• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I suspect they have a shortage of components to satisfy existing pre orders so can't respond to AMD's launch with further SKU's that would essentially be severely supply constrained.

I don't know if there is anything to this (and Kopi thinks it is GA103) but supposedly nVidia has a load of salvage GA102 and salvage GDDR6X they want to use and is behind the cancelling of the 10 and 20GB cards. Supposedly lower clock speed on the VRAM and an odd VRAM amount.

Associate
Except it seems AMD will compete well though. So much so NV already cancelled a couple of improved models.
How so? that makes zero sense.cancelling better cards can only mean they are not needed,that current line up are good enough to beat competitor.and that they can focus on the production of current range.

Soldato
How so? that makes zero sense.cancelling better cards can only mean they are not needed,that current line up are good enough to beat competitor.and that they can focus on the production of current range.

Very subjective that.

It's factual to say they are not in production and were for a niche market. Meanwhile Nvidia already has vastly less cards than the demand.

So why would Nvidia spend part of the production budget on making new lines of cards instead of making more of the (new) cards they already can't sell enough of.

Associate
Assuming price and performance are close enough this will be a battle of logistcs over the short to medium term. Or atleast until availability in both camps are good enough for choice to be a factor.

Associate
I'd totally be up for buying one of these new AMD cards if I wasnt locked into buying NV for G-Sync.... really woulda loved to have supported them this time around!

You are not locked in, not unless you absolutely definitely must have G-Sync at all costs ;) Besides you can always sell it and purchase a Freesync / G-Sync compatible screen, i know theres plenty out the there that will do both now :)

Soldato

If they think AMD already have a strong offering that they fear will be more competitive, NV will need to drop prices. They aren't likely going to drop prices and add more VRAM. Producing larger VRAM models would also further constrain production of the lower cards if you could make 2 3080's for every 3080 Super/Ti 20GB. They clearly have some sort of issue(s) with their supply chain so they wouldn't sensibly choose to compound it further with new models. I suspect NV will increase the marketing of their proprietary features to shift the emphasis away from pure performance comparisons to push what they have of Ampere with maybe some new lower end SKU's. Essentially NV I think will be trying to accelerate to their 4000 series while maintaining a reduced lineup of 3000 series to meet any contractual obligation on volumes of components committed to.

Associate
If I had to put money on it, I'd bet there's going to be a lot of people queuing for these cards, if everyone expects to get one day 1...i'd revise that belief.

Absolutely spot on.... You can't even buy a decent webcam 6 months into Covid, so the supply issues are quite widespread. There is also the matter of the big XBOX + PS5 launches which AMD are producing. There just isn't going to be that much stock.

The only saving grace is that AMD Navi is likely to have less demand than Nvidia, even if they have a fantastic product, I suspect the demand will still be much less than NVidia experienced.

Associate
Absolutely spot on.... You can't even buy a decent webcam 6 months into Covid, so the supply issues are quite widespread. There is also the matter of the big XBOX + PS5 launches which AMD are producing. There just isn't going to be that much stock.

The only saving grace is that AMD Navi is likely to have less demand than Nvidia, even if they have a fantastic product, I suspect the demand will still be much less than NVidia experienced.

To be fair i dont *Have* to have a new card, id like something more powerful than my 5700XT for Cyberpunk 2077, but im not against turning down settings for it on my PC and waiting til next year for a Partner OC'd version of the tier i want :) Besides i will buy the game on both PC and XBoX Series X, like i did with Division and Diablo4 on PC / Xbox One X, so i can enjoy 4K visuals on my TV if im that desperate for eye candy. I just want a new card more than actually needing one.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people expect AMD to undercut Nvidia by a significant amount, if at all considering it looks like they have parity. History over the past few releases has shown that if AMD have something competitive, they are going to price it around the similar tiered Nvidia offering.

R9 Fury X was $650, same price as the much better 980Ti.
R9 Fury was $550

So if AMD have a GPU that beats or matches 3080 then expect prices that $650 - $700. If the rumours are true that they have a 3090 level GPU then expect prices to be at least $1000 - $1200.

The truth is AMD are through undercutting their profit margins to appease people who would never go AMD regardless of price/performance. Why would any business actively want to pursue sales from idiots who proclaim "I will only consider AMD if they are faster and much cheaper than Nvidia, cus stupidity"

Associate
I was all up for buying a 3080 day one to replace my 1080. I remember picking up a 970 pretty much day one after the glowing reviews.

Fast forward to now and it's turned into a bit of a farce. The plus side is all the madness took away my impulsive purchase and I can now see what AMD have on offer. I cannot see any kind of competitive pricing until supply outstrips demand. Q2 2021 maybe.....

The Spiderman analysis by DF for the PS5 seems to suggest some decent performance from AMD graphics card tech. Definitely looking promising. I have a 1440p monitor.

Series X on pre order. Cyberpunk pre ordered on PC though. I can see me playing lots of my back catalogue on Series X if we get a nice 60 fps boost.

Soldato
Since Lisa Su took charge they have priced their cards higher than expected every release. Remember Polaris? Everyone expected the 480 to be sub $200, It was for a limited run of 4GB models. Remember Vega? everyone saying that they wouldn't price it higher than the 1080 as it was a year late and they needed to win market share? AMD priced it higher. And again the 5700xt/55700, even at $399 and $349 people were expecting the prices to be cheaper.

I don't know what they will charge for the new cards, but, Lisa Su has been very vocal about changing the mindset of AMD been the budget GPU brand. The reason AMD have been cheap in the past is they have sacrificed Margins to do that. They aren't sacrificing margins anymore.

If the 3080 competitor is faster, while using less power then I wouldn't be surprised if it was $699, especially if they have a plentiful supply of cards. With Nvidia's stock situation been so bad, they might even charge more. The demand for GPUs is massive right now. As long as AMD don't mess the launch then they will sell every card they make, even at $649+ prices.

I think it would be a mistake to price them so high to be honest.

I'm certainly interested, but I've regretted buying a 5700XT over a 2070S pretty much since I got it. Seemed like a decent option on paper; 90% of the performance for ~20% cheaper, but after 6 trouble-free years on Nvidia cards, I've had nothing but issues since. I'm still running the 19.12.1 drivers because every later version I've tried so far causes me random black screens & games crashing to desktop for no reason. I have a Freesync screen, so would make sense to stick with AMD, but the card would have to be decent value for me to take the gamble again.

If they come in at the same price as Nvidia, the performance will have to be significantly better, or I'll just wait a few months and grab a 3070/3080 (or a 2nd hand 2080ti).

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The truth is AMD are through undercutting their profit margins to appease people who would never go AMD regardless of price/performance. Why would any business actively want to pursue sales from idiots who proclaim "I will only consider AMD if they are faster and much cheaper than Nvidia, cus stupidity"

We have said this particularly on the AMD threads as it tends to have more AMD buyers adding their thoughts (still attracts the nvidia worshippers as they like a good troll). I agree with you.

A handful of brainwashed folk - that as you rightly put - will never buy an AMD card anyway, have this fallacy that its AMD's fault prices are high and they only want them to compete performance wise (as they misunderstand) that its going to drop nvidias high prices for them to buy another nvidia card for cheaper. Thats the beef of the nonsense.

Associate
Is there any way we could reasonably secure one of AMD's new cards when they launch? How are OCUK going to handle this? I would love if priority went to forum members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom