New Build, Windows 10 fails on first boot after install

Associate
Evening all. So I've bought most of the parts for a new system, and it POSTs fine. I can boot to USB and install windows. Fine. When it reboots after installing, it detects devices, runs through it's usual things. It brings up the Blue Flag-like logo (or maybe it's a window?) and the dots go around in a circle...it circles... and stops. Freezes. No longer responsive to anything.

The build:
AMD 3600
MSI 550 Mortar with wifi, most recent bios
16gb corsair LPX 3200 ram
Samsung 860. 1TB
Either AMD7850 (CSM/Legacy mode only) or Nvidia 750Ti

I've tried:
-Latest Windows 10 Iso
-Forcing install via CSM by removing the efi folder
-Switching to CSM.. back to UEFI, a number of combinations of the this and previous

I'm not doing anything special, I don't think. It's just not WORKING. And it's getting to me. Ideas, people?

Soldato
Do you have a LAN cable plugged in? If so, try disabling the wifi in the BIOS.
Do you have XMP / DOCP enabled? If so disable it.
Is the Samsung a SSD or M.2 drive? If M.2, in which slot do you have it?

Associate
OP
Do you have a LAN cable plugged in? If so, try disabling the wifi in the BIOS.
Do you have XMP / DOCP enabled? If so disable it.
Is the Samsung a SSD or M.2 drive? If M.2, in which slot do you have it?
XMP wasn't enabled.
Disabled both on board network devices and the error has changed. It's now constantly moving dots - 20 minutes so far - rather than just locking up.

Next suggestions?

Associate
OP
Casn you try it with only a wired connection?
I've done so, same again.

However, on a hunch I installed an old version of Windows 10, from 2015. Installed. Nursed it through installing graphics drivers.

Now it's dying every few minutes with an error about Watchdog Timers. The internet tells me that this is likely an issue with the AMD chip, fixed by a late Windows update.

Catch, system isn't stable enough to make it through an update. Attempted 4 times trying again, but not much hope.

Debating trying a later Windows version, maybe 1903, see if that will both play nice with the graphics to let me boot *and* not crap out at AMD.

Alternate suggestions?

Soldato
Now it's dying every few minutes with an error about Watchdog Timers. The internet tells me that this is likely an issue with the AMD chip, fixed by a late Windows update.

I have it in the back of my mind that there's a BIOS setting or two that might help but you'll need someone who knows the AMD BIOS settings, which I do not. A quick Google suggests you should disable C1-6 and C1E, but again, I'm not really the right person in this regard.

As for the Windows update, can you download it and slipstream it into the ISO? You should also try to slipstream the motherboard drivers.

Associate
OP
I tried adding the drivers on Windows install, Windows rejected drivers as being unsuitable - no reason given.

Have brute forced it by manually downloading updates and installing. Eventually it was updated enough that the crashes just stopped.

My thanks for the help. You got me thinking in different directions and out of the Arrgh--> Fail loop.

Back
Top Bottom