PCI-E 4.0 drives

Soldato
OP
The chipset fan is a good point, but unavoidable if I'm to make use of the second M.2 slot for any reason. It actually isn't an issue for me personally because the PC is in my garage and I'm not, so I don't hear anything - unless you meant it could wear the fan out?

Soldato
OP
I picked up a Corsair MP600. Here's benchmarks compared to my Samsung 960 EVO.

I've moved some games to the Gen 4 drive that were slow loaders on my SSD and I have to say they seem to take just as long i.e. no improvement. I'm hoping the upcoming IO technology from Nvidia will reap some reward coupled with my 3080. :)

Summary is that the Gen 4 appears to be twice as fast as the Gen 3.

9TXAYLKl.jpg

Cb6z2H5l.jpg

Associate
does anyone have any idea on availablility of the newly announced Phison E18 ssd's?

both adata and sabrent have products announced, but not seeing anything on availability...

Man of Honour
I've moved some games to the Gen 4 drive that were slow loaders on my SSD and I have to say they seem to take just as long i.e. no improvement. I'm hoping the upcoming IO technology from Nvidia will reap some reward coupled with my 3080. :)

Summary is that the Gen 4 appears to be twice as fast as the Gen 3.

You were never going to see any Improvements but the pcie4 drive may trap some benefits in the future

Nvidia Direct io will be Interesting , love to see pcie3 v pcie4 m2 real world performance.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to have a Sebrant 1TB Gen 4 drive, but had to send it back to Azn because a diagnostic run by a friend showed it had a random cluster error which meant it couldn't save data in a randomly written cluster, which would have made it unusable as an OS drive. That was a replacement for my first nvme drive (also a 1TB Sebrant), which now that I have solved my tech issues (new CPU is working fine so far), i'm thinking I probably didn't need to return the first NVME.

As such, I now find myself in the market for a new one, i'm thinking either another Sebrant 500GB/1TB as boot drive, or a Samsung ssd, or maybe Corsair (never used a corsair drive), I've seen reviews for the Sebrant drive saying that the Phison controller it and other Gen 4 drives uses are prone to fail, which is why I'm considering Samsung.

Any suggestions guys?

Associate
Well, just ordered a Corsair MP600 1TB, should be here tomorrow :) Not sure if i'll keep the heatsink on or use the motherboard one.
I am using the same drive for my OS (500GB version on an X570 Aorus Master) and it boots mega fast. Went Adata X8200 1TB for initial main drive until the 980's arrived. Looking at the speeds in gaming though, I think i will get an ADATA 2TB instead for half the money....

Associate
I am using the same drive for my OS (500GB version on an X570 Aorus Master) and it boots mega fast. Went Adata X8200 1TB for initial main drive until the 980's arrived. Looking at the speeds in gaming though, I think i will get an ADATA 2TB instead for half the money....

Nice, unfortunately, I cannot use a second SSD (even if I had one to use), as the second slot is on the back of the mobo, and i'd have to take nearly EVERYTHING out of the case to reach it (and I won't be doing that), so for my game drive, it'll either be the sata 2.5 inch mech drive i'm using as a boot drive at the moment (got it from a friend, not sure if he wants it back yet) or i'll use my 4TB USB 3 external 3.5 inch drive.

Associate
Interesting topic for me. I'm close to dropping near £400 for a quality 2TB PCI NVME, OR I could get a 'crappy' Samsung QVO 4TB SSD for the same price.

Already have a 2TB QVO for a games drive for which they offer great value for money for SSD storage for just a games drive only.

I'm a PC gamer that wants everything I want installed and good to play, shouldn't have to make storage compromises like consoles. Looking at around 8TB SSD storage total. Had up to 5TB before but most were noisy and slow HDD.

Can't use HDD anymore as it's too noisy for my silent system.

Now hearing from other posts that NVME can even have 'coil whine' like sounds and make MB temps higher or even ruin ram overclocks, really thinking about just sticking with SSD.

Any opinions appreciated.

Associate
Grabbed Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB which was on sale under 200
PCIe 3.0 is fine for now, and its actually near top for random 4K, for loading programs and games.

Figured proper 4.0 drives are yet to come out, Phison E18 and SM2264 based.
980 Pro is good, but silly money and not big enough

Once dust settles, will relegate this Adata drive to secondary slot

Back
Top Bottom