Votes: 11 16.7%

Votes: 21 31.8%

Votes: 12 18.2%

Votes: 2 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Here are the drivers I would dump from their teams (not necessarily from F1):

1. Bottas - Mercedes need time to bring another driver up to speed should Hamilton retire at the end of next year.
2. Albon - he's not lived up to the promise he showed. He will likely do better elsewhere.
3. Ocon - as Albon.
4. Raikkonen - he's past it.
5. Latifi - he's out of his depth.
6. Kvyat - out of his depth.

I'm not sure about Giovinazzi. Yes he has a poor car and yes his team-mate is Kimi, but he really hasn't shown anything.

There's huge talent in F2 and F3. Bring some of them on.

Soldato
Another enjoyable race, although it calmed down after a chaotic first few laps.

92 wins for Hamilton and delivered in real style.

Yeah, great job from Hamilton. I enjoyed him going through a 140mph corner with one hand on the while. Also mentioned the front left going off in the first stint but still utterly trounced his teammate. I think his records are going to stand for a long time. I still think he will retire or do a different category of racing when he gets one more championship than Schumacher.

4. Raikkonen - he's past it.

You missed the first few laps yesterday? I think he will leave though, only cos he doesn't really care either way.

Man of Honour
Quite a trek for the teams to get from Portimao to Imola !! 25 Hour Drive

50538277856_bcded87a25_c.jpg
Portimao to Imola by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Caporegime
Bottas - Mercedes need time to bring another driver up to speed should Hamilton retire at the end of next year.

The sooner Bottas leaves that seat the better as far as I am concerned. I hope he can find a decent seat elsewhere though. He's plenty good enough to deserve one, and would be a solid asset for many a team

Albon should go to Formula E where he was heading before his abrupt callup, IMO, I don't see a place for him in F1, but I think RB will keep him around. Ocon has been disappointing, Kvyat has never returned to form after being dropped for Max; time to go. Kimi rarely has his spark these days; let some new blood in. Vettel should be out; a pity RP are taking him. Giovinazzi hasn't impressed; I don't see him as any better than Ocon.

The only driver I'd disagree over is Latifi. I think he's doing a solid job in a truly awful car. I expected far worse of him.

Associate
This was posted elsewhere but was interesting to see Lewis has always had a competitive car.

2020 - dominant car, Mercedes 10/12* wins (so far)
2019 - dominant car, Mercedes 15/21 wins
2018 - dominant car, Mercedes 11/21 wins
2017 - dominant car, Mercedes 12/20 wins
2016 - dominant car, Mercedes 19/21 wins
2015 - dominant car, Mercedes 16/19 wins
2014 - dominant car, Mercedes 16/19 wins
2013 - race winning car, Mercedes 3/19 wins and 2nd in WCC
2012 - race winning car, McLaren-Mercedes 7/20 wins, 3rd in WCC
2011 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 6/19 wins, 2nd in WCC
2010 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 5/19 wins, 2nd in WCC
2009 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 2/17 wins, 3rd in WCC
2008 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 6/17 wins, 3rd in WCC
2007 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 8/17 wins, 2rd in WCC *then excluded due to espionage

I'd love to Lewis move to a team like Williams and start from scratch. Do you think he'd do well?

Caporegime
This was posted elsewhere but was interesting to see Lewis has always had a competitive car.

There's an awful lot of assuming that the success was merely down to the car and not Lewis there. Take the "race winning car" tag there, in 2009, everyone of those wins was achieved by Lewis, and only in 2013 were less than half of the wins by Hamilton. Is that a race winning car, or a race winning Lewis? In 2017 and 2018, it's down as "dominant car", yet the other driver in that car wouldn't have won the championship, it would have gone to Vettel in the Ferrari. Hell, in 2018, the other car didn't win a single race. Is that really a dominant car, or is it the consequence of Lewis's brilliance.

Yes, Lewis has always been in good cars. He got those drives because of his quality, first in the feeder series, and then matching double World Champion Fernando Alonso in his first season and winning his second.

I'd love to Lewis move to a team like Williams and start from scratch. Do you think he'd do well?

At Williams? No. They're too far back, but Lewis did go to midfield Mercedes in 2013, and helped lift them from 5th to 2nd in his first season, and to victory in the year after.

Associate
There's an awful lot of assuming that the success was merely down to the car and not Lewis there. Take the "race winning car" tag there, in 2009, everyone of those wins was achieved by Lewis, and only in 2013 were less than half of the wins by Hamilton. Is that a race winning car, or a race winning Lewis? In 2017 and 2018, it's down as "dominant car", yet the other driver in that car wouldn't have won the championship, it would have gone to Vettel in the Ferrari. Hell, in 2018, the other car didn't win a single race. Is that really a dominant car, or is it the consequence of Lewis's brilliance.

Yes, Lewis has always been in good cars. He got those drives because of his quality, first in the feeder series, and then matching double World Champion Fernando Alonso in his first season and winning his second.

At Williams? No. They're too far back, but Lewis did go to midfield Mercedes in 2013, and helped lift them from 5th to 2nd in his first season, and to victory in the year after.

I think the car, team and it's resources play a huge part in a drivers success. I have no doubt that he is a quality driver and one of the best, but I also wanted to state that part of his success should also be attributed to his car, colleagues, team, resources. What's interesting to note is success breeds success, brings in more sponsorship, the best engineers and staff, etc.

I would very much like to see him enter a backmarker where they have minimal investment, resources and staff and turn them around within a 5 year period.

Caporegime

2020 - dominant car, Mercedes 10/12* wins (so far)
2019 - dominant car, Mercedes 15/21 wins
2018 - dominant car, Mercedes 11/21 wins
2017 - dominant car, Mercedes 12/20 wins
2016 - dominant car, Mercedes 19/21 wins
2015 - dominant car, Mercedes 16/19 wins
2014 - dominant car, Mercedes 16/19 wins
2013 - race winning car, Mercedes 3/19 wins and 2nd in WCC
2012 - race winning car, McLaren-Mercedes 7/20 wins, 3rd in WCC
2011 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 6/19 wins, 2nd in WCC
2010 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 5/19 wins, 2nd in WCC
2009 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 2/17 wins, 3rd in WCC
2008 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 6/17 wins, 3rd in WCC
2007 - race winning car, McLaren Mercedes 8/17 wins, 2rd in WCC *then excluded due to espionage

Thing I take most from that is remember Michael Schumacher was driving in the Mercedes from 2010 to 2012 and decided to retire as the car had not progressed as much as he had liked.

From 2012 to 2013 there were no major technical changes, so the cars were as near as damn it identical to each other.

In 2012 Michael got one fastest lap, no poles no race wins.

In 2013 Lewis had 1 fastest lap, 5 pole positions, and one race win, in basically the same car.

Caporegime
I think the car, team and it's resources play a huge part in a drivers success. I have no doubt that he is a quality driver and one of the best, but I also wanted to state that part of his success should also be attributed to his car, colleagues, team, resources. What's interesting to note is success breeds success, brings in more sponsorship, the best engineers and staff, etc.

Absolutely. You'll get no argument from me there. Mercedes are an amazing team and their deserve their success.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom