*** Huawei Mate 40 Pro ***

Soldato
This is such an amazing handset and would have been my next phone had it not been for the lack of GMS.

I haven't tinkered with phones since my Samsung note 3 days so unsure of how easy it is to get them sideloaded or even if Huawei is unlocking bootloaders nowadays.

Nevertheless this is probably the best handset there is out there hardware wise.

Soldato
D

O

A.

Farewell Huawei, you we're the only other Android OEM to make Samsung quake in their boots. Bet they're relieved now.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shame as choice is always a good thing (most often than not). I do wonder if the agenda against Huawei is down to genuine privacy concerns or if it's political?

Have any trusted researchers come out and said they've found capability of interference from the Chinese State in Huawei hardware? Genuine question.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
A Google Play Edition of this phone would be immense. In fact, Google should just buy Huawei's hardware division.
That would stir up the market, if you combined Huawei's hardware with Google's software you are pretty much eliminating the Achilles heel from both devices making a perfect combo? lol

Qv1qlte.gif

Soldato
Looks decent enough and be interested to see the 'plus' model even if I'm not to keen on the Octogon (Pa Kua) shaped lens fascia it has. However, camera wise it still seems like the P40Pro+ is still the best one to get.

#Actually I've got that wrong, the Mate 40 Pro plus improves on the P40 Pro plus specs apparently, and its the Porsche design version with the Octogon lens.

Will try and avoid lol.

Last edited:
Associate
The specs for the Mate 40 pro look excellent but the 5nm Kirin 9000 processor used in the phone has now stopped production due to TSMC being unable to make any more processors for Huawei due to the ban. I own a P40 but I wouldn't touch the Mate 40 with anyone else's barge pole, the lack of GMS is too restrictive for the european market which is reliant on Google Play, this phone will sell in China.

Soldato
If there's one thing you can pretty much guarantee about the xda community it's that they will always find a way. It may be hard for the average punter to follow and require rooting or unlocking bootloaders but they will find a way.

Soldato
The Xda community aren't responsible for the workarounds in my experience, they usually just regurgitate methods found on Chinese sites or post links to YouTube videos copying these Chinese methods/workarounds.

When I got the P40 Pro plus the initial method worked first time, then things became a ball ache.I did a factory reset without backing up once and then went through a hell of a hassle trying to get it to work, numerous YouTube videos, forum visits, download links, zip files containing Malware that luckily windows picked up on, all a right royal pita.

In the end I just settled on Huawei's official stance(s) on side loading apps.

Bottom line was and probably still is - If you rely predominantly on Google apps then don't get a recent Huawei device.

Associate
The Xda community aren't responsible for the workarounds in my experience, they usually just regurgitate methods found on Chinese sites or post links to YouTube videos copying these Chinese methods/workarounds.

When I got the P40 Pro plus the initial method worked first time, then things became a ball ache.I did a factory reset without backing up once and then went through a hell of a hassle trying to get it to work, numerous YouTube videos, forum visits, download links, zip files containing Malware that luckily windows picked up on, all a right royal pita.

In the end I just settled on Huawei's official stance(s) on side loading apps.

Bottom line was and probably still is - If you rely predominantly on Google apps then don't get a recent Huawei device.

100% correct, don't buy a Huawei phone expecting to install the Google play store, the phones are not Google certified so NFC payment methods like GPAY will never work.

Soldato
I also find it completely ridiculous people install these Google Play Service workarounds when they don't know the source of them or if they're doing anything nefarious in the background.

Back
Top Bottom