** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
Thanks for the info Purgatory much appreciated. I didn't think about updating the firmware on the GPU so that's a good call. Will give that a go tonight and assume that will fix the resolution/colour depth settings. I've just been going off what the monitor settings are and what windows / Nvidia settings are reporting. Didn't even see any option for 100hz just 60/120/240.

User error is probably right on my part but when there are 3 places with settings it's difficult to know where to set these and what figures to trust if you're not familiar with screen resolutions, refresh rates etc.
Where do I actually set it to 8-bit at 100Hz or 10-bit at 60Hz and check it's reporting correctly from the monitor settings or Windows?

The popping sounds are much more frequent and I don't think I can live with them so eventually this thing is probably going back for a replacement and then hopefully I'll get a clean panel too,

Remember to also install the drivers for the monitor so the system picks it up as the right monitor and sets to the right port on the driver (you will see it will ask you are you using HDMI or DP when you install the drivers), as PNP (Plug and Play) monitor in your device manager you will loose certain resolutions and refresh rates too because it's just the generic driver from microsoft that may not know what else your monitor can do so it keeps things safe.

They can be downloaded here :-

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LC49G95TSSUXEN/

Device(Install) (C49G9xT) ver 1.0 (MULTI LANGUAGE) : Win 2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista/Win 7/Win 8/Win 8.1/Win 10(32bit,64bit) 2020-06-24

^... thats the monitor driver that's needed too.

Other things to make sure is on the OSD (On Screen Display) of the monitor make sure it's set to DP 1.4 and if you have issues set it to 1.2 too as a test which works best for you, but 1.4 worked when I tried it on the 980Ti with the G9. But I made sure I had the firmware update for the GPU from Nvidia and had the drivers for the monitor and latest drivers from Nvidia for the GPU too.

The monitor does have a fall back option if you start a new system up with the screen and end up with a black screen on DP 1.4 and that's why the OSD has the options to change from 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 to cure these issues till you run the GPU firmware update to make it work right.

The issue with none booting PCs on these new monitors is the BIOS not detecting the monitors right and throwing out GPU error beeps too because the GPU is confused. The other issue if no beeps and errors on start up is you may find you can't see the BIOS unless you set to DP 1.2 on the OSD on the monitor or run the firmware update to fix that too.

Like I said I think there is a lot of user error going on and not understanding the limitations of DP 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and other compatibility issues like not installing monitor drivers and GPU drivers that support certain things.

The G9 you have if you do everything right will allow you on the 980 to set Full native resolution,10bit at 60hz, set to RGB and full dynamic range the max setting, on 100hz 8bit and output colour format YCbCr and limited dynamic range on the Nvidia control panel and make sure to use Nvidia colour settings not default windows option. Also apply the settings and then go back and check if more options appear as you do that's in the Nvidia settings and adjust again if needed. It's all due to the bandwidth limitations of the DP standards what you can do and what the monitor is telling the drivers for the GPU it can do.

Also a good program to confirm settings are working and what the screen is telling the GPU it can do is GPU-Z under the advanced tab.

If you have any issues shout again and will help you more if you need. But my advice is use full native resolution,10bit at 60hz, set to RGB and full dynamic range for desktop use that way its crisp text and the 100hz 8bit, YCbCr, limited dynamic range for gaming for now, till you update your GPU as I am waiting to do too, but as we know stock issues.:mad::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
I`ve had my g9 -August manufacture- for a week now. No issues at all.
Has anyone who is experiencing problems tried a good quality shielded
dp 1.4 cable rather than the stock cable that came with the monitor?
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Lucky of you.
Even with the 456.98 driver hotfix by nvidia which allows 240Hz to be set in nvcpl with an Ampere card, gaming with a RTX 3090 at 5120x1440@10bpx 240Hz, HDR On + G-Sync On is impossible, random screen power off, flicker...have to stay at 120Hz@8bpc to G-Sync works properly .

Last edited:
Associate
I decided to call Samsung and ask for a replacement because of the popping noises. Honestly part of me is thinking it may have went away in time, but it shouldn't be normal something like that, right? Especially on an expensive monitor. If it only happened when the monitor was heating up I could live with it, but it happens throughout monitor use and even after the monitor is turned off and is cooling down.

Not looking forward to going back to 60hz for a week or so lol. Now I have to pray the new one won't have worse issues.

Their phone support was great though, just asked details and then got it all sorted. Was expecting the process to be a lot worse.
Just check your screen for no dead pixels, my first monitor had several at the top and while this never bothered me much...i was advised i should contact samsung support because they may get worse...indeed they agreed within minutes that this would be the case and they had dpd out the enxt day to collect the monitor
6 days all in refund back into my account. So agree with you on this their phone support is really good.

As for popping sounds, while this is now my 3rd monitor in 2 weeks i have not had any issues of popping sounds.

Associate
Just check your screen for no dead pixels, my first monitor had several at the top and while this never bothered me much...i was advised i should contact samsung support because they may get worse...indeed they agreed within minutes that this would be the case and they had dpd out the enxt day to collect the monitor
6 days all in refund back into my account. So agree with you on this their phone support is really good.

As for popping sounds, while this is now my 3rd monitor in 2 weeks i have not had any issues of popping sounds.

Yeah, first thing I did when I got this one was load up pixel buddy and check for dead pixels, so I'll definitely be doing it with the new one. Glad to hear you never experienced any popping noises, hopefully it isn't super common.

Associate
I got mine over the weekend and updated to the 1006.2 firmware. I noticed that when I adjust the colour levels under the custom profile it always resets back to the default (50/50/50) every time the display signal cuts out (for example, from turning off the computer) or when the screen is powered off. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Associate
Remember to also install the drivers for the monitor so the system picks it up as the right monitor and sets to the right port on the driver (you will see it will ask you are you using HDMI or DP when you install the drivers), as PNP (Plug and Play) monitor in your device manager you will loose certain resolutions and refresh rates too because it's just the generic driver from microsoft that may not know what else your monitor can do so it keeps things safe.

They can be downloaded here :-

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LC49G95TSSUXEN/

Device(Install) (C49G9xT) ver 1.0 (MULTI LANGUAGE) : Win 2000/XP/2003/2008/Vista/Win 7/Win 8/Win 8.1/Win 10(32bit,64bit) 2020-06-24

^... thats the monitor driver that's needed too.

Other things to make sure is on the OSD (On Screen Display) of the monitor make sure it's set to DP 1.4 and if you have issues set it to 1.2 too as a test which works best for you, but 1.4 worked when I tried it on the 980Ti with the G9. But I made sure I had the firmware update for the GPU from Nvidia and had the drivers for the monitor and latest drivers from Nvidia for the GPU too.

The monitor does have a fall back option if you start a new system up with the screen and end up with a black screen on DP 1.4 and that's why the OSD has the options to change from 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 to cure these issues till you run the GPU firmware update to make it work right.

The issue with none booting PCs on these new monitors is the BIOS not detecting the monitors right and throwing out GPU error beeps too because the GPU is confused. The other issue if no beeps and errors on start up is you may find you can't see the BIOS unless you set to DP 1.2 on the OSD on the monitor or run the firmware update to fix that too.

Like I said I think there is a lot of user error going on and not understanding the limitations of DP 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and other compatibility issues like not installing monitor drivers and GPU drivers that support certain things.

The G9 you have if you do everything right will allow you on the 980 to set Full native resolution,10bit at 60hz, set to RGB and full dynamic range the max setting, on 100hz 8bit and output colour format YCbCr and limited dynamic range on the Nvidia control panel and make sure to use Nvidia colour settings not default windows option. Also apply the settings and then go back and check if more options appear as you do that's in the Nvidia settings and adjust again if needed. It's all due to the bandwidth limitations of the DP standards what you can do and what the monitor is telling the drivers for the GPU it can do.

Also a good program to confirm settings are working and what the screen is telling the GPU it can do is GPU-Z under the advanced tab.

If you have any issues shout again and will help you more if you need. But my advice is use full native resolution,10bit at 60hz, set to RGB and full dynamic range for desktop use that way its crisp text and the 100hz 8bit, YCbCr, limited dynamic range for gaming for now, till you update your GPU as I am waiting to do too, but as we know stock issues.:mad::rolleyes:

Thanks again! I updated the GPU firmware, checked I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers, and installed the monitor driver (forgot to do this) and I think all is ok.

I can run 60hz at full res with 10-bit colour RGB full dynamic range. 120Hz (119Hz reported) at 3840 x 1080 still with 10-bit RGB full dynamic range. Setting to 8-bit YCbCr limited range didn't seem to change much in terms of possible settings.

I'm going to order another monitor to see if I can get one without the popping noises as it seems a lot of people aren't suffering from those and I think mine is getting worse rather than better.
Wondering If I just hold out a bit and order later since I may get one with a newer manufactured date with fewer issues.

Edit: Forgot to mention strangely the option to switch DP version is now greyed out in the OSD which it wasn't before. Not really sure what would cause that as I've changed no settings there. I did a reset but it's still that way

Edit Edit: Looks like DP version settings aren't available when Adaptive Sync is on due to the version being set automatically based on the refresh rate which makes sense: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/computing/the-refresh-rate-changes-for-the-g9-gaming-monitor/

From reading that article though it does sound like I should still have options and it shouldn't be greyed out? It could be the latest monitor firmware that is forcing these to prevent misconfiguration though.

If I turn adaptive sync off it unlocks the display port version again although I'm sure I had adaptive sync on before and had access to these settings so maybe that happened after updating the GPU firmware.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I have one of these coming this morning (G7) that I ordered yesterday from Samsung's website. Is literally everyone having issues or are we just seeing a lot of vocalisation of it on here?

Associate
My G9 just arrived this morning, it's an N8 with firmware 1005. Set it up and tried it out for about 20 minutes, no sign of any dead pixels nor the dreaded popping sound (very cool to touch across the top and back). Haven't tested it for ghosting or flickering yet. Still early days obviously, but so far so good!

Associate
I decided to call Samsung and ask for a replacement because of the popping noises. Honestly part of me is thinking it may have went away in time, but it shouldn't be normal something like that, right? Especially on an expensive monitor. If it only happened when the monitor was heating up I could live with it, but it happens throughout monitor use and even after the monitor is turned off and is cooling down.
Not looking forward to going back to 60hz for a week or so lol. Now I have to pray the new one won't have worse issues.
Their phone support was great though, just asked details and then got it all sorted. Was expecting the process to be a lot worse.

To be honest, I think a large majority of them have the popping noise. My new (second) G9 does, or rather has just started to do it after 2 days. Even now, after turning it on for an hour I'm getting the popping noise. I went through a number of CRG49's last year that had it constantly in that it would not stop at all, it drove me crazy. Mine, so far, appears to stop after 2 hours which is ok - if in a weeks time it last longer than 2 hours I will get it replaced. I also have some coil whine/buzzing coming out the back which I can hear - the 1st one didn't have this as its something I immediately check for. The monitor is amazing though and worth the hassle. Please let me know if you get one that does not pop/crack :)

Associate
My G9 just arrived this morning, it's an N8 with firmware 1005. Set it up and tried it out for about 20 minutes, no sign of any dead pixels nor the dreaded popping sound (very cool to touch across the top and back). Haven't tested it for ghosting or flickering yet. Still early days obviously, but so far so good!

Mine didn't start until 2 days. But, I can say one thing that apparently hastened the popping noises on my 1st G9. Basically I was playing wow for a good 4 hours, looked beautiful, but had to pop out, so I closed wow down and shut the monitor off within 10 seconds. This is when I first started getting the popping noise - now I try to let it cool down a bit before turning it off. Please let us know if the popping starts within the next few days.

Associate
For these popping sounds to happened.. how bright do you have your screen set at?

I have not had any popping at all.. my 3rd monitor has been perfect so far 72 hours in.

Last edited:
Associate
Mate you seem to have gone threw many monitors over the last few months of many makes and models and all so far have been bad (something is a miss here, they can't be, when I got 2 out of 2 fine that took a beating in transit and both were N9), I don't believe every one you got had issues, I ordered the G9 and CRG9 other day and both came working fine and the CRG9 box took a good beating too and the G9 box thanks to DPD, the CRG9 box even had a hole in it on the side the stand and cables were, I will take pics for you tomorrow and show you how abused the box was and the inside was 100% fine the protection around the monitors is really good, just a shame the box on the outside takes a beating and the tape is not strong enough they tape it up with too.
I would check your electricity if you get buzzing, stick the monitor on a pure sine wave UPS and check if it does the noise if it doesn't then its your electricity in your home causing it or some device with EMI (electromagnetic interference) causing it, maybe router too close or phones etc.
If you have the monitors on a UPS and it's a stepping type not a pure sine wave then you may get buzzing and also flicker, so check what you are doing too,there is no way so many monitors are faulty from different brands and models.

"I don't believe everyone you got had issues" What? lol. A strange comment. I'm getting the same issues as others. And where does the "gone threw so many monitors" come from o.0 I have had 2 G9's - the first one had popping/cracking noises and the fish eye appeared particularly bad (certainly worse than the one I have now). It was also an N5 model, when OC - according to forum members - were handing out N8 models. My second G9 has coil whine coming out the back, which the first one did not. Additionally, I went through 5 CRG's last year, each one (apart from number 4, which had a smashed screen) had known issues. All I want is a quiet monitor! :)

Last edited:
Associate
For these popping sounds to happened.. how bright do you have your screen set at?
I have not had any popping at all.. my 3rd monitor has been perfect so far 72 hours in.

I used the RPG/RTS preset. After playing wow for 4 hours, on my second day, then turning the monitor off quickly, that's when it started for me. Hope you stay lucky bud!

Associate
cFH1g6Z
https://ibb.co/cFH1g6Z

Sad single dead pixel otherwise hidden by windows tool bar

Z2WrNzn
https://ibb.co/Z2WrNzn

MDKg60q
https://ibb.co/MDKg60q

https://gofile.io/d/LmfTfr - the flicker/ghosting vertical bar

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but watch out when installing the Samsung G9 drivers (the one that makes you select either DP or HDMI to install to). It also gives you an icc colour profile which seems to make blues slightly more purple. I was wondering what was going on with my monitor. I just switched it back to an sRBG one and restarted and the colours look normal now.

Associate
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but watch out when installing the Samsung G9 drivers (the one that makes you select either DP or HDMI to install to). It also gives you an icc colour profile which seems to make blues slightly more purple. I was wondering what was going on with my monitor. I just switched it back to an sRBG one and restarted and the colours look normal now.

This is in colour management settings right? What did you do to change it back?
I installed the driver but I think mine is still set to sys default sRGB but not 100% sure.

Associate
Please let me know if you get one that does not pop/crack :)

From reading through it sounds like it's a mixed bag and quite a few people don't have popping noises. It's definitely temp related, I guess due to the expansion and contraction of materials as they heat up and cool down which may also explain why some people don't have it depending on their climate. It does get very annoying when you're trying to concentrate on something and have some silence. I guess a better way to ask this question is has anyone had the monitor for an extended period of time weeks/months and do they still not have this issue?

Associate
This is in colour management settings right? What did you do to change it back?
I installed the driver but I think mine is still set to sys default sRGB but not 100% sure.

Yeah, Colour Management settings. If it's still on the system defaults you're probably fine. I think it's because I was messing around with the icc profile that I found online for the G9. I should have left it alone since it's not gonna be accurate without making my own with a physical monitor calibrator.

No idea what the default setting is supposed to be, what is the name that yours comes up with? Or is the box supposed to be empty? If I select default it comes up as Samsung C49xT, I have to manually select the sRBG one.

Back
Top Bottom