LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
MicroLED is no where to be seen in consumer land.
Samsung themselves have opted for LCD/Mini-LED next year instead of QD-OLED despite their display company making the displays.

OLED is going to be king for a while of PQ.

MicroLED isn't an issue for OLED because the price of microLED is going to be astronomical and by then LG OLED panels will hopefully be even cheaper.

MicroLED, QD-OLED was only talked about coming out in the near future about 10 years, but what we have seen and read so far is the First MicroLED by LG and Samsung MicroLED was seen at the CES show 2020 but not for consumer just yet, so in the next 3 - 6 years we might see MicroLED in the stores IMHO;) the first OLED came out in 2007 by Sony. And now the Chinese manufacturer TCL was planning unveil a QD-OLED next year! We will have have to wait and see.

Associate
Last night I was looking at my PUBG screen on a normal monitor, and there are tons of static elements. Therefore, whether you use this oled for a 6 hour gaming session or use it for a 6 hour photoshop session, there's not much difference with regards to the burn in problem. If you look at the review tft central, this Oled covers 132.1% of sRGB, this is impressive. It can actually be used for color correction.

Soldato
My God, I'm struggling to get past the "I'm one of those people who likes to fly business class just to stand in the priority queue..." Opening gambits, does he actually make some worthwhile points? :p

Edit: I managed to soldier on. I don't think the article holds much validity for this thread as it was a test of varying TV channels, although it was interesting nonetheless. I found the info on compensation cycles and the need to leave the TV on standby interesting as I have mine completely powered down when I go to work. I might need to revise that behaviour. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
MicroLED, QD-OLED was only talked about coming out in the near future about 10 years, but what we have seen and read so far is the First MicroLED by LG and Samsung MicroLED was seen at the CES show 2020 but not for consumer just yet, so in the next 3 - 6 years we might see MicroLED in the stores IMHO;) the first OLED came out in 2007 by Sony. And now the Chinese manufacturer TCL was planning unveil a QD-OLED next year! We will have have to wait and see.

Vincent did a video on microLED being no where near consumer levels. Have a watch of it.

The time that we can get a 77'' microLED for £3999 is not close.
QD-OLED is not being adopted by Samsung themselves, which I feel is a fairly big red-flag.

Soldato
Really interesting and balanced review, thanks as always Baddass.

"For day to day desktop, office and professional-type uses it is more difficult to use and probably not an ideal choice." Given how my ratio of general desktop use to gaming per day is like 7hrs/3hrs, perhaps I should reconsider getting this and stick with my excellent AW3420DW.

IMHO they are different classes of monitor with the LG OLED CX being a couple of classes above your current display.

If its too big, move it farther away or use a custom resolution to make it ultra-wide.

I went from an AW3418DW to the C9 and they are worlds apart in PQ which. Even for desktop use and web browsing, the AW3418DW's panel looks disgusting in comparison. I did a few photos on the C9 thread where I tried to show the difference.

Associate
Here is a totally fresh perspective. I have never really been up close and personal with any Oled Tv in the past.
I have always thought to myself, why bother watching something you will never buy? Until 2016 I was only a Sony guy; at least, this is until TCL came along. From 2017 to now I have always had a Tcl 6 series 65". I am still very happy with my 6 series.
Today I went to best buy with my wife. She knows nothing of picture quality. She would fall asleep watching the same HDR videos we love and venerate. For the first time ever, we were able to admire an Oled up close.
How can we even compare this to a pc monitor? It's like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari. One thing I did notice about the 48" is just how huge it is compared to a 32"monitor. The pictures I see on this thread of your bedrooms and offices do not do it justice. In real life it's much larger. Its sheer size shocked me. I thought to myself, "how the hell am I going to put this on my desk and sit 80cm-to 1 meter away?" Then I did something that I cannot do with the TCL. I put my face 20-30 cm right up against the screen. The pixels were much finer, I can't do that with the Tcl 65". I noticed that being closer to it did not disturb me at all. I did also notice that the HDR clip I was watching (the LG honey one) looked 1000 times better than on any monitor. I then thought, "does it look better than on the TCL??" Somewhat, not huge amounts. In fact, the TCL is way brighter, but the Oled has a depth to it, that makes it get away with being less bright. Watching the gorgeous picture, I thought "but how can such a beautiful picture get burn in?" We then visited the Samsung 8 k tv's, and quite frankly we both agreed it was an over-saturated mess of color, Samsung demos are simply too hallucinogenic. The LG 77" was breathtaking. The perfect lay-in-bed in a totally dark room and watch TV. Possibly a faint blue bias light behind it, with no other lights. The Sony Oled was also very good. Sony content was also quite stunning.
Then we started to watch a clip of nature on the lg's, and that is when we really saw the difference of contrast compared to normal LCD fald Tv's.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
From AVSforum. Anyone with raised blacks:

“I know there has been a lot of frustration with the 2020 LGs with all the issues people are observing but yesterday i had the rare opportunity to evaluate the next major firmware release which should be arriving in a couple of weeks or sooner and the raised blacks in SDR and HDR are gone. I didn't use jewelers glasses but best i could tell it looked good. Visually when content faded to black in a totally black room the TV disappeared. I didn't have enough time to look at DV to know for 100% sure about that PM but it looked very good to me. This all assumes that your TV doesn't have a calibration or black level issue. The set i was using was very close to spec. There were also some PQ improvements as well. This is all i can say. So be patent and once it's available hopefully many will be happy with the results.”

LG continues to release improvements for us OLED owners, looking forward to the new firmware.

Associate
Really silly question here, really confusing.
Let's say I watch the same HDR YouTube video first through a web browser, and then on the tv YouTube app. Will they look the same quality wise?
In the first case, the sound is coming from PC to a headset. So far so good. In the second case, I am forced to listen to the sound through the tv? Right? There is no return to PC sound signal, so as to listen through the headset?

Man of Honour
Really silly question here, really confusing.
Let's say I watch the same HDR YouTube video first through a web browser, and then on the tv YouTube app. Will they look the same quality wise?
In the first case, the sound is coming from PC to a headset. So far so good. In the second case, I am forced to listen to the sound through the tv? Right? There is no return to PC sound signal, so as to listen through the headset?
I think You could use the headphone output on the tv to connect to the audio input on your pc, allowing you to then listen via your headphones plugged in to the pc. Or plug headphones directly in to the audio output on the tv

keep in mind that the two modes could also look different with different preset modes and settings so you might need to edit those manually when using the built in app, to match what you’re using from the pc input mode

Soldato
Here is a totally fresh perspective. I have never really been up close and personal with any Oled Tv in the past.
I have always thought to myself, why bother watching something you will never buy? Until 2016 I was only a Sony guy; at least, this is until TCL came along. From 2017 to now I have always had a Tcl 6 series 65". I am still very happy with my 6 series.
Today I went to best buy with my wife. She knows nothing of picture quality. She would fall asleep watching the same HDR videos we love and venerate. For the first time ever, we were able to admire an Oled up close.
How can we even compare this to a pc monitor? It's like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari. One thing I did notice about the 48" is just how huge it is compared to a 32"monitor. The pictures I see on this thread of your bedrooms and offices do not do it justice. In real life it's much larger. Its sheer size shocked me. I thought to myself, "how the hell am I going to put this on my desk and sit 80cm-to 1 meter away?" Then I did something that I cannot do with the TCL. I put my face 20-30 cm right up against the screen. The pixels were much finer, I can't do that with the Tcl 65". I noticed that being closer to it did not disturb me at all. I did also notice that the HDR clip I was watching (the LG honey one) looked 1000 times better than on any monitor. I then thought, "does it look better than on the TCL??" Somewhat, not huge amounts. In fact, the TCL is way brighter, but the Oled has a depth to it, that makes it get away with being less bright. Watching the gorgeous picture, I thought "but how can such a beautiful picture get burn in?" We then visited the Samsung 8 k tv's, and quite frankly we both agreed it was an over-saturated mess of color, Samsung demos are simply too hallucinogenic. The LG 77" was breathtaking. The perfect lay-in-bed in a totally dark room and watch TV. Possibly a faint blue bias light behind it, with no other lights. The Sony Oled was also very good. Sony content was also quite stunning.
Then we started to watch a clip of nature on the lg's, and that is when we really saw the difference of contrast compared to normal LCD fald Tv's.

When you have peace and quiet to appreciate it in front of you in your own home, you'll find even more differences. I've had mine since June and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far, though the only downside is that it makes me want to re-watch movies and replay games to appreciate them in 4k with such a fantastic panel.

Associate
For people complaining about playing FPS on this screen: can't you just display low res, like 1080p, and not scale it? Then you get similar to a 24" screen but with the excellent OLED response time. Is there a problem with that approach? I'm also considering this screen for all around usage including productivity and competitive gaming. My only concern is that 10-12ms input lag. I notice it drops to around 7ms on the tftcentral review if you use lower resolution so maybe that's okay.

Associate
I never watch Amazon prime and Netflix through my PC to a pc monitor. I normally always watch content on my TV which displays Netflix in DV and Prime in HDR. Most Netflix series are DV.
Today I accessed both Netflix and Prime video through the google browser (on my pc) and logged in. I played some titles that I know for fact are HDR and DV. To my ABSOLUTE horror I suddenly realized they were not in HDR and DV. Windows does not play DV in Netflix? Or HDR on prime?
Is this my PC monitor that can't? Or is it windows that can't? Or is it Netflix and Amazon that do not stream TO pc in DV or HDR?
My question: When you use the LG OLED as a pc monitor is Netflix content (that is normally in DV) displayed in DV? Likewise, when I access prime video and play an HDR movie, will the Oled TV play the movie in HDR?

Associate
For Netflix DV, HDR has to be turned OFF in windows. This is so counter intuitive!!. I can imagine for Amazon prime It has to be turned on. I will try.
Both look quite crappy played through a PC on an IPS panel or a 32" professional monitor.
They look nowhere as good as on a TCL 6 series.

Now the million dollar question is can we watch Netflix and Prime through the PC (on a web browser) and get the same quality as using the TV natively, with the Netflix and Prime app?
Could someone get back to me on this?
I expect there will be a huge difference. In which case, this TV should be used as a TV and not a pc monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Now the million dollar question is can we watch Netflix and Prime through the PC (on a web browser) and get the same quality as using the TV natively, with the Netflix and Prime app?.

Very curious about this also. I like to alt-tab into other programs when watching a lot of Netflix/TV shows etc. So if I were forced to change input from PC to the smart TV for Netflix and be unable to easily do that it would be a rather big hassle.

Soldato
Very curious about this also. I like to alt-tab into other programs when watching a lot of Netflix/TV shows etc. So if I were forced to change input from PC to the smart TV for Netflix and be unable to easily do that it would be a rather big hassle.

Looks quite similar to me. Also if you did prefer the native app there are dedicated Netflix and Prime buttons on the remote and a quick access to last input button so switching is very quick.

Associate
Looks quite similar to me. Also if you did prefer the native app there are dedicated Netflix and Prime buttons on the remote and a quick access to last input button so switching is very quick.

Try Planet Earth on Netflix. It looks jaw dropping in DV on the TCL 6 series. Now try it through the PC by opening up Netflix through Google chrome, signing in and watching. On my PC monitors it looks dull and muted. Granted the monitors are HDR 400, and the TCL has 800+ nits.

I researched another point. The Oled has an optical out. I have a DAC. So I would connect an optical cable from the tv to the DAC, and could use the headset this way. Obviously I would have to change the headset 3.5mm jack from PC to DAC, then change source in Windows 10. It's feasible.
The ability to use the same headset (through the DAC) when native content is displayed (Netflix, or Amazon app on TV), or through the PC, (Pcie soundcard) was a major confusion.
If ultimately, native content does look better through the native apps, then the headset switching (from PC to DAC) should be easy.

Back
Top Bottom