Motivation

Caporegime
I have people around me who I love and love me, I have more expendable income than most, my job is relatively simple and despite being shift based has a lot of flexibility in regards to moving hours around and taking holiday so I can largely do what I want outside of my employment
How is it awful? Because I don't have a ****** rented flat or what?

If you're happy you're happy.

Id rather have nothing and be happy than all the money and not.

I was actually at my happiest when I had very little in terms of material stuff. Food for thought this thread

Man of Honour
I have people around me who I love and love me, I have more expendable income than most, my job is relatively simple and despite being shift based has a lot of flexibility in regards to moving hours around and taking holiday so I can largely do what I want outside of my employment
How is it awful? Because I don't have a ****** rented flat or what?

By account of a number of mental health professionals I was forecast to either be in prison or dead by now so I'll take what I've got
No, because it sounds like a life that I would not enjoy at all.

Associate
If you're happy you're happy.

Id rather have nothing and be happy than all the money and not.

I was actually at my happiest when I had very little in terms of material stuff. Food for thought this thread
Money is great but I kinda hate it. Too many years living wage packet to wage packet has left me almost afraid to spend it. Used to be a time where spending £20 in a week would financially cripple me
Think I'm mostly over that now though.

No, because it sounds like a life that I would not enjoy at all.
So it doesn't really sound awful, just not a life suited to your desires.
Consumerist as it may be I'm perfectly happy to be able to go to concerts, buy vinyl, computer parts and games to my hearts content.
I don't think there's anything more I really want in life as long as I'm comfortable and can do things without fear of being broke.
I still wouldn't really call that a motivation though

Man of Honour
I would hate it, therefore it sounds awful.

Living in my teenage room.
Living with my parents.
Having a low level job.
Having a job I kind of hate.

etc etc.

The same as offering a plate of lobster to someone who hates shellfish would sound awful to them. It isn't a complex concept.

If you are happy then great. I would not be,if I were in your position.

Associate
We really must have different concepts of the intensity of the word "awful"

I wouldn't usually presume to know someone's experiences but if getting offered a seafood paella in place of a lobster bisque is that bad then yeesh, I can only envisage what a life of plenty you must have always led

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely always disagreed with "money doesn't buy you happiness"
Like sure, maybe not directly but it definitely lets you remove the burdens that make you unhappy and buy things that enhance your happiness

Financial security, all the time in the world to do your hobbies and procrastinate over a nice coffee. Yeah i’d day money goes along way to creating happiness.

Soldato
Yep, it's tough.

I have a tough tough job that pays fairly well but I'm not loving it. I have more than enough money to take a year or two (or 5) off from work but I fear I'll end up going back to the same old nonsense that I dislike so much but know so well.

Right now I just set short term goals for myself, which really just encases wishing time away but things will get better next year when we move out of Wellington to be closer to family and I'll be away from this job. I'm terrible at forcing myself away from bad situations (mentally) that's good for me financially and more often than not, needs to to have an outside influence come in and pull me away. Well, this will be it.

I love hanging with my 5 months old daughter and watching her delight in new things she notices and how hard she works at trying to sit and crawl. It really and truly is the simple things in life.

Caporegime
It's a good question.

Firstly, collectively we're absolutely ruining the world.

Secondly, most of us end up enriching others more than ourselves through the work we do.

Third, we're only here for the blink of an eye then we're gone.

Objectively and without emotion, we're all living extremely pointless existences.

Taken as a whole humanity is a mostly destructive force upon the planet. There's nothing to be proud of, here.

Why do we keep going... keep breeding... keep consuming...

It's a good question.

Life is enjoyable for most. Even the poor.

Otherwise suicide would be rife.

You are likely depressed. You live with your parents and complain about wages and house prices.

When's the last time you made a positive post?

There's people who are being bombed daily yet you sound absolutely miserable living in comfort of the UK.

Caporegime
Life is enjoyable for most. Even the poor.

Otherwise suicide would be rife.

You are likely depressed. You live with your parents and complain about wages and house prices.

When's the last time you made a positive post?

There's people who are being bombed daily yet you sound absolutely miserable living in comfort of the UK.
I don't think that's the case at all.

Not enjoying life does not equal automatic suicide. Most people have itsy bitsy moments of joy sandwiched by an ocean of **** :p

I think that's normal. We just get on with it.

The question the OP asked is why we carry on with our pointless existences. Ultimately I think we're all living completely pointless existences. Don't you?

70 odd year and that.. zzzap, game over. No matter what you do, how rich you become, whether you're a great person or a ****bag, you shuffle off this mortal coil and eventually you're forgotten.

And during that 70 odd years most people work in jobs they don't really enjoy, to buy stuff they don't really want, and have kids to perpetuate the cycle of pointlessness.

It's not depression it's just cold hard reality.

Soldato
I definitely echo the posts suggesting that motivation comes from setting goals and taking on responsibilities.

I was always one for short term happiness without much thought for the future but as I've gotten older, that doesn't satisfy me any more.

I've recently started keeping a to do / goals list to keep me motivated. I'm also trying to focus more on a few hobbies / goals rather than spreading myself too thinly. I've realised that there's too many things to experience in life and you can't do all of them!

Caporegime
Oh and you know what else is really fun to think about?

At some point in the future they'll find out why we die and probably fix it.

Too **** late for us tho :p

Enjoy that thought.

Caporegime
Feels like an impossible question. But it's what it comes down to. It's a hard choice to make. And you normally hear of the people it's worked For. Not the ones it hasn't.

But yeah, serious danger of looking back in 20 years and going...well that was a waste! Like. Many others do.

Only positive. No kids. I've avoided that responsibility

Only you can decide really.

I'm lucky I've found some sort of balance really. I don't have a house or anything. But I have enough hobbies in my life to keep a sense of fulfilment on a day to day. With a job I don't hate.

I try to take risks in stuff, and I travel. Again I know I'll look back and regret but I don't want to regret too heavily.

Soldato
I don't think that's the case at all.

Not enjoying life does not equal automatic suicide. Most people have itsy bitsy moments of joy sandwiched by an ocean of **** :p

I think that's normal. We just get on with it.

The question the OP asked is why we carry on with our pointless existences. Ultimately I think we're all living completely pointless existences. Don't you?

70 odd year and that.. zzzap, game over. No matter what you do, how rich you become, whether you're a great person or a ****bag, you shuffle off this mortal coil and eventually you're forgotten.

And during that 70 odd years most people work in jobs they don't really enjoy, to buy stuff they don't really want, and have kids to perpetuate the cycle of pointlessness.

It's not depression it's just cold hard reality.

But what if your wrong, or just not entirely correct? Do you think most people are sad all the time?

I suppose if you get the scale on the map wrong - life might appear pointless if you comparing it say to the complexities of the universe. But - are you really smart for seeing things in a way others don't? Or do others know something or have a perspective that you don't?

Soldato
Just because life is ultimately pointless doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. In fact, its quite liberating that you can choose to spend your time how you see fit and theres no judgement call on it when your time is up.

Unless there is a god of course..

Caporegime
But what if your wrong, or just not entirely correct? Do you think most people are sad all the time?

I suppose if you get the scale on the map wrong - life might appear pointless if you comparing it say to the complexities of the universe. But - are you really smart for seeing things in a way others don't? Or do others know something or have a perspective that you don't?
Please don't put words into my mouth - I'm not claiming to be smart.

The smart people work at NASA, or Cyberdine :p

I tell you what tho, I look around, and I see people who are frequently bummed out by the world.

Or rather, by the human world, which means the society we've created for ourselves. Which is very dog eat dog, very pressurised, very much designed to use people up and burn them out, mostly in order to make more money for those at the top of the pyramid.

Sure these people have fleeting moments of joy, but the day-to-day life is one of grinding to pay off the mortgage, pay off the credit cards, yadda mc yadda.

Soldato
Sure these people have fleeting moments of joy, but the day-to-day life is one of grinding to pay off the mortgage, pay off the credit cards, yadda mc yadda.

What happens when the mortgage and credit card is paid off? Then you can enjoy the fruits of your many years of labour :D Or if you don't want to, please send it my way ;)

Soldato
Isn't that soft of a recursive and/or circular argument tho?

"What's the point of my life?"
"To have children!"
Children:
"To have children!"
Grandchildren:
"To have children!"

But really - what was the point beyond simply procreation?

Children can't give your life meaning. They just distract you for ~18 years from asking that question again.

I bet we all personally know plenty of people who became depressed when their children moved out. They spent so much of their daily energy on their children, that without the children around, their lives are empty.

So really, having children is not the answer to giving your life meaning.

An 18 year distraction is one of the biggest you can find, the meaning of life is to find a distraction.

Man of Honour
We really must have different concepts of the intensity of the word "awful"

I wouldn't usually presume to know someone's experiences but if getting offered a seafood paella in place of a lobster bisque is that bad then yeesh, I can only envisage what a life of plenty you must have always led
Your failure to understand the difference between an analogy and a literal (not to mention an inability to understand that simple analogy in the first place) tells me you are probably not the sort of person to be debating with on this, or any other topic.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom