US: Star Trek: Discovery

Caporegime
Why is that lesbian engineer woman so deadpan? I mean personally it's jarring how she feels out of place on the show, she should be on SNL or some 90s stand-up night.

Episode 2... Yeah fine, a semi decent sci-fi show but not startrek.

Those 1887 energy weapons the bad guys had were ****ing brutal.
That was some graphic murder. Not really needed.... This show certainly dances close to the wire for a using the startrek brand.
I honestly thought it on par with something like the RoboCop origin scene.

Soldato
Episode 2: hmmh hmm

Yeoh was pretty cool

But she was raised Vulcan.

I don't blame the actress, it is her character that is this way, we just have a significant amount of focus on her - imagine a series with Spock as the lead character? It was Kirk etc who gave the show pace and dialogue. There are even some who are complaining she is TOO emotional for someone raised Vulcan.

SQM is actually a very good actress, loved her in The Walking Dead.

Just goes to prove how poor the show runners are :) Lets have a lump of wood for the protagonist and make her a woman of colour so we can deflect all hate hate as racism. I'm not blaming the actress btw. You can't polish a turd

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Why is that lesbian engineer woman so deadpan? I mean personally it's jarring how she feels out of place on the show, she should be on SNL or some 90s stand-up night.

That was some graphic murder. Not really needed.... This show certainly dances close to the wire for a using the startrek brand.

Well unless your time jumping warrior queen the guns seem to loose %50 death capacity. All a bit cliche and ****

Soldato
This episode was so trash, WHY DO THEY HAVE TO DROWN OUT ALL THE DIALOUGUE WITH ******* ****** DRAMATIC MUSIC!?!?!?!?!?

Sometimes silence is fantastic, let the actors act without being drowned out holy ****.

Caporegime
Read the comment about the music drowning out the dialogue too much twice in both Disco threads, and still didn't notice when I watched it :p.

Soldato
An evil or less moral earth would have been good. A shame. Now Discovery has a known save haven with advanced technology.

Soldato
Me neither although I was listening in stereo. Was the issue with the 5.1 soundtrack?

No i didn't mean I could not hear anything.

I was just saying that it felt like they used dramatic music way too much, sometimes letting silence kick in and letting characters talk and act is good.

Look at all old trek like TNG/DS9/Voyager, they didn't CONSTANTLY have thematic music going on in the background to EVERY scene. This allowed you to really feel the seriousness of some situations or when say Picard was talking to someone important. In Discovery there's a track in almost every scene. I might need to go back and watch it again because I was under the influence of a brownie at the time :D.

That was my gripe.

Soldato
I agree regarding the soundtrack. Dialogue I find is overshadowed by the background music way too much and I have subtitles enabled just so I don't miss anything, especially with bumbling Tilly jabbering on. Just let them talk fs.

I agree regarding the soundtrack. Dialogue I find is overshadowed by the background music way too much and I have subtitles enabled just so I don't miss anything, especially with bumbling Tilly jabbering on. Just let them talk fs.

I watched in 5.1 and did not experience this phenonium.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its not getting any better...... that must have been one very very busy tree, maybe even a queuing system for everyone.

America needs to stop making TV as 80% of it is now utter utter trash.

Caporegime
Well, so far I am enjoying Season 3... it's definitely not the worst thing on TV and I find the character of Michael Burnham has improved dramatically. Yes it's still cheesy, idealized and with more plot armour than an M1 Abrams Tank, but at least it's injecting some originality and variety into Star Trek even if it is all very far-fetched (even for the Star Trek universe).

Tilly is for me the most annoying character for different reasons... but the deadpan engineer is just a bad actress who can't even deliver her lines convincingly. I guess they are just trying to inject some character into the typical "yes sir three bags full sir" blandness of starfleet and I think that goal isn't a bad thing.

An evil or less moral earth would have been good. A shame. Now Discovery has a known save haven with advanced technology.

Yeah, I was hoping...
for a bit of a more decrepit and weather-beaten Earth and it still looked like it was some kind of crazy high-tech and idealized Utopia. I think they really missed a trick there by shying away from a more grim and dystopian vision of future Earth, especially since they will presumably reset everything and go back to their normal timeline anyway. Shame.

The Titan colony raider thing was also ridiculously far-fetched.

What can I say though... in the end despite its flaws I still like it and that's enough to keep me watching. :)

Back
Top Bottom