• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Watching this in 4K - the menu looks fantastic, the games look beautiful with auto HDR and quick resume looks like a dream (and a big plus over PC, it’s just seamless). Can imagine filling the XSX quickly. Going to be some late nights coming up.
And people are complaining that the menu is only rendered in 1080p...

Soldato
Is it possible to use any usb hard drive to store Xbox X/S games on? Or can you only use slower external drives to play and store none X/S games

So if I want to play an x/s game I can transfer it to the nvme internal drive.

Just thinking I may buy a large external drive and just transfers games back and forth for when I want to play something else.

Man of Honour
Is it possible to use any usb hard drive to store Xbox X/S games on? Or can you only use slower external drives to play and store none X/S games

Just thinking I may buy a large external drive and just transfers games back and forth for when I want to play something else.

My understanding is that X/S optimised games have to be on the internal storage (or the expansion slot) to be played, but back compatible titles can be played from external storage.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Haha, quite. Looks good to me and if it frees up more gaming memory then I’m all for it.

Was about to order the 2Tb drive, but may wait until next month or Christmas present!

You can normally pick up decent ssd deals on black Friday id wait until then.

I wouldn't waste money for a top spec sata ssd either as whichever drive you get will be fine for a USB caddy as it'll be limited by the USB 3.1 speed.

Associate

You can play Xbox series X/S games off the internal NVME only..........you can store them on the external drive though, and transfer them between external and NVME as and when you want to play them.

You can play legacy games off an external HDD or internal NVME.

Soldato
You can play Xbox series X/S games off the internal NVME only..........you can store them on the external drive though, and transfer them between external and NVME as and when you want to play them.

You can play legacy games off an external HDD or internal NVME.
Thanks that's what I was hoping for, long as I can least store x/s games on an external drive that's great.

I'll just swap games between slow/fast drive when needed.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I thought it was only allowing Series X/S games to be playable off the internal nvme but after listening back on that video I'm sure they mention installing them on an external drive but losing the super quick loading, so possibly playable if you don't mind waiting a bit longer to load the game?

Soldato
I thought it was only allowing Series X/S games to be playable off the internal nvme but after listening back on that video I'm sure they mention installing them on an external drive but losing the super quick loading, so possibly playable if you don't mind waiting a bit longer to load the game?
X/S games are only playable on the internal or the Seagate nvme expansion card.

As mentioned to me above and further googling a usb external drive can only store X/S games, the game would need transfering to the nvme internal or Seagate expansion card to play.

Associate
Yes, and i think Digital Foundary did a piece last week about how long it took to transfer games between an external HDD and the internal NVME, so might be worth having a search back there.

Soldato
I picked up a 2TB MX500 drive the other week during the Amazon day deals for £156 which I will use for frequently played One X and older games, I've still got an 8TB HDD that I will use for storage.

Associate
Looking at the recent dashboard and UI video, I noticed when he plugs in the SSD the available space goes from 248mb to 1tb. So either the available space readout doesn't show decimals of TB or the memory sticks don't give a genuine 1tb extra space and only 750mb. Is that the same on current gen when you have over a TB of space?

Back
Top Bottom