• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
would be interested to know who is still using their X58?

I am still on mine its playing 4k just fine with my 1080Ti, have not tried to play newer games. Been playing Doom eternal and resident evil 2 etc
just fine. Could probably stretch the system for another 2 years if willing to compromise on settings.

cant believe how long she has lasted, Intel used to make great chips when they cared.

I have a faster AMD system, honestly gaming I hardly noticed the difference, unless you glue your face to FPS counter.

Associate
Finally upgraded my x5660 today to a ryzen 3600 and 3600mhz ram, cant say windows is any faster. If any thing it doesnt feel as snappy somehow. Gaming wise im using a 1070 at 1440p and warzone seems to be a bit smoother in busy areas, possibly 3 or 4 extra fps.

What a great rig the X58 xeon was and is :)

Associate
Sorry for bumping a fairly inactive thread but wasn't sure where to post, running into some issues on an ASUS P6X58D-E. I've had my fair share of X58 rigs but this one has absolutely stumped me, will try to explain it best I can.

Board was advertised with an i7 950 & stock cooler as faulty with the DRAM LED being permanently on, I know first gen i7's had weak imc's so I took the risk and bought it for £26. It arrives, I connect it all up to boot and run into the error mentioned in the description. Hit the memok button, machine restarts and boots perfectly fine. Ran stress tests/benchmarks, passed fine. Decided to upgrade it a bit so I ordered an X5650 (mad how cheap they are now), 12GB RAM kit and a Noctua NH-U12P SE2. Xeon arrived first and this is where the first strange issue comes in; Put the X5650 in, DRAM LED stays on with no boot. Put the i7 950 back in, it boots. Swap the X5650 back in, it boots. Again, run bench/stress tests and it passes fine.

RAM and Noctua turns up today so I go for gold and just throw it all in at once to be again greeted with no post and the DRAM LED on. Start fiddling to no avail so I throw the 950 back in, lo and behold it boots, all RAM recognized - this was with the heatsink just standing on the cpu, no mounting. Swap it out for the X5650 with the heatsink resting on it, recognizes all RAM and boots. Tighten up all the heatsink etc, back to not booting with the LED on again. With the whole weak IMC thing I backed off the mounting pressure incrementally until it gets to BIOS. Tightened the heatsink down again whilst it's running, reboot and it gets to Windows fine. Run stress test, passes. Turned it off, booted it 20 minutes later, back to the DRAM LED. Given that it would boot with the heatsink loose/no backplate, but hangs with it all tightened I start thinking maybe the backplates shorting something out. Removed the Noctua, threw the stock cooler back on and again no boot. Put the 950 back in with the stock cooler, boots. Put the Noctua on the 950, no boot until I backed off the tightness and it boots fine. Decided to leave it at that point for now until I can really have a think about it.

My main conclusions are either; faulty board which would make sense as it was listed as faulty though ran fine initially, faulty Xeon which again also makes sense as the issues only seem to pop up with the Xeon in the system, or the whole weak IMC/heatsink pressure thing although afaik the weak IMC's were on the original 45nm Nehalem chips, not sure if that applies to the 32nm Westmere chips. Whole thing has rattled my head for the time being so will take a look at it tomorrow, any ideas/input is appreciated.

Full spec is x5650/i7 950, Asus P6X58D-E, 12GB of Kingston HyperX blu 1600MHz 6x2gb, Asus GTX 680, Noctua NH-U12P SE2 & 650w Corsair PSU.

Back
Top Bottom