Acceptable radiator installation

Associate
Hello,

I recently had a radiator changed due to a warranty claim, as the year old radiator was faulty. It could not be for the exact same radiator.

I would like others opinions as to whether they think the attached photos warrant an acceptable installation.

link to images: https://imgur.com/gallery/zlTBauT
my issues are:
  1. a whole has been left in the wall, where then engineer was having issues fitting the new bracket.
  2. the old metal fittings have not been removed from the wall.
  3. the bottom bracket is at a strange angle.
JBiffdw

D76TU6s

GI91zuS

I have sent these picture to the company and their reply was 'looked over the pictures with a technical engineer and he has advised that the installation of the radiator is to an acceptable standard'.

Thank you for any constructive comments :)

Steven

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like they've ballsed up the two bottom fittings - can tell the way the plasterboard has 'blown'/being pulled out by the plasterboard fixings they have used. Does it move if you pull on it - don't pull too hard!

As it's a warranty claim I would expect them to at least fill the previous fixings over with filler and the holes they made also - with me left to paint over once dry.

Associate
OP
Looks like they've ballsed up the two bottom fittings - can tell the way the plasterboard has 'blown'/being pulled out by the plasterboard fixings they have used. Does it move if you pull on it - don't pull too hard!

As it's a warranty claim I would expect them to at least fill the previous fixings over with filler and the holes they made also - with me left to paint over once dry.

That was my initial thinking too. I have given it a gental pull, and seems to be ok. Just noticed that the pipework is actually leaking- so they are going to have to come back and sort that anyway!

It's only taken them since Feb 2020 to get this far :|.

Soldato
What is it with some "trades". A quick flick with some instant filler and a quick smooth down and leave for the cust to Paint would have been 99% better.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your replies.

The whole situation is just so annoying. I would have brought it up with the engineer on the day, but when they start cursing because things aren't going right, I just can't bring myself to question the work!

Guess this is going to be a long complaint process I am going to have to deal with.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Whilst that is a terrible install.
Its probably not in their agreement to 'make good' etc. So while in an ideal world, they would remove the old fixings, skim it over.

Id definitely want it fitted properly.

Soldato
leaving the existing holes, I very much doubt they would sort them out, as for the mounting they did, awful - its pulled the plasterboard and the fixings used have lost strength as the board its fixed to is as said blown and weakened - I do not know if the wall is dot n dab or board and batten to brick or anything more solid, as if it is they haven't drilled deep enough to hit solid brick and then plug the end of a screw, drive into the hole until the plug hits brick and the screw goes tight with the plug, if its a partition wall, the fixings used have weakened the board and they should have used foam in the hole to fill the void and then re skim with some easy fill and made a new fixing - I wouldn't tug too hard on that radiator, you do not want to fracture the valves !!

Soldato
That's a shockingly bad job for a supposed tradesmen and I would be wanting to see the "engineers" qualification's if he thinks that is anything other than a botch job. I would also be raising the numpty cursing while installing it as not very "professional" is it.

Soldato
Given the wooden floor beneath you don't want a situation where it either falls off the wall damaging the floor or leaks on it, or both!

The way they've installed it it's barely hanging on as the fixings are sagging down.

Soldato
This is why I do so much of this kind of stuff myself. Is it a plumbers job to rectify holes in walls?

If it's secured, functional and doesn't leak, is the plumbers job done?

As a tradesman, I'd be embarassed to leave a customers property like that - especially the way it's been mounted, as it's clearly horribly bodged. But, if you start taking responsiblity for other issues - eg the old holes - where does it stop. To fix the holes would take a while to allow the filler to dry properly. And then to match the paint etc. At what point does the plumbers responsiblity - and therefor culpability - end.

Permabanned
Can't be certain cus I can't see the top two fittings but it's perhaps the bottom two are slightly too high and they have dropped the radiator on and then pushed down to get the top two to slot in - which has pushed the bottom two almost to breaking point. Totally amateurish job, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Soldato
Don't think i would accept that as well.

As others have said, you might not get them to make good the previous holes, but i would have at least expected the installation of the new radiator to be good.

Soldato
If the plumber removed old radiator, then they should also remove and then cover old fixings. That is a completed task. Decorating to match requires paint to match and would be unreasonable.
Installing a new raditor with correct fixings is also the bare minimum expected. The blown plaster would suggest they failed in this respect also. Either ask him to come back and repair the failed install or contact the insurance and say the repair is incomplete.

Permabanned
If the plumber removed old radiator, then they should also remove and then cover old fixings. That is a completed task. Decorating to match requires paint to match and would be unreasonable.
Installing a new raditor with correct fixings is also the bare minimum expected. The blown plaster would suggest they failed in this respect also. Either ask him to come back and repair the failed install or contact the insurance and say the repair is incomplete.

Unfortunately you can't rely on someone with a specific title to wander outside of their profession. So you can't assume a plumber will do any wall repairs or decorating. For moving a radiator you really need a handyman not a plumber. Moving a radiator is a simple job. A handyman would be expected to make good any holes, plaster or paint.

Back
Top Bottom