• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you consider an upgrade?

Associate
Afternoon all, I have a system with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X as the cpu. With the new Ryzen 5000 series coming out, if theoretically you had the funds, would you upgrade to a 5900X or wait until the next generation to come out. I know it’s a difficult to answer until the reviews are out but was just wondering.

Associate
If I had 3900x I'd skip the entire 5000 series and probably everything until am5 is out unless you in desperate for couple FPS more in some games.
There is some unique cases when it's worth it but in 99% other cases it's not

Associate
Typically I'd say just skip a generation if you already have one of the very top components.
That said, given the major change in architecture I'd take the upgrade this time round

Man of Honour
It depends entirely on your use case, but no matter which way you cut it it isn't worth it in my opinion unless it's late on in the cycle and there are good deals available.

Soldato
If you game at 1080P with a high end GPU then upgrade otherwise it's probably not worth it with AM 5 arriving in another year whereas AM4 is EOL now.

Back
Top Bottom