• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato

Confirmed that some games on the PS5 will run at 1440p internally, or that the PS5 will output in 1440p?

Until I see it on the PS5 menu's, or Sony themselves say it will, I'm dubious. Hopeful, but dubious... :D

I don't get why (fps aside) anyone would want to gimp their new console on a monitor. Even the expensive ones I've had are nowhere near the IQ of my TV.
Unfortunately not all of us have use of a TV when they want, if I connected my PS5 to the TV in the living room, I'd struggle to get an hour of play time a week. And I'm not sticking a 48" OLED on my desk in my man cave/office/gaming den. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
@TallPaul_S I get that, I should have added a bit about where having a tv isn't an option due to space or other practical issues.
It's the opposite problem for me, I'd prefer to use my TV with my PC but I can't due to space issues.

I suppose my confusion is where someone could use with a decent tv but choose monitor over it.

Soldato
Bedrooms are for, well... different things. :D

I can't/have never watched TV in bed, apart from in a hotel room when you only have the option of laying on the bed to watch TV. And I'd love a nice OLED HDR 4K TV, just don't have the space for one where I'd actually get to use it.

Soldato
Actually digital accounts for more sales than physical now, as of Q1 this year. COVID has obviously had a big impact though, so be interesting what the Q2 results are (Wednesday if you’re interested). Regardless its no where near 25/75, I think the launch disparity is to appease retail until they come up with some kind of licensing model to include them. Maybe a cut of digital sales for each console sold, better margins on psn credit, some kind of clever trade in system etc.

Isn't that by cash value, and including DLC and micro transactions (both of which are digital only)?

Caporegime
Doesn't matter if its digital or physical the TOS are the same I'm afraid. Ever since you had to install the game onto a hard disc the delivery method to the disc is largely irrelevant - the only difference is with the disc the disc has to be in the drive to play it because that is the authentication method. This isn't required with digital because it authenticated when you downloaded it.

The point is you will never lose your purchased games if they're physical, you can either play them using another account or sell them. Those buying digital might in the future find themselves losing their entire games collection just for breaching some politically correct nonsense even if out of ignorance. Look at all of the people getting banned from social nowadays even if you're a woke warrior it's still a minefield.

Soldato
I know it's probably not what you meant, but no games play off the disk anymore. Accessing assets from disk read takes much too long.
Yeah, no I meant you can play your game offline if you choose to. Ignoring any patches if you wish. And even playing without an internet connection at all.

Soldato
Given the enormoty of the thing, are people in a similar A/V predicament (first world problems)? I think I'm going to have to buy a 10m HDMI and Ethernet cable and put it somewhere completely different to where everything else is as it simply won't fit on my shelving stood up.

Soldato
The point is you will never lose your purchased games if they're physical, you can either play them using another account or sell them. Those buying digital might in the future find themselves losing their entire games collection just for breaching some politically correct nonsense even if out of ignorance. Look at all of the people getting banned from social nowadays even if you're a woke warrior it's still a minefield.

No, it's near impossible to lose your account "accidentally". Every time you read about somebody being "banned for nothing" the further investigation shows quite the opposite.
It isn't about "wokeness" at all - it's about Sony having quite clear rules on what is and isn't acceptable.
I know that my digital library (accounts for around 33% of my games) is 99% safe. The 1% is there to allow for Sony failing, the world ending, nuclear armageddon - I know I'll never get banned due to "ignorance" etc, because - and here it is folks, the secret they don't want you to know about, how he gets away with it who know?:
"Don't act like a **** online"

Soldato
As I’m only using an older tv that supports 1080p will I get all the other benefits like higher FPS and ray tracing because I’m running at a lower resolution?
The PS5 should render the game internally at the same resolution regardless of the output, then downscale or upscale to the output resolution.

Associate
All my games are installed on a external hdd. Does anyone know if I can install ps5 games on there too?

Also will I need to format my hdd to work with the ps5? Should hopefully just plug in and work right?

Caporegime
All my games are installed on a external hdd. Does anyone know if I can install ps5 games on there too?

Also will I need to format my hdd to work with the ps5? Should hopefully just plug in and work right?

If you mean PS4 games, then the HDD is ready to go and you just plug it in to play them on PS5. PS5 games can only be stored there, they are not playable from external drives and must be run from the internal SSD.

Associate
If you mean PS4 games, then the HDD is ready to go and you just plug it in to play them on PS5. PS5 games can only be stored there, they are not playable from external drives and must be run from the internal SSD.

THIS.

The only thing that might change is when PS4 games get their full next gen patch like CP77 and Ghost of Tsushima. For the features to work they will need to migrate over to the internal SSD or your purchased expansion gen4 SSD.

Back
Top Bottom