• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OK let's try a thought experiment here.

Let's say the only two CPUs in the 3000 series were the 3700X and the 3900X.

In the 5000 series the only existing CPUs are the 5600X and the 5800X.

Is that a true generational upgrade?

Associate
But the *true* generational upgrade gives a solid jump in *all* metrics and use cases.

Clearly that is 3700X to 5700X.

Claiming that 3700X to 5600X is a true generational upgrade is bonkers, imho.

I hate to say it, but the clue is in the name...
I understand the viewpoint, but you and your 'true' upgrades aren't a reference point we're all using.

If you want to lean on the name, the first number changing from 3 to 5 is actual confirmation of a generational upgrade :p

Soldato
You're getting nowhere near a "generational upgrade" going from a 3700X to a 5600X.

You're getting ~the same MT perf and a bit more ST perf.

If you think that's a (proper) generational upgrade I've got some magic beans I'd like to sell you...

I want the same money to buy more performance from one generation to the next. From a value perspective, AMD seems to have done "just enough" this time. (Pending independent reviews, of course)

Caporegime
Look if you're all happy for the 5600X to occupy the same price point as the 3700X I'll just shut up.

Clearly you guys all want to pay more. That's fine. Knock yourselves out.

Soldato
Look if you're all happy for the 5600X to occupy the same price point as the 3700X I'll just shut up.

Pay more? For what?

It looks like people can pay the same money and get more performance.

It would have been better to get more..er? performance. But, like I said, AMD seems to have just scraped by on value this gen.

Soldato

I remember 10 years ago when Intel locked out overclocking on B/H series motherboards and non-K CPUs and started pushing up pricing,some people justified it at the start,and we saw how it ended up. Then having not learnt that lesson,it happened again when Nvidia realised they could do the same with all the new tiers,people defended it and it all went swimmingly well! Intel and Nvidia quite happily used that money to subsidise Atom and Tegra tablets to the tune of billions of dollars! :D

But then I remember the Athlon 64 and how AMD went from value hero,to lets see how high we can price things. Then we had some people also justify that but it was much less common than nowadays.

As usual history will repeat itself. People will be fine with it,until it isn't. Then it will be back to square one.

Enthusiasts/fans on forums justifying price increases for their favourite large tech company is a form of internet Stockholm syndrome,because its literally repeating marketing points. Yet in reality you don't see that so much outside of technology and gaming in general for commoditised items. Its why governments step in to put price caps on certain things. Nobody is saying think of that poor old company! :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
I agree with FoxEye to a fair degree. I want a 5700X, after a price drop after it's been out a while, and a Prism cooler. I've been considering a 5600X, but again I don't like the price and I question the future-proofness...and there's also the issue of the horrible flashbacks to the time when I chose a E8400 over a Q6600 :(:o. Thankfully tho, I can wait with this 3770K, possible till Rocket Lake, and see how things are on both sides then.

Associate
An upgrade from a 3700x to a 5600x isn't really an upgrade, you get better single core performsnce but 25% less cores and 20% ipc improvement means less total performance.
The only people that will see an improvement sre people that aren't using all the 8 cores, who shouldve got s 3600x last time.

Caporegime
An upgrade from a 3700x to a 5600x isn't really an upgrade, you get better single core performsnce but 25% less cores and 20% ipc improvement means less total performance.
The only people that will see an improvement sre people that aren't using all the 8 cores, who shouldve got s 3600x last time.
I don't agree. The majority of apps and games that people use (who do not engage in heavier productivity tasks) do not utilise 8 cores and many games stiil utilise 1-4 fast cores. A 5600x is a tangible upgrade to a 3700x in gaming performance if you are on a budget.

Soldato
I don't agree. The majority of apps and games that people use (who do not engage in heavier productivity tasks) do not utilise 8 cores and many games stiil utilise 1-4 fast cores. A 5600x is a tangible upgrade to a 3700x in gaming performance if you are on a budget.

True for now, but crystal ball time will we be saying that in a year or two.

Caporegime
True for now, but crystal ball time will we be saying that in a year or two.
It is obvious that apps are (slowly) getting more multi-core and multi-threadedm there is no need for anyone to write that like it is some kind of of insightful news. However, realistically speaking a 5600x will still be a good gaming CPU in 3 years, especially when gaming at higher resolutions where even 4 year old CPU's are doing a good job. 6 cores is hardly going to be "weak" or "underpowered" any time soon, especially considering how many games still don't even fully and consistently utilize 4 cores yet and quad cores have been around for a decade.

The fact is that a 5600x is an upgrade to a 3700x in terms of general gaming performance and will be 20%+ faster in the vast majority of titles for a while yet.

Soldato
It is obvious that apps are (slowly) getting more multi-core and multi-threadedm there is no need for anyone to write that like it is some kind of of insightful news. However, realistically speaking a 5600x will still be a good gaming CPU in 3 years, especially when gaming at higher resolutions where even 4 year old CPU's are doing a good job. 6 cores is hardly going to be "weak" or "underpowered" any time soon, especially considering how many games still don't even fully and consistently utilize 4 cores yet and quad cores have been around for a decade.

The fact is that a 5600x is an upgrade to a 3700x in terms of general gaming performance and will be 20%+ faster in the vast majority of titles for a while yet.

I agree, I have a 6700k that's still doing great, and i could probably get away with just getting a 3080 card upgrade and still have a pretty good gaming pc. Some people on here are only just upgrading from a 2500k, so yeah cpus do last a while. Next gen consoles are going to have an effect on the cpu's though.

Caporegime
I agree, I have a 6700k that's still doing great, and i could probably get away with just getting a 3080 card upgrade and still have a pretty good gaming pc. Some people on here are only just upgrading from a 2500k, so yeah cpus do last a while. Next gen consoles are going to have an effect on the cpu's though.
Yes agree bakes, 6-8 cores will be good for PC gaming for a while yet. I am buying a 5900x mainly because it's way better value than the terribly priced 5800x, I do some editing and I will be keeping it a good 3-4 years. If I was on a strict budget I would buy a 5600x at launch or wait a little longer for a 5700x. At this point I just want to get all of my CPU/GPU upgrades out of the way and focus on enjoying my PC gaming time again. :)

Associate
Would anyone actually notice any difference between a 3700x and a 5600x when gaming? I don't think they would, IMO it would just be a waste of money, I think we'll see new chips and price drops in January, this is jist a cash grab off the people who want to waste money.

Caporegime
Would anyone actually notice any difference between a 3700x and a 5600x when gaming? I don't think they would, IMO it would just be a waste of money, I think we'll see new chips and price drops in January, this is jist a cash grab off the people who want to waste money.
Yeah, you can notice the difference in RTS games like the Total War series that are heavily dependent on single cores and the minimum frame rate is highly affected by it. It really depends on what games you are playing, but overall minimum framerates in CPU-heavy titles should increase.

EDIT - Just checked my YT subs and lo and behold, Hardware Unboxed have just done a Q&A with this specific question (see below video)...

Their conclusion: the 5600x will be significantly better at gaming and the extra 2 cores of the 3700x won't be much of a factor.[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Associate

I am with you bro.

AMD have got their pricing wrong on this one. At least in the UK.

I will be waiting for the non X parts, ryzen 3 can wait for a bit longer.....

I am not paying £300 quid for 6core 5600x cpu when I payed £210 for 2600x. Lisa can stuff it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom