iphone repairs

Caporegime
OP
Aye but I think they're more forgiving if it was bought directly from them. I know I've had luck in the past which is why I prefer to buy direct rather than through a third party.

i will certainly be considering buying direct from Apple in the future now to be honest.

Associate
Remember if its bought as part of a contract they are still obliged to repair whilst in the term of the initial contract as consumer law states that a product should work as long as can be reasonable expected (or something like that) so you should have coverage for device faults for the full length of the contract..

Caporegime
OP
Remember if its bought as part of a contract they are still obliged to repair whilst in the term of the initial contract as consumer law states that a product should work as long as can be reasonable expected (or something like that) so you should have coverage for device faults for the full length of the contract..

My phone (according to an apple store) is not repairable.

Soldato
Policy changed about 3 years ago.
One technicians 10 days became another’s 25 days

And was always awkward for customers to hear other technicians, resulting in “he’s out of warranty too but your going to cover his repair but why not mine?!” Etc

They used to be really forgiving. Apple replaced an iphone 6s for me that I'd bought 2nd hand and cracked the screen. It was months if not years out of warranty too. They fixed it first, knackered the camera and ended up giving me a replacement.

Soldato

And yes. O2 should be covering it whilst it's still in contract.

Caporegime
OP
So, I speak to O2 and get told to **** off basically.

They say phone is out of warranty and is chargeable, the best thing I should do is make a claim on my house insurance. The contract T&C's state that I do not get anything outside of 12 months warranty and anything through them is chargeable, the girl said that the consumer law does not mean I get anything.

Soldato
So, I speak to O2 and get told to **** off basically.

They say phone is out of warranty and is chargeable, the best thing I should do is make a claim on my house insurance. The contract T&C's state that I do not get anything outside of 12 months warranty and anything through them is chargeable, the girl said that the consumer law does not mean I get anything.

That is appalling customer service. I just don’t understand why companies take this stance. They could just replace it and likely keep your business for who knows, decades, but instead they play hard ball and as a result you’ll likely move elsewhere at the end of your contract.

Caporegime
OP
I don't get it either.

When I mentioned that I will wish to speak with someone who I can register my consumer law claim with in the complaints department (she was in the repair department) she went off, saying I'm out of warranty and it's chargeable, Apple should not have told me to go back to O2, she just kept saying that it's a 12 month warranty and it's a charge for a repair.

Permabanned
I don't get it either.

When I mentioned that I will wish to speak with someone who I can register my consumer law claim with in the complaints department (she was in the repair department) she went off, saying I'm out of warranty and it's chargeable, Apple should not have told me to go back to O2, she just kept saying that it's a 12 month warranty and it's a charge for a repair.

Maybe since the UK is out of the EU Apple may be starting to ramp up policies and procedures or something? Are we even covered by EU law any more?

Soldato
Have a look at the apple warranty page : https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
Reading that consumer law may protect you for upto 6 years. Also did you have apple care with the device, if so that should cover the repair as I understand it

Keep in mind the consumer law provision relates to the retailer - in this case O2.

As has been said above - buying direct from Apple generally get you a better experience. They fixed a MacBook Pro for me that was 6 months out of warranty under consumer law. All I had to do was ask politely.

Caporegime
OP
As I say, this will influence future purchases for sure. The fact the O2 rep flew off the handle at even (politely) mentioning consumer law was quite something.

I Worked in a phone shop once upon a time, I know shouting gets nothing so politely asked and the shutters came down.

Soldato
I contacted the CAB who have given me a template complaints letter to send in.

You could have tried ringing O2 again - you might have ended up speaking to someone more reasonable. I have, in the dim and distant past worked in call centres and have known many employees who will decide "what's right" and then stick to their guns, whatever the customer says. There are many other employees who, when faced with a tricky question, will happily lie or do whatever it takes to get the customer off the phone. It sounds like you've encountered one of these people.

Caporegime
OP
Possible. But as part of the process CAB advised I need to send a written letter with proof of postage and a set time of contact from them, so I guess it has to be done via recorded letter.

Soldato
Have a look at the apple warranty page : https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
Reading that consumer law may protect you for upto 6 years. Also did you have apple care with the device, if so that should cover the repair as I understand it

The six year rule is for inherent faults, i.e. defects that existed at the point of sale but didn't become apparent until later. It's not a six year warranty unfortunately.

Also, whilst there are rules surrounding the expected lifetime of a product, the onus is on the consumer to prove the device simply failed. With something like a phone, you're hard pressed to prove you didn't drop it or something.

Soldato
I think my problem is that it’s not repairable

I believe a complete failure is still covered.

uc

Back
Top Bottom