Asus Prime-P X570 Thermal Shutdown

Associate
OP
Could be your psu mate how old is it I don't know much about your psu to be honest but I was once told never skip on the quality of your power supply it's the most important part of your pc maybe it isn't stable enough to run the 3080 gpu

It's brand new, 80+ platinum certified apparently. Although clearly it could be faulty.

I tried the 3080 with all GPU and case fans at 100% and didn't get any crashes however the PC was audible downstairs at the other end of my house!!! GPU was sitting at 60C under full load rather than 80C. When I switched the GPU fans from 100% back to auto the system shutdown within 2/3 mins. So either the GPU is bad or the heat its putting on the the MB/chipset is so high its causing a thermal shutdown. Is it usual for a GPU to cause a complete system shutdown? Would this not normally just lead to crashes and blue screens?

Soldato
I had a 5700xt aorus do this I'd be playing games and it kept shutting down my pc I took it back to ocuk and got another gpu and that was fine so could be your gpu but does sound like a heat issue if fans on full didn't crash pc

Soldato
Have you tried HWiNFO64 as I do get a MB chipset reading on my Gaming-F.

Currently gets up to 67 DegC but I only have an RX 5600XT as a temporary solution so not so much of a heat source. Similar CPU.

The 2 nVME drives under my Gaming-F chipset heatsink can't be helping either.

** I re-read the first post and you mentioned HWINF after iCue so probably tried already.

Soldato
You said it was all fine with the 2070 gpu so I think your looking in the right direction with the heat with the 3080 can you turn the fans up to a level were they're not to loud but keep it cool

Associate
OP
You said it was all fine with the 2070 gpu so I think your looking in the right direction with the heat with the 3080 can you turn the fans up to a level were they're not to loud but keep it cool

I could look at this. If I'm on such a fine line that even with the case fans all on 100% and the GPU on 50% that I'm getting a shutdown though then that's probably not a solution that I'm going to happy with. Maybe the layout of the motherboard is just not suitable for the heat output of the 3080 - huge, hot card sat right on top of the PCH fan/heatsink !!!

Associate
OP
Have you tried HWiNFO64 as I do get a MB chipset reading on my Gaming-F.

Currently gets up to 67 DegC but I only have an RX 5600XT as a temporary solution so not so much of a heat source. Similar CPU.

The 2 nVME drives under my Gaming-F chipset heatsink can't be helping either.

** I re-read the first post and you mentioned HWINF after iCue so probably tried already.

Yes I have had a look in HWinfo and it's not labelled in there sadly. There are loads of temps but only 3 are labelled - CPU, CPU package and MB (same as the one MB temp I've got in the BIOS).

Soldato
I could look at this. If I'm on such a fine line that even with the case fans all on 100% and the GPU on 50% that I'm getting a shutdown though then that's probably not a solution that I'm going to happy with. Maybe the layout of the motherboard is just not suitable for the heat output of the 3080 - huge, hot card sat right on top of the PCH fan/heatsink !!!
Could be the layout I've got gigabyte x570 as chipset fan is better position than Asus boards

Associate
OP
Just to update on this issue - it turned out to be a bad power supply. When the GPU was under load this seemed to cause the shutdowns rather than any thermal issues. I've switched out the PSU and not had one shutdown since.

Back
Top Bottom