New Mobo Nightmare

Soldato
I thought, from the other thread w/ @thedoc46, that this was going to be simple and straight forward :(
long story:

my last build was getting flaky so i decided to ditch the mobo and update. as per the other thread w/ @thedoc46 i had my OS-only drive set up as GPT so it would be simple just to switch over into the new build. i now have:
gigabye aorus Elite AC mobo
i7 10700k CPU
RM750x PSU
corsair vengeance LPX 2x8gb

so i checked everything, powered up, got the "getting devices ready" and nothing for ages. i eventually spotted on the main BIOS screen that in the SATA list, the OS drive wasn't showing but everything else SATS was. i changed the port, still nothing.
eventually rebooted and used F12 - Boot Menu instead, and that showed the OS drive. i clicked "Start up" or something, and "getting devices ready" got to 66% before stalling. Eventually after another F12 i clicked on the OS drive name itself [i'd thought it was just a heading, not an option! duh!] and i booted into win10; all my stuff is there, and it looks like the GPT transfer has worked.

...BUT....
nowt else is :(
got no internet or LAN, my vid card is not showing, i had the awful low-res screen but thought to fix that later. so i put the driver disc in, it comes up w/ the "express install" list of what it thinks i need - i deselected Chrome, Norton security and Google drive but left the rest ticked, and this is where the fails start.

intel management engine - first on the list, got to 71%, froze. i eventually clicked cancel, and up popped a message saying it's done, reboot! so i did, and it stuck on swirling dots. when i came back there was the ":(" blue screen and it said something about a "power driver issue".

i reboot, and i notice the date is wrong - it's showing 25 Oct, 1:10AM or so, i just saw the 24 Oct last time and thought it was right, never noticed it must have actually been close to midnight. i go to the settings in Windows, click Sync Now, and it just hangs, not sure if it's trying to do it via the internet?

give up on that and try to install stuff on-by-one off the drivers disc. i try the next thing, INF Update Util, and it sticks at 50%. i go to Task Manager, and THAT goes into "not responding" too. i click restart, and it gets stuck again, so i force power-off.

reboot and decide to put the GTX980 drivers on. takes forever, gets to about 98% on the progress bar, and hangs. i notice at this point too that the case USBs don't seem to work, though my mouse and keyboard are. i shut down....it hangs...i force it.

i reboot, it comes to my login screen so i thought i'd try a restart, see what it does when nothing's gone wrong prior - it seems to go to sleep, the screen goes black and there's no reboot, doesn't wake wehn i press keys etc, so i force power-off

having decided to see if flashing the BIOS might help, it eventually found the USB in the special white port on the mobo, and so i've updated to the latest BIOS - about the only thing that's worked! i set my XMP etc, save quit, goes into the same "getting devices ready" thing and i have to repeat the stuff above using F12 to find my OS drive.

eventually i get to the desktop, and it's hi-res now, but still no sign of my 980 and clicking on the nVidia folder gives me an error so maybe the failed install has messed things up.

after another forced restart, i try putting a USB in, and it's found and read fine. i take it out to try another port - nothing, and the none of the ports seem to work, including the one that worked originally.
i try installing Intel management engine thing again, and it sticks at around 10% before giving a fatal error.
i try the Realtek Ethernet - doesn't start the progress bar, i cancel it, task man etc freezes...forced power-off..

i check my build - everything looks good and firmly fixed, reboot, USB is working again so i copy the version of Intel Management engine i got off the website onto the desktop, it stalls, i quit it.
copy the Realtek LAN driver i got off the website onto the desktop, get the Install Shield, and it doesn't start.

i've just uninstalled Malwarebytes because yet again it's ****ing me off w/ pop-ups about the trial expiring etc.
i've run sfc/scannow, and there were no integrity violations, so it would seem the Win10 is ok, but the mobo just doesn't want to know?

can anyone help please..?

TIA

Associate
If you're having this much trouble I would be inclined to reinstall windows with the latest iso you can get.

Soldato
Yeah, sounds like its Windows failing with new hardware.
Running sysprep before changing parts might have helped.

Also those drivers on bundled discs are usually more or less badly outdated and you should have downloaded latest drivers.

Associate
Yeah, sounds like its Windows failing with new hardware.
Running sysprep before changing parts might have helped.
Sysprep does nothing but reset Windows for a new user; it does not remove any old drivers (used to use SYSPREP at work for creating an image of a PC)

Soldato
OP
I did look at sysprep but found much as @geekyadz says. The disc drivers are a couple months out of date, but not bad - they would at least have - SHOULD have - got everything up and running and i could have updated them to more recent ones if needed. at least the BIOS is up to date.

made a little progress ~ i've managed to install LAN drivers so i have the internet now, and can see the remote USB drive i have plugged into my router. I'm at the gigabyte site now [on my other machine], downloading everything i think i need, so i'm going to dump them on the USB and try installing them. the problem is, i'm still getting the hang problem when i try and update drivers - it zipped through the LAN drivers this time and activated it almost immediately but again it failed to close the install shield thing and i have to kill it, and i got the power driver prob again - when i rebooted though the internet was still there so at least it managed enough to make that stable.
it would seem like this Intel Management thing is the main one, hopefully i can get that to install properly.

Associate
I did look at sysprep but found much as @geekyadz says. The disc drivers are a couple months out of date, but not bad - they would at least have - SHOULD have - got everything up and running and i could have updated them to more recent ones if needed. at least the BIOS is up to date.

made a little progress ~ i've managed to install LAN drivers so i have the internet now, and can see the remote USB drive i have plugged into my router. I'm at the gigabyte site now [on my other machine], downloading everything i think i need, so i'm going to dump them on the USB and try installing them. the problem is, i'm still getting the hang problem when i try and update drivers - it zipped through the LAN drivers this time and activated it almost immediately but again it failed to close the install shield thing and i have to kill it, and i got the power driver prob again - when i rebooted though the internet was still there so at least it managed enough to make that stable.
it would seem like this Intel Management thing is the main one, hopefully i can get that to install properly.
Silly question: are you using a mechanical HDD or a SSD/M.2 (NVME)?

Soldato
OP
ssd. drive is all good, it's one of the things we looked at when investigating my issues. all the drives in the machine are in good working order.

Associate
Forgive me if this is too simplified, but I'm not sure if you have used Task Manager before or not.

You can use Task Manager to monitor CPU usage (in performance tab), as well as:
  • Network connectivity usage
  • Memory usage
  • GPU usage
  • Disk drive usage (inc SSDs)
In processes tab it will show what program is using what (example: what percentage of the CPU it is using, what memory it is using, same with disks, network and GPU).

Just a suggestion, but it might start to show where the problem lies. If it is hanging, sounds a little like memory usage is high for me, but let's see what Task Manager actually says.

Soldato
OP
had a look at Task Man whilst trying to redo some drivers;
https://freeimage.host/i/3jABTu
3jABTu

not sure if that signifies anything :-/

Back
Top Bottom