Samsung Q80T vs LG CX for gaming?

Soldato
Oled is always worth it. However it isn't the end of Lcd based TVs. Bigger you go the more a oled looks so much better than Lcd based tech. Burn in shouldn't worry you if you careful.

Soldato
Wouldn't VR be better? (not to mention a lot cheaper)

I still don't think resolution is there yet myself however it's a very space efficient way to do an immersive sim setup.

When I read the OPs requirement for 3 x 70" screen I immediately thought why don't you use a 180 degree projector setup instead. No idea on the feasibility but just a few searches started to show the possibilities with expensive custom to 1 projector with warping software being one way but that's for the OP to pursue :)

Soldato
If you're only going to use them for FS2020 then I'd be slightly wary of burn-in just because you're going to have the instrumentation static the whole time. I've got a series 7 OLED with minimal burn-in and the problem is vastly exaggerated but your use case might be one of the times where it's a valid concern.

I'd also echo the feedback above in that I'd buy a top end VR setup rather than spend that much on 3 70"+ screens but that's just my personal take given the cash involved. I'd rather save a few thousand and use that on a proper flight/holiday once we can travel again :D

Caporegime
Plus you don't get oled in 70"

Only 65 or 77.

So it's LCD unless your planning on going smaller or spending £15k on tvs alone.

If spending £15k on TV's I know what I'd rather be doing if that kind of disposable income was sloshing around in the bank account and it's not pretending I'm a pilot.

Associate
OP
Honestly the TV is near perfect, black levels are very good, you may see some blooming in a pitch dark room otherwise not a problem. These TVs are so bright you cant watch them in a completely dark room anyway.

Ah that might be a problem as I have a completely dark room. I guess I can turn the brightness down?

Soldato
It's hard to argue with half the price but keep in mind the Q80T is significantly gimped in Game Mode (in terms of local dimming). For MSFS itself it probably doesn't matter too much but be aware of it.

Uz26OFy.jpg

Caporegime
Quite a lot of detail (stars) appear to be missing on the Sony to be fair? it's hard to judge without a reference image. The Q80T looks more consistent across the whole screen though.

Caporegime
The Q80T is the Q7 from the previous year.

They moved every series up one. So it's a 7 series TV where 6 iirc is the lowest. Going up to 9.

The Sony is better and the Samsung cheaper and oled beats both comfortably.

If he wants to save money then he can always go for the higher end Sony or look at a higher end Samsung Q90T.

Problem is if you want the best it has to be oled. FALD LCDs are great but oled is in a league of its own. The difference may seem marginal to ignorant folk but under specific circumstances the difference can be substantial.

Normally whilst gaming you would be too focused to see the difference however in a boring game like flight simulator where you are literally just looking into the horizon oled's benefits would be noticeable.

If he was playing cod then I'd say get an LCD you would be hard pressed to tell. However he isn't playing cod.

Soldato
If you're only going to use them for FS2020 then I'd be slightly wary of burn-in just because you're going to have the instrumentation static the whole time. I've got a series 7 OLED with minimal burn-in and the problem is vastly exaggerated but your use case might be one of the times where it's a valid concern.

I'd also echo the feedback above in that I'd buy a top end VR setup rather than spend that much on 3 70"+ screens but that's just my personal take given the cash involved. I'd rather save a few thousand and use that on a proper flight/holiday once we can travel again :D

The instrumentation isn't static in MSFS, in fact it moves around quite quite a lot. I wouldn't be worried about burn-in on it.

Associate
OP
The Q80T is the Q7 from the previous year.

They moved every series up one. So it's a 7 series TV where 6 iirc is the lowest. Going up to 9.

The Sony is better and the Samsung cheaper and oled beats both comfortably.

If he wants to save money then he can always go for the higher end Sony or look at a higher end Samsung Q90T.

Problem is if you want the best it has to be oled. FALD LCDs are great but oled is in a league of its own. The difference may seem marginal to ignorant folk but under specific circumstances the difference can be substantial.

Normally whilst gaming you would be too focused to see the difference however in a boring game like flight simulator where you are literally just looking into the horizon oled's benefits would be noticeable.

If he was playing cod then I'd say get an LCD you would be hard pressed to tell. However he isn't playing cod.

According to rtings, the XH95 is only marginally better then the Q80T (but with slightly worse viewing angle and no freesync/gsync): https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x950h-vs-samsung-q80t/1777/1819

Q80T vs Q90T is again very similar https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...sung-q80t/9810/1819?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

Back
Top Bottom