• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
To be fair Apple go straight in with astronomical prices, no room to increase within any reason
A 3090 is 10% faster than a 3080 and is priced at over twice the price. That's's astronomical, surely? And yet the gouging continues above that at many places.

Apple was just an example, not all retailers do this. Some honour RRP even for items in demand. Not necessarily because they hate money, but because they know customers can punish them for profiteering by avoiding them.

PC enthusiasts basically put up with it. THAT'S the difference.The other reasons offered are trivia and apologia.

Associate
prices change based on availability .... nothing you can do about it

Reminds me of this.

giphy.gif

Associate
A 3090 is 10% faster than a 3080 and is priced at over twice the price. That's's astronomical, surely? And yet the gouging continues above that at many places.

Apple was just an example, not all retailers do this. Some honour RRP even for items in demand. Not necessarily because they hate money, but because they know customers can punish them for profiteering by avoiding them.

PC enthusiasts basically put up with it. THAT'S the difference.The other reasons offered are trivia and apologia.
titans were even more expensive and people still have been buying them... ;]
Looking at the 5700k or 5800k coming from my 6850k it should be a nice upgrade, It will be nice to have an AMD CPU again! The last I had was a Athlon XP 1800+ :D
it will be a good upgrade ... definitely

Soldato
Its 12C/24T and almost the same performance as the Ryzen 9 3900X. Its really a bargain if you get it as part of a bundle at that price. Got a mate to upgrade from a Phenom II X6 to one. Fantastic CPU!

Yeah I just had a look some really good deal on them. I somehow got it stuck in my head it was a non SMT chip like the 3500X.

Associate

Yeah no apologies here for the tactics we've seen. But Apple clearly not a good example if we're looking for a company that is reasonable with pricing :)

Associate
titans were even more expensive and people still have been buying them... ;]

it will be a good upgrade ... definitely
And Titans offered workstation capabilities that the 3090 doesn't.

Regardless, you're getting bogged down in minutia- companies have a choice whether or not to gouge, it is not universal or inevitable.

Associate
Catching up on this thread and thought I was in a wrong place.
Why is discussion about Apple and 3080 and titans?

Why is no one talking about 5950X setting another record in Passmark?

Associate
Yeah no apologies here for the tactics we've seen. But Apple clearly not a good example if we're looking for a company that is reasonable with pricing :)
Again the point is not 'reasonable' pricing, it's about retailer pricing decisions undermining consumer expectations (and therefore trust) and how that it a choice we needn't excuse.

Of course they're free to do it, especially because PC enthusiasts are an impatient and (ultimately) tolerant group. Quick to forgive when the new shiny is for sale.

Associate
Catching up on this thread and thought I was in a wrong place.
Why is discussion about Apple and 3080 and titans?

Why is no one talking about 5950X setting another record in Passmark?
Because pricing is a relevant factor in all price:performance discussions, so we were talking about that.

No one is stopping you from talking about Passmark, so feel free.

Soldato
Don

List prices in various UK based shops are
1060KF ~£239
1060K ~£249
5600x £289(only overclockers.co.uk has a list price )

Don't forget that for i5-1060K/KF you need a new motherboard, good old b450/x470 will still support 5600x, and 550/570 motherboard have advantage of PCI-e4 storage = faster loading.
Any price difference in favour of i5 gets lost in motherboard upgrade costs, not to mention that in productivity ryzen 5600x spanks i5 so hard it's not even fun watching anymore.
For anyone using PC for ore than gaming, including anyone wanting to montage gaming videos it would be mad to go with intel right now.
For anyone not already spending £700+ on a GPU then this CPU with the extra £150 into the GPU would give more gaming performance that a 5600X.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £148.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom