Mesh chair for sitting 14h a day

Associate
Hi,

Who can advise me a very good chair for sitting long hours all day? 12h a day is norm, I am IT admin working from home..
My reqs are quite specific thou..
- mesh back
- head support
- 4D armrests - or possibility to replace original ones with 4D capable
- up to £300
are must-have's.

Someone mentioned 24h call-centre chairs, was looking and it is close to what I look for, but haven't found THE ONE exact chair after few days of looking.. :(

Not much interested in looks to be honest, I am not youtuber or influencer to show up, place comfort way above looks.

Associate
I'm looking for a chair in a similar budget and a similar usage requirement (working from home and then gaming).

I'm currently considering the GT Omega Pro XL. It will be interesting to see what gets suggested.

Associate
For that budget I would suggest an Aeron, but I think you will struggle for £300. Otherwise look for:

New ErgoChair 2
Refurbished Steelcase Series 1
Refurbished Herman Miller Mirra 1
Refurbished Steelcase Think v2

For the latter options, even though they will be refurbs the original product quality is much higher than ErgoChair 2 - and so should last longer.

Associate
OP
Aeron doesn't have head rest, disqualified, I do watch loads of movies as well as gaming.
Ergo Chair - dang, just a tad above budget - it has all I look for thou.
others, will look them up later, not been in market for refurbished at all and not sure where to start looking TBH.

Soldato
Aeron doesn't have head rest, disqualified, I do watch loads of movies as well as gaming.
others, will look them up later, not been in market for refurbished at all and not sure where to start looking TBH.

You don't need a head rest if you have proper support.

Associate
OP
I actually do, it's a loads of casual movie watching as well, so it is for me a mandatory feature...
Waiting now for Black Friday, maybe some Ergo Chair 2 price drop will come my way this festive season :)

But other suggestions still welcome..

Associate
Get a used Herman miller. It really baffles me when people buy a £1000 GPU but use a £50 chair that's been used for the last 10 yrs! your back health isn't something to cheap out on. Forget those gamer chairs, they're trash. A proper chair will do wonders for your back, especially now that everyone is working from home. I've got a Herman Miller Mirra2 which has been amazing, I used to use a cheap Ikea chair and my butt got numb after a couple of hours on it, but the Mirra2 is like sitting on air. I can easily sit an entire day without any discomfort.

Associate
I actually do, it's a loads of casual movie watching as well, so it is for me a mandatory feature...
Waiting now for Black Friday, maybe some Ergo Chair 2 price drop will come my way this festive season :)

But other suggestions still welcome..
There is an unofficial headrest attachment for the Aeron.

Associate
OP
I think I am now pretty much ErgoChair 2 oriented. Refurbished - don't feel like buying used stuff, it's just psychologically not my thing.

Also - wife accepted solution and budget, sooo....

Associate
OP
yeah, still a thousand pounds worth, no help here :(
Ergo has now 80 pounds off which is 25%-ish.. still waiting for BF deal, or Cyber Monday dels, or strike of luck or them screwing up website pricing when changing desings or smtg that will put it under 300 inc VAT :)

If unlucky will kick myself and accept facts - will need to search for some more time :)

Soldato
You keep getting suggestions and keep shooting them down.

You'd be better off just getting any mesh chair with a head rest if youre not going to take anything on board at all.

Associate
OP
Please, do not get
Hi,
My reqs are quite specific thou..
- mesh back
- head support
- 4D armrests - or possibility to replace original ones with 4D capable
- up to £300
are must-have's.
For that budget I would suggest an Aeron, but I think you will struggle for £300. Otherwise look for:
New ErgoChair 2
Refurbished Steelcase Series 1
Refurbished Herman Miller Mirra 1
Refurbished Steelcase Think v2
Hey, don't get me wrong, I did got few suggestions and checked them out and as far as my req's are this one ticks all the reqs and fits in the bill(ish). So far have not got any better option. HM's are way above budget, but if you have any refurbished chairs proven seller - please let me know via PM, I literally not bought anything second hand except for cars..
You are all fixiated on HM Aeron - and from amount of mentions it's definitely a chair to go for stricly office work, but I did put head support on second place for a reason...

I was in bit of banter's mode when mentiond 'kicks in butt' etc - I have not seen better option but this is not yet done deal and if anyone has new suggestion I am still on the lookout as I don't have to buy anything right now - I want to buy something good. And I am family man earning decent but not 6 figure high salary and wife's approval for spend is part of family life..
My shopping preference is to get functionality over looks all day long and as I mentioned - i was looking for 24/7 operator's chairs on few websites as well.

Adding:
ATM I had option to bring my office chair home - it's 'a OK', and this will do for work, but I deeply miss Marcus' tall back and that cushion on top - but my wife actually told me to forget buying second new Marcus for lack of 4d armrests.. Current Marcus is squeaking and scretching all the time now... Did asked in another thread for options to 'repair it', but there was not much hope in your replies for it..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I do have wireless headset for Teams, and your suggestion is absolutely valid. I try to get my 5 minutes breaks every hour, but I am not in direct user support role and you just can't take backup or vSphere console on a walkabout while working on them :)

On that subject - I was actually looking at motorised sit/stand desk to limit sitting hours to remediate this - but pitching this idea to wife was let's just say greatly unsucesfull.. ;) I just say - time and patience :) On other side there's legitimate issue of floor space - room dimentions literally forces me to have narrow desk with pull out keyboard drawer, I will physically won't fit anything more than 600mm in space I have available and I am pretty much forced to use pull out drawer to get around.

Soldato
Soldato
I do have wireless headset for Teams, and your suggestion is absolutely valid. I try to get my 5 minutes breaks every hour, but I am not in direct user support role and you just can't take backup or vSphere console on a walkabout while working on them :)

On that subject - I was actually looking at motorised sit/stand desk to limit sitting hours to remediate this - but pitching this idea to wife was let's just say greatly unsucesfull.. ;) I just say - time and patience :) On other side there's legitimate issue of floor space - room dimentions literally forces me to have narrow desk with pull out keyboard drawer, I will physically won't fit anything more than 600mm in space I have available and I am pretty much forced to use pull out drawer to get around.
Sit/Stand desks are good

Back
Top Bottom