• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is it time to move from my 8770k?

Associate
Hi all.
i7 8770k oc'd to 5 gig
16 gig ram
2080ti watercooled
asus maximus 10 motherboard
4k predator monitor 28 inch

Well found out that my strix 3080 wont be here untill jan 2021. This got me wondering would I be better sticking with the 2080ti and may be swapping out the the cpu to say something like the 5900X?Or would the 8770k be able to run the 3080 without any major bottlenecks? When it actually arrives...

I dont want to upgrade the gpu and the rest of the system together so was wondering if anyone could give some pointers as to which will give more fps.

The system is used for heavy gaming sessions. Totalwar warhammer 2, assassin creed games, cyberpunk when its out and battlefield 5 .All the games are at Ultra Hd normally game settings are a mix of high to highest.

Soldato
i think your system will be perfectly fine. @ 4K there will be no CPU bottle neck bar some small differential between intel and AMD CPU and it will be the GPU working hard.

your monitor is 60Hz @4K maybe go down the route of better GPU to get full 60FPS play experience...you may have the choice between the 3080 and the new AMD Navi based card...

Soldato
The system is used for heavy gaming sessions.

Anything else? Do you stream? I have an 8700 (non-K) and it's still fine for gaming - I don't stream. The new consoles have 8 cores and 16 threads so games coming out next year can be expected to take advantage of those cores and if you're only gaming that might be the time to upgrade.

Soldato
We will have more information on the 5000 series on the 5th.

You will get more performance out of the 3080 with a faster CPU as Nvidia said the 10900K wasn’t enough to get the best out of Ampere. That said Navi looks as if it’s faster than Ampere.

Soldato
A 5GHZ Core i7 8770K will be fine for the immediate future IMHO. I would try and hold out for Zen4 and DDR5(and whatever Intel has out by then).

I don’t that is the question. Wait 3-4 months for Ampere and then upgrade the CPU. Or upgrade the CPU first. That is how I read it.

Soldato
I don’t that is the question. Wait 3-4 months for Ampere and then upgrade the CPU. Or upgrade the CPU first. That is how I read it.

I don't think they need to upgrade the CPU even with a RTX3080 currently as they game at 4K. A 5GHZ Core i7 8700K is plenty fast enough for now. It should suffice until Zen4 in 2022 IMHO,and when we have AM5.

Soldato
Guess I shall hold on for zen 4. Thanks for the input folks
You should hold on until either something dies in your system or the next gen GPU pushes the performance of 4K gaming right out there or games become ridiculously CPU hungry.

waiting for Zen4 doesn’t make sense as it is just upgrade for the sake of upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom