• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone slightly nervous about going red?

Associate
Same situation as you Im upgrading from a 4770k and would otherwise be very nervous, but about 5 months ago built my kid a 3600x system and everything has worked perfectly well, I would be more nervous getting a high end AMD Gfx card, although my last amd cards were 2 x 290x in crossfire and they worked really well as well. I think you can have issues with whatever company you go with amd, intel or nvidia if you're unlucky.
Yeah, AMD seem more solid on the CPU side than the GPU side as well.

Associate
I always go for the best i can get for my money... but I also love overclocking that is why i still have intel. Other than that since 3000 series i do not hesitate to recommend ryzen.

Associate
I'm more than confident in the CPU side but all the horror stories of the GPU side makes me think it's not just user error.

I know it's stupid to come to this conclusion but I am likely still going for Nvidia. The event on the 28th will have to have Big Navi in such an overwhelmingly positive light for me to consider it. Stuff like Nvidia reflex is likely just marketing but it atleast lets me know Nvidia somewhat cares about the competitive side of gaming.

Associate
amd-navi-21-xt.jpg

new navi looks promising..

Soldato
Just remember it being quite slow in comparison to an Intel of around the same year. Those were early Athlon days, not long after my K6 2
Those were the days of hard disk drives, i've serviced machines with Athlon 950s or P3 1Ghz cpus coupled with nasty disk drives like quantum bigfoor 3600rpm jobbies or ancient 8gb 7200 medalists etc.. whilst the cpu was technically fast it felt like a 486 running windows. Could have well been something else causing the issue.

Soldato
OP
Those were the days of hard disk drives, i've serviced machines with Athlon 950s or P3 1Ghz cpus coupled with nasty disk drives like quantum bigfoor 3600rpm jobbies or ancient 8gb 7200 medalists etc.. whilst the cpu was technically fast it felt like a 486 running windows. Could have well been something else causing the issue.
I expect so yes. Mate probably had an ATA-1 drive

Associate
I'm happy to stay as team red for CPU for a while.

But not so much on GPU, my main reason is drivers, I still will probably look towards the 6800XT or 6900XT, but I'll await reviews, with my current GPU the 5700XT I had nothing but problems with drivers for months especially more so with using discord at the same time as gaming online with the few friends I have, I'm an adult and don't have much time to game as it is, last thing I want to do is to be trouble shooting every day when I get a free hour or on a rare occasion a free few hours.

Also who spends a couple to a few hundred on something that you need to constantly turn this and that off for it to work, the days of a simple plug and play are long gone.

Just my experience with AMD.

Associate
I'm happy to stay as team red for CPU for a while.

But not so much on GPU, my main reason is drivers, I still will probably look towards the 6800XT or 6900XT, but I'll await reviews, with my current GPU the 5700XT I had nothing but problems with drivers for months especially more so with using discord at the same time as gaming online with the few friends I have, I'm an adult and don't have much time to game as it is, last thing I want to do is to be trouble shooting every day when I get a free hour or on a rare occasion a free few hours.

Also who spends a couple to a few hundred on something that you need to constantly turn this and that off for it to work, the days of a simple plug and play are long gone.

Just my experience with AMD.

Same - I'm looking at buying my 4th AMD cpu for my own rig and have no qualms. On the gpu front, I'd be reluctant as I always seem to get my fingers burnt when I've gone ATI/AMD. Also I don't like their policy of only supporting 30 bit Opengl on their pro cards.

Soldato
Intel is stagnate and well behind the technological curve now.
AMD has over taken them on pretty much all fronts.

And to be honest Intel needed the kick to the gut.
They had become complacent and stopped innovating and pushing the bar higher.

It's going to be very interesting as Intel will have to really accelerate their R&D because as fast as they move forward AMD are also developing faster CPU's. Good times for enthusiasts.

Associate
It's going to be very interesting as Intel will have to really accelerate their R&D because as fast as they move forward AMD are also developing faster CPU's. Good times for enthusiasts.
i am pretty sure they are already "accelerating R&D" .. problems with 10nm process etc.. its holding them back

Associate
I've been Intel ever since the fantastic AMD K6 2 450Mhz days.

I did try a friends Athlon and it was shocking in comparison to Intel. My current i7 4790k has lasted many years, as did the i5 2500K before it.

Switching over to AMD sort of makes me nervous as hear friends with Ryzen 9 (3900) and Ryzen 7 CPUs complaing of micro stutter whilst I have none. This may of couse be their GPU, RAM, Internet or something else.

Switching to a 5900X for ~£1000 (motherboard, RAM, CPU) is quite a big jump and have worries this micro stuter or other issues will plague my the AMD setup.

Does anyone feel similar? Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?

had 3 generations of Ryzen works amazing.
soon the fourth zen 3 is going to be there
best cpu company, amd.

Back
Top Bottom