• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 or 3090 for ultra wide?

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if the 6900 ends up more expensive than the 3080.

The 6900 is a mythical beast expected to be better than 3090.. or that's how the rumour mill puts it, so it's going to be more expensive than 3080, by how much we don't know..

Also happened to look at few articles, it seems for eth memory bandwidth is the bottleneck .. mh/s is approx 10% of GB/s so just maybe we are insulated from mining demand this time :)

https://cointelegraph.com/news/prel...000-series-may-take-amd-s-crown-in-mining/amp

Associate
Hello

For the first time, I’m dabbling with the idea of building a PC for my ‘man cave’ in my new home.

I have a fairly large budget and I’m quite taken with some of the 49” super Wide monitors I’ve seen. I like the way they can partition off into separate screens and I can foresee it being really useful for work. The videos I’ve seen suggest they are epic for gaming.

I like the idea of some meaty gaming rig that can eat through anything, but I’m also conscious of diminishing returns.

From what I can gather, the 3080 will absolutely demolish most games and the 3090 gives a ~10% performance boost, but the best difference with higher resolutions.

The price difference between the cards is massive.

If getting a large monitor like that, is it wise to go for a 3090? I’m kind of reluctant to throw money up the wall just for peace of mind / simple childish notions of having ‘the best’, but I could buy one if I wanted to.

This is all hypothetical somewhat as they are obviously out of stock. I’m looking to build in q1 of next year, hopefully.

Cheers.
Don’t buy either
There is a 7nm refresh coming soon

Man of Honour
OP
What about an LG OLED 48"? You will get 4K120Hz on that with a 3080/3090.

I get the impression that OLEDs aren’t great for working on documents, which are typically white, because of the automatic screen dimming. It needs to be good for work too. Happy to listen to any contrary opinions on that of course!
Don’t buy either
There is a 7nm refresh coming soon
At least 6 months away.
A refresh of the same cards?

Permabanned
Well, in a month or two I am planning on buying another 3440x1440 monitor. At the moment I have one, but it's 60Hz...still, it allows me to measure what the graphics card can do. I have a 2070S. Some games the frame rate is really good, but for some of the latest titles I play the 2070S can barely manage 60fps. A 3080 should be able to manage at least 100fps with nearly all titles. With slightly less demanding games of course this will be much higher. Destiny 2 for example should be a rock solid 144Hz. So I mean really it depends exactly which monitor you get and which games you play, but if the resolution is higher than 3440x1440 then maybe the 3080 won't be enough if you want to play the very latest titles.

Man of Honour
I guess you’re still at risk of them doing something similar though.

AMD committed to keeping AM4 through 2020, which on paper sounds great but in reality Zen 3 CPUs won't work on the first AM4 motherboards... if I were buying a whole new AM4 system I'd be doing so with my eyes wide open to the fact that I could have 0 upgrade path from there (beyond upgrading to a better Zen 3 cpu) as AMD have not said anything about continuing with AM4 past this year to my knowledge.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, in a month or two I am planning on buying another 3440x1440 monitor. At the moment I have one, but it's 60Hz...still, it allows me to measure what the graphics card can do. I have a 2070S. Some games the frame rate is really good, but for some of the latest titles I play the 2070S can barely manage 60fps. A 3080 should be able to manage at least 100fps with nearly all titles. With slightly less demanding games of course this will be much higher. Destiny 2 for example should be a rock solid 144Hz. So I mean really it depends exactly which monitor you get and which games you play, but if the resolution is higher than 3440x1440 then maybe the 3080 won't be enough if you want to play the very latest titles.
I believe the resolution of the 49” ultra wides is around 5120 x 1440. So yeah it’s quite the whopper.

AMD committed to keeping AM4 through 2020, which on paper sounds great but in reality Zen 3 CPUs won't work on the first AM4 motherboards... if I were buying a whole new AM4 system I'd be doing so with my eyes wide open to the fact that I could have 0 upgrade path from there (beyond upgrading to a better Zen 3 cpu) as AMD have not said anything about continuing with AM4 past this year to my knowledge.
Food for thought, thanks.

I suppose you just have to accept that there will be some element of ‘needing to upgrade’ everything at some point.

Man of Honour
Yeah, except there definitely are good and bad times to drop your cash. This isn't like investing where where time in the market beats timing the market; timing can very much make or break the value of your purchases. Unless you're really going to be pushing your CPU (with the resolution you're talking about, you almost certainly won't be outside of very special cases) I'd go for a second hand Zen 2 system, which gives you room to move up to Zen 3 later when Intel inevitably retaliate and the prices come down, or second hand when people are offloading their Zen 3s down the road. I an absolute deal hound mind, and almost refuse on principle to buy anything that isn't the min:max sweet spot even though it's not healthy, so do your own research and don't trust me :p

Associate
What is the total screen resolution of the monitor you're interested in? Most ultra wides (the 21:9) format are 3440 x 1440 which is less demanding than 4k, for which a 3080 would be absolutely fine.

The 3090 is absolutely a case of diminishing returns, about 10% more performance for 2x the cash. The only people really that can justify the 3090 are those people for who disposable cash is not a problem and will just buy the fastest thing they can get because money is no issue. Or prosumers who can make use of the large amounts of vRAM for professional work.

Soldato
21:9 1440p is '3K' so when watching/reading reviews you can go half way between 1440p (2K) and 4K results to give you a good estimation of where performance will be.

Associate
I have a fairly large budget and I’m quite taken with some of the 49” super Wide monitors I’ve seen. I like the way they can partition off into separate screens and I can foresee it being really useful for work. The videos I’ve seen suggest they are epic for gaming.

I have one of those 49 inch monitors and they are great for work and play. It's just like having 2 27 inch monitors but without the annoying border in between.

Associate
21:9 1440p is '3K' so when watching/reading reviews you can go half way between 1440p (2K) and 4K results to give you a good estimation of where performance will be.

16:9 2160p = 8.3 megapixels
21:9 1440p = 4.8 MP
16:9 1440p = 3.69 MP

halfway between 1440p and 2160p both at 16:9 is about 6 MP.

2K, 4K etc are cinema derived resolutions and are more ways of grouping things into roughly the same no of pixels wide. 32:9 1440p screens would be 5k but less pixels than the main 16:9 4k resolution based around 2160p (UHD) (1440p 16:9 is about 2.5k)

(for reference thos 1440p 32:9 49" monitors are about 7.4MP)

Back
Top Bottom