• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x or 5800x for gaming?

Soldato
I have been looking to upgrade my ryzen 1700 to a 3700x but as I game on a 38" ultrawide I'm not so sure it's worth it.
I found a vid on youtube testing a nvidia 3080 and at 4k my gains would be between 6 to 10 fps.
My monitor is freesync 75hz so now seems a bit pointless as I can put the money into a better gpu

You would probably be ok with those settings in a lot of titles. You’ll be very graphics top heavy, but if the 1700 can hold 60ish FPS with decent frame times and FreeSync it should be a pretty decent gaming experience.

Associate
I have been looking to upgrade my ryzen 1700 to a 3700x but as I game on a 38" ultrawide I'm not so sure it's worth it.
I found a vid on youtube testing a nvidia 3080 and at 4k my gains would be between 6 to 10 fps.
My monitor is freesync 75hz so now seems a bit pointless as I can put the money into a better gpu
I think you'll be okay in plenty of games, but you'll be pushing the limits of your CPU in others.

Framerates will be good, but you might find frametime consistency is rockier than on a faster CPU.

Soldato
I think you'll be okay in plenty of games, but you'll be pushing the limits of your CPU in others.

Framerates will be good, but you might find frametime consistency is rockier than on a faster CPU.

Yeah, it will be very game dependent and some games will probably be less then great. FreeSync will help smooth out the bumps to some extent and tuning the memory and IF can also help in some games.

Soldato

Another thing I forgot is I have a rift s which I believe is 1400p, hopefully when the new ryzens come I might be able to pick up a 3700x or 3600 at a decent price

Associate
Another thing I forgot is I have a rift s which I believe is 1400p, hopefully when the new ryzens come I might be able to pick up a 3700x or 3600 at a decent price
Good shout. I think the best deals will be after the 5600 and 5700X are here, so there's more competition at lower prices.

Soldato
5900X is very likely a 6+6 core CCX design, whereas 5800X is a single 8-core CCX design. So right now I expect very little difference, but once the games start to use full 8 cores, the difference might begin to show.

Associate
5900X is very likely a 6+6 core CCX design, whereas 5800X is a single 8-core CCX design. So right now I expect very little difference, but once the games start to use full 8 cores, the difference might begin to show.
Me too, but more cache and clock speed will help. For an intensive 8 core game (that somehow doesn't scale past 8) the 5800X will stand out.

I think it's main strength will be offering very similar gaming performance to the 5900X whilst still having headroom over the 5600X.

Soldato

I think the difference will start to become more and more apparent as the load on all cores increases. That is part of a larger process though. API’s, OS scheduling, graphics drivers, game engines and graphics hardware also need to be considered.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the difference will start to become more and more apparent as the load on all cores increases. That is part of a larger process though. API’s, OS scheduling, graphics drivers, game engines and graphics hardware also need to considered.
But such things could also benefit from having 4 more cores, so I think it might be quite a nuanced situation that varies between even similar use cases.

Associate
OP
Assuming single core scores are very similar across 5xxxx CPUs, potentially at this time 5600x makes the most sense for what you get (perf/$$$). However in a year or two it is hard to predict if games will be optimized for more +6 cores usage or not.
Since this is the "last stand" for AM4 platform and DDR4, IMHO buying the best you can afford is wiser than buying what you need today. Thus I'm going with 32Gb of RAM and leaning toward 5900x ( or at least 5800x ).
If you are one users who likes to upgrade (sell old /buy new) whenever they have need, going with 5600x for now and then upgrading to stronger 5xxxx maybe more sense. I dunno. LOL

Associate
Honestly I see so many ppls comments wait for benchmarks but truth to be told you already answered yourself. If it's 1440p gaming and you going to run 3080 on 165 Hz monitors can't think of any game that would benefit from having 5900x over 5800x. Truth to be told probably even 5600x would max out the FPS for such monitors.
I'd only consider 5900x if they gonna do something else on then PCs other than gaming

Soldato

The consoles are using Zen2 based CPUs with a 4+4 CCX design. That means every major engine which is used on console games,will have to be programmed to take that into consideration. The games which will benefit the most from the unified CCX are older ones which are latency sensitive IMHO,and have no Ryzen optimisations so don't take the 4+4 design into consideration. So a 6+6 CCX design won't be such an issue with newer engines. So in the end I would take the Ryzen 9 5900X over the Ryzen 7 5800X. For £100 more you get higher boost clocks and 50% more cores too.

Back
Top Bottom