Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I have my Virgin Superhub 3 (think it's 3) as the modem, and my Netgear XR500 connected as the router. This then connects to a switch for my stepdad and me on powerline upstairs as wifi is awful in this house. Think we're on a 350Mbps connection. Is there anything I can do to get better speeds?

Powerline Adapters atm are the best I can do and don't think I can install a second router just for me, or can I? Never looked into it before. Push comes to shove maybe a Wifi6 router?

Soldato
I’m now out of contract with VM and have been paying £75 / month for M200 broadband and Talk Unlimited (I believe this has now been replaced by Anytime Extra).

I’ve cancelled as they could only offer me a £10 reduction so hoping they’ll call me back, what should I be looking to pay?

£75 is insane. You might be able to start a new contract and back date it, so you get a refund for the extra. I've done that before with them.

Soldato
Grrr, contract up and was paying £31 a month for M100 broadband plus mix TV (that I don't really use tbh). Retentions say I can have £33 a month for the same package or £29 for broadband only. Quoted plus net prices and they won't budge... Unfortunately I have to use VM because FTTC is only guaranteed to 29Mb for my address. Anyone have any tricks?

Associate
Grrr, contract up and was paying £31 a month for M100 broadband plus mix TV (that I don't really use tbh). Retentions say I can have £33 a month for the same package or £29 for broadband only. Quoted plus net prices and they won't budge... Unfortunately I have to use VM because FTTC is only guaranteed to 29Mb for my address. Anyone have any tricks?

Have to try and play the game and say ok here is my notice of cancellation. Then hope they call you before with a deal, or let it cancel and try and get a new deal straight after??

Unfortunately they know (or should!) what else is on offer in the area so they may not budge.

Associate
Is there any alternative to VM TV service that supplies a similar set of channels? My parents are on a 'Mix' bundle I think with 100mb and weekend calls, paying just over £60pm. I want to move them to another ISP, but it's the TV channels my mum are used to that are the sticking point.

Soldato
Hi all Im moving from sky broadband to VM as I want a bit more speed and getting the 350Mbps on a dynamic with 7Mbps upload, What kind of router are you all using as Im looking at wifi 6 for better coverage

Soldato
Hi all Im moving from sky broadband to VM as I want a bit more speed and getting the 350Mbps on a dynamic with 7Mbps upload, What kind of router are you all using as Im looking at wifi 6 for better coverage

Same question here - moving to M350 in new house as BT line <1Mbps. Have a budget for a router circa £200 to run the hub in modem mode, which seems to be the way forward.

Thanks

Soldato
M350 here. Using a PfSense box and Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR Access Point. Running multiple VPN Clients, VPN server and Failover 4G WAN. It's been solid for years and gives strong WiFi through out my whole house and into the garden. Probably overkill for most but the way I see it, I'll never need to upgrade for years.

Associate
M350 here. Using a PfSense box and Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR Access Point. Running multiple VPN Clients, VPN server and Failover 4G WAN. It's been solid for years and gives strong WiFi through out my whole house and into the garden. Probably overkill for most but the way I see it, I'll never need to upgrade for years.

Can you tell me a little more about your setup.

Mine used the V-Box as a modem, connected to a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router for WiFi. I also have the Nighthawk connected to a gigabit switch for ethernet access up to the loft where I have another gigabit switch for hard wired devices. This works well apart from WiFi is weak in the loft which I want to fix.

In your one, I guess the Ubiquiti ensures goof wifi access across your home but what does PFsense do ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom