Your most memorable moments in gaming

Man of Honour
There are few games I remember much from, but I’m curious what you most memorable gaming moments are?

A few of mine:
  • Witcher 3 sailing across a lake in the middle of the night to a haunted house (I only vaguely remember this quest)
  • Elite force and the first time the Borg adapted to my weapons completely unexpectedly and assimilated me
  • Starcraft 2 pretending the internet had disconnected, hiding my Terran base in a corner and having players disconnect after a few minutes
  • Flooding our terraria dungeon and blaming Neil :p, sorry Neil.
  • Many F1 races and Star Trek online moments with you guys
I’m sure I’ll think of more...

wnb

wnb

Soldato
1. Playing Doom over serial cable at my mates.
2. Opening Sequence of Half Life
3. Nailing Skiing in Tribes
4. Playing CTF in UT demo.
5. Wireplay.

Associate
Unfortunately I have terrible memory so it takes something to trigger a memory for me to remember how intense it was.
I couldn't pick out any moments off the top of my head

I'd say jumping from 1080p at 60Hz to 1440p at 165Hz is the most memorable in recent years

Witcher 3 sailing across a lake in the middle of the night to a haunted house (I only vaguely remember this quest)
The one with the Pestas in the lab. Great quest
Also reminds me the ending of the first Witcher is one of these moments for me.
"THAT SWORD IS FOR MONSTERS"

If I sat and looked through my entire game library I'm sure it would remind me of some stuff

Man of Honour
Sadly I'm starting to forget many these days it has been so long :(
  • Opening sequence in HL is definitely up there - nothing had done anything quite like that to that point in time.
  • The original Elite with its open gameplay shaped a lot of my thinking when it came to gaming ever since
  • Pretty much anything to do with Quake 2 - though the single player peaked early the modding scene, etc. made it so memorable especially some of the funky mods.
  • While overall I found the game meh unfortunately but the moments when you first leave a planet and first leave a solar system in No Man's Sky are quite something
  • Freespace 1/2 and Wing Commander Secret Ops had a few battles where the music kicks in, hostile waves start warping in, your support starts trickling in and it was always goosebumps

Soldato
First time the music kicked in and I saw the Tank charging towards me and a group of friends in L4D.

We had no idea what to do so plenty of shouting and confusion on mics followed by laughter as we all got battered.

Soldato
Playing Doom for the first time with a 3D card.
Gaming at 4k for the first time.
Deathmatch Duke Nukem until the early hours. Great fun with the Pipe Bomb.
Many, many sessions of TOCA & TOCA 2 with friends. Always dreading the 'sending liveries' message'

Nailing Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. When Sanctuary takes flight in Borderlands 2. Pretty much the whole of the Tiny Tina DLC.
Killing Doyle in Far Cry.
The supernova in Freespace 2. The first appearance of the Sathanas in Freespace 2
The ending of Wing Commander 2.

Oh yes: Worms Armageddon & the Super Banana Bomb. The first time. Need I say more?

Soldato
Being king of the office on Gorillas in Q Basic, I was also the 1st in the office to finish Solitaire, I didn't work very hard in them days

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Interesting question:
- First game I ever played on a computer was nicknamed Star Trek, and ran on an ICL mini (IIRC), that must have been back in 1975
- I played a LOT of chess when I was a kid, including against a dedicated chess computer if that counts
- Had a very early atari, with tennis on it
- My first home computer was a ZX Spectrum. Games that stood out for me including Barbarian and a version of Defender
- A friend of mine had a BBC model B with both Revs and Elite. Both were wow at the time
- Had an Amiga in the early 90s. Bought it to run the first Falcon. Had some really cool games including Bloodbowl and Silent Service 2
- Bought a PC in 95'. The first Wolf was out then, then Doom and Quake. I was a Uni and the really focused upon Grand Prix 2. Used to link up on serial cable with some friends and play full length races. Worms was the lunchtime break
- Since then, I guess it's been CS (the original), lot of fun in that. WOT, lot of frustration in that. Elite (lot of grind) and now DCS (lot of challenge and satisfaction)

Soldato
Shogun 2 mp match - I had most of my army in the open between two forests, nothing special, low level units in rather poor formations, making me look like a noob. What the player didnt know was that i had my high level ninja units hidden in the forests. So as the player sent his whole army to engage mine i waited until they were all engaged then i sprung my trap and two units from each side of the forests flanked the already engaged enemey army and it was a decisive victory for me.

Soldato
There are few games I remember much from, but I’m curious what you most memorable gaming moments are?

A few of mine:
  • Witcher 3 sailing across a lake in the middle of the night to a haunted house (I only vaguely remember this quest)
  • Elite force and the first time the Borg adapted to my weapons completely unexpectedly and assimilated me
  • Starcraft 2 pretending the internet had disconnected, hiding my Terran base in a corner and having players disconnect after a few minutes
  • Flooding our terraria dungeon and blaming Neil :p, sorry Neil.
  • Many F1 races and Star Trek online moments with you guys
I’m sure I’ll think of more...

* playing CSS for the first time, how much learning was needed for spray.
* AOE1-2 how good a strat game could be with terrible graphics
* UT1999 for pure lunch fun
*RDR went you first reach mexico.. the music!
* Witcher 3 went you enter skeillge
* Witcher 2 you beat the kraken

Soldato
  • Plenty of Elder Scrolls online and Battlefield 2 moments
  • Meeting paarthurnax in Skyrim and blackreach first time
  • Prince of Persia sands of time ending
  • Metal Gear Solid Phantom pain, lots of moments there in terms of details being revealed.
  • Call of Duty nuke and airport scene
  • Read dead 1, last stand near game end
  • Fallout 3 when you first leave vault, was also my first fallout game and seeing the landscape for the first time, wow!

Permabanned
So many but a few standouts...

Brian Bloodaxe on the ZX Spectrum
Super Mario World and F Zero on the SNES
Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga
Doom on PC
Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer on PC
Unreal on the PC with 3DFX card
Mario 64 on the N64
Warcraft on the PC

Associate
Got many, but some that really impressed me at the time:

Stunt Car Racer on C64: Much more expensive Amiga version was a lot better, but for a audio cassette game on an ageing C64 this game had great 3D car controls and sense of movement.
There weren't even that many arcades in 1989 with more realistic driving style, Hard Drivin' came out the same year in arcades and was also really impressive for me.

Mario 64 on N64: First really solid third person 3D game for controls and camera. Fair to consider it the best 3D game ever released on any platform at the time.

Half Life 2 on an ATI 9800 Pro at time of release, epic physics and graphics, was a pinnacle of gaming and way better technically than console games at the time.

I can't really think of many after Half Life 2, much lesser extent but maybe Dark Souls 1 on PC and Mario Kart Wii U/Switch at time of release as well.

Associate
  • Sonic The Hedgehog and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (Master System). Earliest gaming memories as a kid.
  • Madden '92 (Mega Drive). Remember my old man bringing this home.
  • Fifa International Soccer (Mega Drive). Huge leap forward from games such as Sensi.
  • Destruction Derby (PlayStation). Remember trying the demo in Toys R' Us and being so hyped. It felt like such a leap forward and I played it to death.
  • Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen (PlayStation). Innumerable hours.
  • Worms (PlayStation). Funniest game ever in a group. Four or five Worms in a hole and toss in one of those cluster bombs that wouldn't fragment. They'd explode like an A-bomb and rip off 170 health points like nobody's business!
  • Twisted Metal World Tour (PlayStation). Many an hour spent on this with a couple of mates who lived next door.
  • Pro Evo (PlayStation). Routine evenings playing this with the old man and his best pal. I was an exuberant early-teen and the don on this, ran rings around them!
  • Champ Manager (PC). Played my first iteration of this at around 16, the difference between it and similar games on the PlayStation was astronomical.
  • Close Combat (PC). Brilliant game, another favourite pastime with the old man. Particularly when you take out a Sturmgeschutz with a bazooka before it can get it's bearings. Oh, and hidden flamethrower units :D
So, nearly all mine are from way back when, games in my youth when gaming was all that mattered. Not necessarily the best or most spectacular games, but ones that left an indelible memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
FF7 the opening stretch, blowing the reactor, was an introduction to gaming like I'd never seen before, having come to PS1 from SNES.

Dark Souls: dropping the ladder and suddenly realising how ******* clever the whole map was.

Bioshock: that dive down and seeing Rapture for the first time

Pushing the lawnmower around in Dead Rising..... And then realising I could run over the zombies :D

Borrowing Unirally (SNES) from my mate and breaking every record so far beyond his reach that it ruined the game for him

Associate
Some that I've just remembered

• Beating pre-nerf Kanrethad in WoW
  • Stroggification sequence in Quake 4
  • The dream of Dolores Dei in Disco Elysium
  • The ending of Tales From the Borderlands
  • The mission in Age of Empires where you have to penetrate a heavily fortified area using nothing but a few units and blind priests dotted around the map
  • Watching Jenny die in The Darkness

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom