• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

found an old gfx card, can it run crysis?

Soldato
OP
Looking at the card photo again i see a connector on the top of it. Looks like ide or floppy connector hut didnt count the pins. Whats its for direct x io with ide hdd? Lol

Soldato
Looking at the card photo again i see a connector on the top of it. Looks like ide or floppy connector hut didnt count the pins. Whats its for direct x io with ide hdd? Lol

Could be very wrong but I think its so you can connect and MPEG2 decorder card and then output without the passthrough cable (ala voodoo)

Associate
Its a dimm slot, you could upgrade the card video ram with a whole 4mb stick of ram.

The pin connector on the top were normally for daughter boards, so a second slot is taken up for expanding the video outputs for example. You connected the daughter board with a ribbon cable.

Normally if you expanded the video outputs, you needed to upgrade the video ram depending on you were doing. You could run out of memory just displaying just the desktop.

3DFX cards around that period allowed you connect them together with ribbon cables, early sli.

I'm old.

Man of Honour
That's nifty.. now why would that have been discontinued?

Because then RAM (and GPUs) were comparitively slow, latency wasn't as much of an issue, which meant memory could be further away and could handle the dB loss and signal issues introduced by such a connector. Now, clock speeds are so ludicrously high that it's essential to have a low latency, which means memory needs to extremely close to the GPU die and have as high a quality a connection as possible. Too much latency and your signal can't physically travel to the GPU and be processed by the time the next clock cycle comes around.

Associate
I could never get the 2 voodoo 2's I had to work together. It could have been before they weren't the same make and one was slightly bigger than the other one.
It was full of issues, the only game i remembered that worked was Incoming, 1998 one.

Anyone else remember early 3D was mostly a add-in card at first. I think S3 Virge was the first card that did both on one card, don't hold me to it. :)

Associate
Remember having one of them many years ago.

Having a clear out and came across an old x1950pro, good old ago with 512MB

No word of a lie, I had one of those still going in a hand-me-down rig i'd given someone until just over a year or so ago (was only being used for general office/browsing so perfectly adequate). I think it only got binned in the end due to the (unsurprising) lack of any useable Windows 10 driver.

Associate
Even better This card can not even do 3D and it is an addon card from back in the day and the Specs are
  • Made by:Trident
  • Codename:TGUI9440 1
  • Bus:pCI
  • Memory Size:1MB, 2MB
  • Max Memory Size:2MB
  • Memory Type:FPM, EDO
  • Year:1994
  • Card Type:VGA
  • Manufacturer:TSMC
  • Made in:Taiwan
  • Owned by:Vlask, Palcal, Zaatharen
  • Outputs:15 pin D‐sub
If you want to see it Click for image

I have two Voodoo 1 cards, three voodoo 3 cards, NVIDIA GeForce2 MX200 and some other random parts from old pcs

Back
Top Bottom