• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
And then..

Everyone will cancel 3080 orders and buy 6800xt which will then promptly make it go out of stock .

If the benchmark are to be believed, 3080 stock shortage will look like a full release in comparison.

Very possible. People tend to have a very monocausal thinking and have blamed delays as simply "Nvidias fault" rather than considering it could be a mix of factors, which include slower supply chain due to Covid, and demand legitimately being higher. It seems entirely plausible to me that a competitive set of hardware by AMD could attract many people queuing for Nvidia cards (including myself) and create excess demand they're not expecting. This could switch the problem to them selling out and queues on their side. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet there's going to be a lot of people queuing for these cards, if everyone expects to get one day 1...i'd revise that belief.

Soldato
I need a new card as I promised my son my RTX2070 and he is desperate for it as he has a radeon 4Gb 470. But I will not rush in on wednesday, will wait a bit till things settle down and if all the cards are overpriced I will just get an xbox series x and buy a cheapie card for my pc. Am pretty sick the way these prices have gone and the gouging by retailers. At least I know I will get an xbox at rrp at some point.

Soldato
They had a £180/200 6 core if they don't bring one out at around £200/220 they will lose a lot of sales, you think they going to do that, as the 3600 was one of their best selling cpu's and that was down to price per performance.
Who will they lose sales to? People will most likely just buy the 3600 so either way AMD win and it also means that prices for zen 2 can stay higher than they would otherwise.

That's exactly what I'm dreading then everyone jumps on AMD "not having enough supply"... well they would have if 3000 series was good enough... hahaha... I've said from day one I'd 99% be going AMD anyway this year and knowing my luck I'll be number 3,451 in the queue on opening day rofl

This is another reason why AMD won't price these cards cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
Or they think that no one will pay for extra ram on a card that still loses to AMD.
yeah but which one is more likely? :)
also if big navi was really competitive nvidia would have done everything in their power to make more 3080s before big navi's launch.
these companies have means,resources and the motivation to find out these information.I'm sure they had a good idea about big navi performance from months ago.

Soldato
yeah but which one is more likely? :)
also if big navi was really competitive nvidia would have done everything in their power to make more 3080s before big navi's launch.
these companies have means,resources and the motivation to find out these information.I'm sure they had a good idea about big navi performance from months ago.
Maybe nvidia is waiting to play the DLSS 3.0 trump card.

Man of Honour
The high TDP and lack of OC headroom point to Nvidia being worried. They cranked their cards up to 11 this time.

Nah that is just Samsung 8nm - there is a trade off versus 7nm in power use and if you were to dial it back you might as well stick with 12FF or a 10nm process.

Soldato
Nah that is just Samsung 8nm - there is a trade off versus 7nm in power use and if you were to dial it back you might as well stick with 12FF or a 10nm process.

They could have kept the power reasonable, got a small incrimental improvement over Turing, and let the return to reasonable pricing sell the cards.

They didn't have to push the cards this hard if AMD couldn't compete at the high end.

Soldato
They could have kept the power reasonable, got a small incrimental improvement over Turing, and let the return to reasonable pricing sell the cards.

They didn't have to push the cards this hard if AMD couldn't compete at the high end.

Except it seems AMD will compete well though. So much so NV already cancelled a couple of improved models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom