• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Hey!

Just came upon this thread,

Received my card around 1 month ago now (27/09/2020) - Fantastic card! Been using it heavily for some sim racing games like Assetto Corsa competizone and iRacing and its been fantastic. Playing at 4K so the extra oomph has been worth the premium.

08uH0yM.jpg

08uH0yM

Photo is a bit awkward as its been installed for ages now but you can just about make out the 3090 on the sticker. Was lucky enough to get one of the few cards at launch.

I can not see your pics.

Associate
I have. What do you need to know?

Hey, great. Thanks for the response.

When I test fitted the PCB to the block one screw was slightly off (before even tightening anything)

When I came to fit the back plate, it looked like being very slightly off-centre and I couldn't tighten it down. All the other screws attached perfectly.

I tightened the 6 around the gpu core first and then outwards for the 6 for the backplate (double checked using right screws 4's for core 7's for backplate)

(bottom right in first pic)

(top right second pic)

All the other screws went in fine and flush.

I used a longer M2 8mm screw but isn't quite holding perfectly.

Did you have any similar sort of issue at all?

Thanks,

95pWveu.jpg

iYB0mFP.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ah, I didn't get my backplate and decided to use heatsinks on the VRAM instead with good results so I stuck with that plan and cancelled the order. All my screw holes lined up quite nicely for the main block, but I got them all in and left them all fairly loose before taking it in turns to tighten them up in opposite orders etc.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Okay lads finally got my hands on a 3090

Set up I'm running is

2600x (till zen 3)
16gb 3600mhz (will be going 4400)
3090 fe got it Idle at 28 and max under load 54

My port royal scores are low 13778 I thought port royal wasn't to fussed on cpu as is a pure gpu bench I take it will shoot up when I get a 5950x ?

Forgot to mention that is over clocked aswell

Soldato
Okay lads finally got my hands on a 3090

Set up I'm running is

2600x (till zen 3)
16gb 3600mhz (will be going 4400)
3090 fe got it Idle at 28 and max under load 54

My port royal scores are low 13778 I thought port royal wasn't to fussed on cpu as is a pure gpu bench I take it will shoot up when I get a 5950x ?

Forgot to mention that is over clocked aswell

Your score is great for stock on a <400W bios.

Associate
Ah, I didn't get my backplate and decided to use heatsinks on the VRAM instead with good results so I stuck with that plan and cancelled the order. All my screw holes lined up quite nicely for the main block, but I got them all in and left them all fairly loose before taking it in turns to tighten them up in opposite orders etc.

yeah, the one thing i did was screw the 6 screws around the core (as you say evenly in opposing order) then attached the backplate.

Wondering if I should have put in all the screws for tension and then taken out backplate ones and put back in for applying backplate.

I contacted EK anyway, and they said as long as you have all the other screws in place that one shouldn't affect performance.

Thanks for the reply anyways.

Associate
yeah, the one thing i did was screw the 6 screws around the core (as you say evenly in opposing order) then attached the backplate.

Wondering if I should have put in all the screws for tension and then taken out backplate ones and put back in for applying backplate.

I contacted EK anyway, and they said as long as you have all the other screws in place that one shouldn't affect performance.

Thanks for the reply anyways.

No probs - at first I went too tight and notice a misalignment on the screw nearest the water in port, then loosened and did it the way above with good results.

Hey Dan, would be really cool to know what kind of backplate temps you get if you can find that out? I stuck a probe on my VRM heatsinks and it'll get to about 65C max if I really go for it - that seems pretty decent to me, and most of the time it's in the 50s when gaming. Probably need to spend more time looking to be super sure tho.

Associate
No probs - at first I went too tight and notice a misalignment on the screw nearest the water in port, then loosened and did it the way above with good results.

Hey Dan, would be really cool to know what kind of backplate temps you get if you can find that out? I stuck a probe on my VRM heatsinks and it'll get to about 65C max if I really go for it - that seems pretty decent to me, and most of the time it's in the 50s when gaming. Probably need to spend more time looking to be super sure tho.

I am being incredibly zen if you will excuse the pun.

I am waiting for Ryzen new cpu's and I don't have a mobo yet.

I have already tested the card in my Media PC but I wanted everything else sorted so I can do the last bits.

Hopefully, all going well I can report good results some time next month!

I do know the temps with the stock cooler were already good, so hoping it is good.

I saw one guy getting in the 30's in furmark with just the gpu in the loop. That looked too good to be true.

I have seen some crazy backplate cooling and I heard they get pretty toasty!

I reckon temps are similar to 2080 ti watercooled overall all considered, from what i have heard.

Last edited:

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Your score is great for stock on a <400W bios.

Hoping a new cpu will bump it u have a 8700k that does 5.2/5.1 with my 2080ti in my other machine that I'm hoping to sell but where I'm sitting it isn't doing much more with the 3090 my 4k 120hz c9 will not even do 4k 60hz with hdr :(

Associate
I am being incredibly zen if you will excuse the pun.

I am waiting for Ryzen new cpu's and I don't have a mobo yet.

I have already tested the card in my Media PC but I wanted everything else sorted so I can do the last bits.

Hopefully, all going well I can report good results some time next month!

I do know the temps with the stock cooler were already good, so hoping it is good.

I saw one guy getting in the 30's in furmark with just the gpu in the loop. That looked too good to be true.

I have seen some crazy backplate cooling and I heard they get pretty toasty!

I reckon temps are similar to 2080 ti watercooled overall all considered, from what i have heard.

You have a lot of patience! Zen master! You should take up yoga :D

My GPU temps are wonderful even when pulling close to 400W ~45C is about as high as it gets even after hours of gaming, and the fans are set to be nice and quiet.

P.B - this was my Port Royal run, pretty similar to yours and limited by power - https://www.3dmark.com/pr/435593

Associate
You have a lot of patience! Zen master! You should take up yoga :D

My GPU temps are wonderful even when pulling close to 400W ~45C is about as high as it gets even after hours of gaming, and the fans are set to be nice and quiet.

P.B - this was my Port Royal run, pretty similar to yours and limited by power - https://www.3dmark.com/pr/435593

Looking like a pretty sick system you have there.

I'm coming from a 8700K I had at 5ghz at around 1.28V. With a 2080 Ti founders in the loop with two 360mm rads. Was pretty cool running. Horrible coil whine though.

Had 16gb 3200Mhz G Skill Ram but I've just bought 32gb of the G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz low latency 16 kit for Zen 3.

Can always bump it up a level if it can run faster. Just wanted something on the QVL List.

One thing Intel can do is crush Ram speed and clock speed as your test shows!

I already do yoga for my bad back actually :D

YFrHH0x

Associate
Anyone playing MSFS 2020 with 3 4K monitors? According the reviewers benchmarks, 4K at ultra settings does around 40-50 fps. So for 3 monitors it would be able 15-20 fps?

Soldato
Still no movement on the Asus Strix OC from the supplier I've ordered from, not moved in the queue for a while now. Are Asus even trying to get cards out or have they halted production at this point?

Back
Top Bottom