• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Permabanned
So, mine works with HP machines - desktop powered by Intel Core i5 8500 class, and mobile with some type of Core U models.

I have worked with several companies so far and yet all of them used Intel processors of some type - be it Pentium, Core 2 or Core i-something.

So, what about yours?

Soldato
Until very recently you'd have had to try quite hard to buy anything but Intel from HP, Dell, Levono, Fujitsu, etc. Because the AMD offerings were pretty poor there was no reason to try and buy them.

I've been buying PCs for SMEs for 20+ years and a Ryzen based Dell laptop that's due for delivery on Monday is the first non-Intel I bought in that time.

Permabanned
OP
Until very recently you'd have had to try quite hard to buy anything but Intel from HP, Dell, Levono, Fujitsu, etc. Because the AMD offerings were pretty poor there was no reason to try and buy them.

I've been buying PCs for SMEs for 20+ years and a Ryzen based Dell laptop that's due for delivery on Monday is the first non-Intel I bought in that time.

Even when Athlon 64 was the faster option.

I read here in these forums that there are cases when the company allows its subordinates to build the machines of their choice, so that effectively they can choose Ryzen also.

It's very frustrating to know that Ryzen is on 7nm-class manufacturing process allowing huge saving on power bills and also the purchase invoices, and you have to be stuck with the inferior Intel option.

Soldato
The power consumption on a modern business PC is minimal, Intel or AMD.

Most of the time in a business you want conformity. If you walk into a business and they've got a load of random self-built PCs you know it'll be a nightmare.

Permabanned
OP
The power consumption on a modern business PC is minimal, Intel or AMD.

It depends on the load - I'd agree if the load is low and predominantly the office packages.
But if it's a serious workstation with many cores and heavy workload, then AMD's CPUs offer much better performance/watt.

Imagine how a 35 or 45-watt Ryzen 4000 series mobile APU beats with ease a 95-100-watt Core i7 or Core i9.
Or that a 15-watt Ryzen 7 4700U / Ryzen 7 4800U runs circles around Intel's 65-watt offerings.

Most of the time in a business you want conformity. If you walk into a business and they've got a load of random self-built PCs you know it'll be a nightmare.

Maybe there will be more work for the IT employees, but nothing scary in having your own choice. Even HP today may offer Ryzens in their office desktop offerings.

Associate
I work for a smaller company & we do CG, so this is a bit of a different scenario.
We just buy prebuilt gaming machines w/ certain upgrades like more RAM, higher core-count CPUs, always 80+ gold power supplies, windows pro, decent monitors etc.
We just follow the trends of what's best value, so 3-4 years ago, everything was Intel, now everything is Ryzen, there was a gradual change-over inbetween.
But we only ever buy NVidia graphics cards, because although AMD are perfectly good for gaming cards, we need Cuda & in content creation software, NVidia cards just do better & more hassle-free, in general.

Associate
We are not all idiot robots who cede to the been counters every time, at least not the good IT people i know.

We have used AMD before and will use them again, when purchasing machines if i see an AMD option and its general spec is similar to the intel offering i will prob buy those in.
Trouble is of course getting past the Intel $$$ for the big manufacturers and actually getting some decent AMD options.

Soldato
When i worked as admin in schools primarily Intel due to the turnkey solutions such as RM community connect etc.. only really tailored to their hardware for mostly hassle free integration and they only sold Xeon servers and Intel chipset desktop machines. Oddly enough a few of their own laptops made by Asus, Compal etc.. were AMD.
We built a few machines when budget was tight and used AMD parts and for the most part it worked ok but took 3 times more work to get running, not due to AMD but mostly down to general support of 3rd party hardware.

Man of Honour
Intel throughout AFAIK - not aware of any AMD machines. Mostly i5s and low power spec i3s. Some of the servers are still rocking LGA771 Xeons.

Associate
Not involved in the IT side of things at work at all (I'm a Surveyor), but every PC or Laptop I've ever been supplied has pretty much been a Dell or HP with an Intel processor, over the 5 or so companies I've worked for in my career to date.

Soldato
We use thin clients for 95% of our estate with a limited number of desktops deployed where a thin client couldn't work and laptops for loan purposes mostly Dell. These devices are all Intel (so around 15-20 devices) and mostly Dell.

Before lockdown hit and we knew that a lot more staff needed to work from home and didn't necessarily have the equipment to do so we had to buy a load of laptops in and I managed to source 20-30 Ryzen Lenovo models so now in production from a thick client point of view we're now pretty much at a 50-50 split.

Server wise I would love to move to Epyc but our next server refresh isn't due for a couple of years and that it is likely to involve a big push to the cloud space with minimal on-prem kit.

Permabanned
OP
I would love to see some AMD in my workplace.. I was very surprised when they gave us some i5 8500 rigs ..

I don't know why Intel and HP thinks that it should give people exactly what they don't want to.
Does it still think that people don't know what is better and that those CPUs are yesterday's technology with bad technology in them - power consumption, etc...?

Back
Top Bottom