• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Hardware Unboxed just confirmed ryzen 5000 will be much faster than intel and zen2 in games?

Associate
Ryzen 5000 may not be the only thing faster in games..............................squeaky bottom time at Nvidia maybe :)

XhHyb9v.jpg
Interesting they didn't use Port Royale on that list of benchmarks. Almost as if Big Navi will be like the 5700XT: better than Nvidia in rasterisation at the same price point but not very capable in ray tracing, albeit much better than the 5700 series which didn't even support DXR.

Soldato
OP
Interesting they didn't use Port Royale on that list of benchmarks. Almost as if Big Navi will be like the 5700XT: better than Nvidia in rasterisation at the same price point but not very capable in ray tracing, albeit much better than the 5700 series which didn't even support DXR.
There are slides out there showing port royale rt performance. It is not even close to 3080. There will probably be a lot of driver updates in the next 12months to close that gap.

that said RT performance is really not that important atm.

393662_1603487626950.png

Soldato
Jeebus, Looks like AMD are making a foray into the Uber highend gaming market.

Time for a game of guess the price. Navi21 £2000 plus the dreaded?

Last edited:
Associate
that said RT performance is really not that important atm.

I am afraid I couldn't disagree more. We finally have a generation of GPUs capable of real time reflections, shadows and lighting as well as consoles which will (to a lesser extent) support the technology helping to drive adoption by developers.

If you are buying a GPU at this point without ray tracing I can honestly say you will be missing out in the very near future. Just stick with whatever you have already if raytracing does not interest you as there is little point in just having a couple more frames per second

Associate
https://youtu.be/wU-X1JC6G9I

They go into 5600x vs 3700x @ 6:35

but most interestingly Steve said something quite affirmative at 13:44 “significant improvements”. Then Tim reigned him in by saying “going by AMd numbers of course”. But Steve pulled a smiley face. Immediately said said “we will have these benchmarks shortly...day one review”.

This sounds like they have tested the CPUs already.

i wonder if I am reading too much into this.

also amongst the general talk between 3700x and 5600x, Steve said that the productivity will be evenly matched between the two. So similar multicore scores. How does he know that without having tested the CPU? That’s not in AMD presentations. Hardware Unboxed dont generally speculate on rumours or leaked bench data. For them to say as much must mean they got some data to back it up right?
You are reading too much into it,he clearly said at 11:50 that they haven’t tested the CPUs and are are just going by assumptions.

Associate
https://youtu.be/wU-X1JC6G9I

They go into 5600x vs 3700x @ 6:35

but most interestingly Steve said something quite affirmative at 13:44 “significant improvements”. Then Tim reigned him in by saying “going by AMd numbers of course”. But Steve pulled a smiley face. Immediately said said “we will have these benchmarks shortly...day one review”.

This sounds like they have tested the CPUs already.

i wonder if I am reading too much into this.

also amongst the general talk between 3700x and 5600x, Steve said that the productivity will be evenly matched between the two. So similar multicore scores. How does he know that without having tested the CPU? That’s not in AMD presentations. Hardware Unboxed dont generally speculate on rumours or leaked bench data. For them to say as much must mean they got some data to back it up right?

you can copy the timestamp so the video starts at the time you want btw.
amd already stated its 26% better gaming performance.
Its the fastest cpu in the world so, its going to be faster

Soldato
OP
I am afraid I couldn't disagree more. We finally have a generation of GPUs capable of real time reflections, shadows and lighting as well as consoles which will (to a lesser extent) support the technology helping to drive adoption by developers.

If you are buying a GPU at this point without ray tracing I can honestly say you will be missing out in the very near future. Just stick with whatever you have already if raytracing does not interest you as there is little point in just having a couple more frames per second

not sure
a) currently limited game title support. However it probably will expand in the future. New titles next year dunno what these games will bring. And for mainstream take up of RT, probably a few years down the line. so there is gonna be at least another generation of GPU before then.

b) 3080 with RT on doesn’t do 100+ FPS. With ultra settings @ 1440p. If you want 100+ FPS then you need to switch on DLSS and lower quality setting to high. That’s probably quite a lot of trade off for some people for relatively limited visual gain. Personally having higher levels of details and higher depth of a scene is visually more important than having ray tracing. And to hit those 240fps you can forget it with RT. So from the perspective of people’s buying loads of high refresh rate monitors to take advantage of smoothness gameplay experiences - playing RT counters that completely even with current generation of GPU. 3080 needs another 20-30% to like that.

Associate
as I said earlier.. I am 100% sure that they have the cpu's .. i know a couple of other tech youtubers that are much smaller and already have them...

Associate
I watched the video before and didn't get any sense anything was inferred other than what we all suspect, ie. what AMD said of their performance and some of the leaks as appearing.

Soldato
OP
When are zen 3 reviews out?
Day 1, probably 7am GMT or whenever ET ticks over to 5th Nov got hardware unboxed. And probably similar for any YouTube outlets when the NDA expires.

or maybe it is earlier as they are like 10hrs ahead.

Last edited:
Associate
they could say nothing (about not testing them) but I don't think they'd lie just like that.
Yeah, but the informal nature of these Q&As meant they wandered into that territory. I think they have absolutely tested chips, but they probably feel they covered themselves off well enough by referencing the AMD material.

Associate
Yeah, but the informal nature of these Q&As meant they wandered into that territory. I think they have absolutely tested chips, but they probably feel they covered themselves off well enough by referencing the AMD material.
But the video wasn’t live,they could have easily edited whatever slipped out.

Back
Top Bottom