• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's literally the first result in google, if you enter 'platestation'.

Anyway, I'd suggest waiting until people have received the actual product, they also say they're at the prototype stage so haven't actually made the final product.
We will be releasing some footage of the actual plates soon so you can see the textures, colours and quality. Right now the prototype plates are being finalised, so once we move to production we will be documenting each step of the process along the way. The best way to stay in the loop is by signing up to our newsletter via our website

They're £32 btw.

Associate

Anyway, I'd suggest waiting until people have received the actual product, they also say they're at the prototype stage so haven't actually made the final product.

They're £32 btw.
That's an outrageous price for a couple of bits of plastic! Thankfully they'll soon be priced out of the market when Ali etc get on the case.

Soldato

They're £32 btw.

Hmm really weird. When I Googled it - all I got were companies house and other business checking links.

Soldato
No I agree with you totally. Value is a huge part of why I won't go all digital yet. AAA stuff I buy physical and sell/trade. Digital sales I use but would never pay £70 digital even if I knew I would play it for ages. The 25% allocation to digital is because Sony know most people are still for physical but that attitude is changing fast. In another gen we may not see optical then we're kind of screwed and so is the second hand market. Not necessarily a bad thing. If they could match Steam prices we'd probably all jump on board.

Actually digital accounts for more sales than physical now, as of Q1 this year. COVID has obviously had a big impact though, so be interesting what the Q2 results are (Wednesday if you’re interested). Regardless its no where near 25/75, I think the launch disparity is to appease retail until they come up with some kind of licensing model to include them. Maybe a cut of digital sales for each console sold, better margins on psn credit, some kind of clever trade in system etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
These days even brand new just released games need a heavy download when you insert the disc for the first time. Having the disc is simply a pass on the internal security check, the rest is all digital.

If your Internet goes down, you're screwed. At least with physical, you can still play. Even though it's not the latest patch.

Soldato
Actually digital accounts for more sales than physical now, as of Q1 this year. COVID has obviously had a big impact though, so be interesting what the Q2 results are (Wednesday if you’re interested). Regardless its no where near 25/75, I think the launch disparity is to appease retail until they come up with some kind of licensing model to include them. Maybe a cut of digital sales for each console sold, better margins on psn credit, some kind of clever trade in system etc.
The 25/75 I was referring to was Sony allocation of hardware digital/optical. I've also read the digital has surpassed physical in certain titles (FIFA is one). So yeah it's definitely on the up.

Caporegime
These days even brand new just released games need a heavy download when you insert the disc for the first time. Having the disc is simply a pass on the internal security check, the rest is all digital.

Yeah but physical games are actually your own private property, Sony can't come into your house and take them away for any reason. Whereas with digital if you fall foul of increasingly draconian T&C's they can take your account away along with all of your games, or if they go bankrupt or throw in the towel in the console market or whatever. Why would people want to be dependent on another party in order to play their games? if they were half price I could understand it but physical are generally cheaper as well.

Associate
Yeah but physical games are actually your own private property, Sony can't come into your house and take them away for any reason. Whereas with digital if you fall foul of increasingly draconian T&C's they can take your account away along with all of your games, or if they go bankrupt or throw in the towel in the console market or whatever. Why would people want to be dependent on another party in order to play their games? if they were half price I could understand it but physical are generally cheaper as well.
Doesn't matter if its digital or physical the TOS are the same I'm afraid. Ever since you had to install the game onto a hard disc the delivery method to the disc is largely irrelevant - the only difference is with the disc the disc has to be in the drive to play it because that is the authentication method. This isn't required with digital because it authenticated when you downloaded it.

Soldato
You can play in offline mode. So you can play the game without downloading anything. Straight from the disc.

Soldato
I don't get why (fps aside) anyone would want to gimp their new console on a monitor. Even the expensive ones I've had are nowhere near the IQ of my TV.

Back
Top Bottom