How can three people drown in this pool ?

Man of Honour
I've seen a video where a couple were in a lake, with their camera placed down on the side recording them. You see them swimming when suddenly the man gets into trouble and grabs hold of his girlfriend whilst shes trying to pull him out of there. They both end up going under and do not resurface... The sheer terror and splashing suddenly fades in seconds and the water becomes peaceful again. It's a chilling video and really highlights the dangers of trying to rescue someone who is panicking. Even if you are a skilled swimmer, you could both easily end up dead. Or in this case, three people dead. Awful story.

Man of Honour
this was when I was 25 and was swimming every week. The sea is strong not sure about what happened in this pool. Don’t think I’d ever struggle in a pool like that unless there was a malfunction with it in some way.

Soldato
this was when I was 25 and was swimming every week. The sea is strong not sure about what happened in this pool. Don’t think I’d ever struggle in a pool like that unless there was a malfunction with it in some way.

What happened was the pool got deep in the middle either sloping or a drop.

Soldato
The parents should be investigated

1) they failed to teach their children to swim
2) took them swimming while being unable to swim themselves..
3) they failed to do even the most basic safety checks (is there a life guard, is there a flotation device, how deep is the pool)

The only way (in my opinion) its not criminal negligence on the parents part is if the guy was some how injured or incapacitated entering the pool..

(can confirm I'm a fake keyboard legal unprofessional)

Caporegime
Unfortunately. Probably a couple of cases per year.

Just catching up on this thread, and I've gotta ask: what the ****? How? It's 2020 now, how have these pool installers / pump manufacturers not managed to spread the suction over a larger area to prevent this? This isn't even advanced engineering, literally just the opposite of a distribution head in the bottom of the pool with a freaking huge grate on top will turn that nozzle in to a nice slow little flow. Unbelievable :confused:

I still can't believe there are places where swimming is considered an un-vital life skill. In Saffrica as a kid I was taught to swim the second I could walk, I was taught that water must be respected and that even a calm looking body of water can suck you under and kill you in seconds. People don't realise how dangerous water and currents can be. One moment of inattentiveness can cost you your life.

Soldato
Clicked on the daily mail update on this story,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-brother-sister-drown-Costa-del-Sol-pool.html - google didn't show others.

Regarding her children's knowledge of swimming, she said: 'They have had lessons at school and my youngest child had her last class the week before our holiday.

'They have always swum only in pools, never in the sea, and in areas where they weren't out of their depth.

'They always knew they couldn't be in the area where they weren't out of their depth and could stand up.'

She insisted she thought something 'foreign' to them had led to them being in the deep part of the pool.

She confirmed she was aware of the depths of the pool in its different parts and told police when asked if her children knew that she had 'told her youngest daughter not to go into the middle of the pool because it was the deepest part.'

begs the question on whether swimming lessons do deal with treading water/back-floating ... children in our local pool, while they do lengths, cling to the ends, or stand-up, but I've never seen instructor stop them in the middle.

Soldato
Just catching up on this thread, and I've gotta ask: what the ****? How? It's 2020 now, how have these pool installers / pump manufacturers not managed to spread the suction over a larger area to prevent this? This isn't even advanced engineering, literally just the opposite of a distribution head in the bottom of the pool with a freaking huge grate on top will turn that nozzle in to a nice slow little flow. Unbelievable :confused:

I still can't believe there are places where swimming is considered an un-vital life skill. In Saffrica as a kid I was taught to swim the second I could walk, I was taught that water must be respected and that even a calm looking body of water can suck you under and kill you in seconds. People don't realise how dangerous water and currents can be. One moment of inattentiveness can cost you your life.

I doubt it’s quite as simple as you think though I understand and agree with your point. From some of Dis86’s other posts I don’t think it’s an issue in the UK, it’s other counties who don’t take safety as serious.

Caporegime
Clicked on the daily mail update on this story,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-brother-sister-drown-Costa-del-Sol-pool.html - google didn't show others.

begs the question on whether swimming lessons do deal with treading water/back-floating ... children in our local pool, while they do lengths, cling to the ends, or stand-up, but I've never seen instructor stop them in the middle.

My swimming instructor, in Saffrica, covered this from day one. Obviously this is a country where every second house has a pool in their back yard so it's a lot more relevant than here but still. I'd have thought that this is basic stuff :confused:

I doubt it’s quite as simple as you think though I understand and agree with your point. From some of Dis86’s other posts I don’t think it’s an issue in the UK, it’s other counties who don’t take safety as serious.

I'm pretty sure it is that simple tbh, maybe @Dis86 can confirm? He's a pool boy after all. It should be made law to retrofit these measures at least.

Caporegime

It tends to be in either older or cheaper pools as there are, from memory, no set standards. I always used to include at least 2 outlets for a new build or large scale refurb, it means if ones blocked then there's still suction through the other so you don't have the entrapment risk. The other options are grilles that are specifically designed with raised edges which prevent a person forming a seal over the outlet.

It tends to be small, cheap hot tub types that are the biggest risk. Knocked up in China with no thought to design.

Man of Honour
Did this actually happen or do you think you may have imagined or dreamt it?

Stuff of nightmares but this morning I asked my Dad about it and he had a different story.
He said the bloke had left a bar, saw the pool, climbed to the top diving board and somehow smacked his head on the way down so didn't die of cold like I thought.
I also had weeks of Doctor appointments because I kept waking up screaming.

Soldato
This has reminded me of something I'd completely forgotten about. When I was very young (definitely under 10), a pool I used to use (I can't remember if it was through school or the local paddling pool) had a vent in the floor and we used to deliberately stand on the grille to feel the water rushing between our toes. Blimey. Looks like we each dodged a Darwin award.

Back
Top Bottom