sure your power is clean to the monitor. Electrics that buzz or whine could be on a poor power supply in the home. Check your wiring too make sure all is wired right on the sockets with a tester that checks the wiring is right and ground is working correctly too.

Associate
I`ve had my g9 -August manufacture- for a week now. No issues at all.
Has anyone who is experiencing problems tried a good quality shielded
dp 1.4 cable rather than the stock cable that came with the monitor?
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Soldato

Good point, but other point to note are you using the cable that came with the monitor ? I used the cables that came with the monitors and was all good too. Don't use old DP cables that may not work right from your previous monitors that were probably DP 1.2.

Associate
I am also using the DP cable that came with the monitor, as for the slight flickering this has gone now so not sure if the monitor had to go on stanbye for the firmware to take effect?

Anyway all is good.. no popping.. dead pixels etc.

Now stay that way lol

Associate
also booting up the computer restarting etc their has been no gpu errors now

My 2nd monitor i had gave me 1 long bleep and 3 short and the monitor would finally wake itself on the login windows 10 screen.

My 3rd monitor i have now everything is fine BIOS loads and monitor responds right away.

Associate

Could you please check if your monitor suffers from "scanline defect" at 240 Hz?
Please follow the steps described in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...samsung_odyssey_g9_horizontal_linesscan_line/

I could reproduce it easily on my July G9 with the DP cable which came with the monitor.
Btw. I could see the horizontal lines only in 240 Hz but I could see the global brightness changes in 60, 120 and 240 Hz.

Associate
Could you please check if your monitor suffers from "scanline defect" at 240 Hz?
Please follow the steps described in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...samsung_odyssey_g9_horizontal_linesscan_line/

I could reproduce it easily on my July G9 with the DP cable which came with the monitor.
Btw. I could see the horizontal lines only in 240 Hz but I could see the global brightness changes in 60, 120 and 240 Hz.
tried to replicate scanline defect - no sign. Im still using the stock cable because I have no issues so far.

Last edited:
Associate

Just checked and I have this defect too. It's like the entire screen goes dimmer when I open that image in the post. I can also see the scanlines on some desktop shortcuts too. Very faintly on Chrome, more pronounced on Microsoft Edge's icon.

Associate
I'm on a 980 ti and can get full res at 8bit 100hz and full res at 10bit 60hz. You are doing something wrong there and you will never get full native res at 120hz or above working with a 980 because they are Display Port 1.2 and don't have the bandwidth at what you are trying to do, if you want 100hz at 8bit will work on it and if you want 10bit set 60hz and both will work at full native resolution, you will need to buy a graphics card with DP 1.4 to get full use out of it at higher frequencies and bit depths . I ordered the G9 and CRG9 and had them both delivered other day and decided to keep the CRG9 because of the curve on the G9 was silly at 1000R and the CRG9 at 1800R was more acceptable . Both monitors were N9, both had no dead or stuck pixels and both worked correctly on the 980 ti, I also used works RTX 3090 and got HDR and everything working right with the Display port 1.4 on the RTX 3090 on both monitors. HDR will not work on a 980 too again needs DP 1.4.

Now people with :-

NVIDIA TITAN Series:
TITAN X (Maxwell), TITAN X (Pascal), TITAN XP

GeForce 10 Series:
GeForce GT 1030, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1070Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti

GeForce 900 Series:
GeForce GTX 950, GTX 950Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980Ti

GeForce 700 Series:
GeForce GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750Ti

Need to also go here and download the firmware updater for these cards to allow 1.3 and 1.4 monitors to work correctly, remember these cards are Display port version lower than 1.3/1.4 so needs an update to make sure things work right too.

Here is the link from nvidia :-

Graphics Firmware Update for Display Port 1.3 and 1.4 Displays

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...e-update-for-displayport-1.3-and-1.4-displays

Make sure to click the link at bottom that says :- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update.html

Let the program run and restart, just follow the on screen instructions it will tell you if your card needs updating, mine is a EVGA 980ti Classified and needed an update and it updated it correctly and if you run the program again after the update you will see it says all updated and no need to run again.

I did not change any settings on the monitor just on the custom setting it ships with so far and only time I changed them was with the RTX 3090 to set 240hz on the G9.

I honestly believe there is a lot of user error going on with these monitors too.

Thanks for the info Purgatory much appreciated. I didn't think about updating the firmware on the GPU so that's a good call. Will give that a go tonight and assume that will fix the resolution/colour depth settings. I've just been going off what the monitor settings are and what windows / Nvidia settings are reporting. Didn't even see any option for 100hz just 60/120/240.

User error is probably right on my part but when there are 3 places with settings it's difficult to know where to set these and what figures to trust if you're not familiar with screen resolutions, refresh rates etc.
Where do I actually set it to 8-bit at 100Hz or 10-bit at 60Hz and check it's reporting correctly from the monitor settings or Windows?

The popping sounds are much more frequent and I don't think I can live with them so eventually this thing is probably going back for a replacement and then hopefully I'll get a clean panel too,

Soldato

I noticed scan lines on my G7 its on specific colours I first noticed it on the My computer icon it goes away if I set 144hz or 120hz , I cannot notice it in games but I feel this shouldnt be the case for how much this monitor costs

Associate
I decided to call Samsung and ask for a replacement because of the popping noises. Honestly part of me is thinking it may have went away in time, but it shouldn't be normal something like that, right? Especially on an expensive monitor. If it only happened when the monitor was heating up I could live with it, but it happens throughout monitor use and even after the monitor is turned off and is cooling down.

Not looking forward to going back to 60hz for a week or so lol. Now I have to pray the new one won't have worse issues.

Their phone support was great though, just asked details and then got it all sorted. Was expecting the process to be a lot worse.

Associate
FYI - just posting this here as i think it explains the model numbers.

All the same screen, just different regions/markets.

LC49G93TSSUXEN - Europe / UK
LC49G94TSSUXZG - Germany
LC49G95TSSUXEN - Europe / UK / Switzerland
LC49G95TSSNXZA - US / Canada
LC49G95TSSCXXF - China
LC49G95TSSEXXY - Australia
LC49G95TSSMXCH - Netherlands
LC49G95TSSIXCI - Russia / Ukraine
LC49G95TSSMXUF - Turkey
LC49G95TSSLXZD - Brazil
LC49G95TSSLXZX - Mexico
LC49G95TSSKXKR - South Korea