Who knows about gas fireplaces

Don
Soldato
Yeah I know about gas fires :)

To run an open flue fire you need a chimney, like the ones in your link. If you have a precast flue (imagine a breeze block with a hole through the middle stacked on top of each other to form a flue) you can have a multiflue fire if the hearth and catchment space comply with requirements.

The other way to have an 'open' coal/log effect fire is for it to be fanned out the back, but these are not cheap, are noisy, and draughty.

You can get balanced flued inset glass fronted fires that don't need a chimney, built into the wall, again not cheap and not quick to install either. This is the type I installed in our wall, fire itself was £1.5k has remote control, touch panel etc. Totally not worth it, barely ever use it.

Soldato
my folks have had an inset one for ~20 years , precast flue per flyingfish's comment,
looks attractive and discreet, but barely ever used, as he said.
Central heating is always on anyway, and it would just be an inefficient supplement.
They needed to install a piece of wood to block the flue when its not in use to stop heat escape - be wary of that, also,
when little used coals/refractories get dust that burns off first.

Back
Top Bottom