How can three people drown in this pool ?

Soldato
Pardon my ignorance, how does port forwarding work in that case?

Everyone has a unique external IP address. You can see it in your router. It's how plex works when you are away from home.

That said, a lot of ISPs route you through their own web proxy in order to block file sharing sites and whatnot. This will be what's recorded in companies webserver logs.

It's the same with VPNs where customers share IPs. That's why sometimes when using a VPN, and accessing sites you see "Your IP address has been banned". Streaming services are the same, and don't work because they ban the block of IPs the VPN providers use.

Soldato
We're aware of quite a few at the mo

You're aware of people with multiple accounts? How come they haven't been banned yet?

On topic: The one person I'd like to hear from in this case is the staff member who tried to save them but found himself/herself struggling for his/her own life - haven't been able to find anything from him/her.

Caporegime
Everyone has a unique external IP address. You can see it in your router. It's how plex works when you are away from home.
Hmm I didn't think that was true either. Thought we'd run out of IPv4 addresses yonks ago. Isn't everything NAT'd to all hell and back these days? At the exchange, etc?

And lots of tower blocks, etc, sharing an IP?

That said, a lot of ISPs route you through their own web proxy in order to block file sharing sites and whatnot. This will be what's recorded in companies webserver logs.

It's the same with VPNs where customers share IPs. That's why sometimes when using a VPN, and accessing sites you see "Your IP address has been banned". Streaming services are the same, and don't work because they ban the block of IPs the VPN providers use.
Yup with TT I'm always seeing "You have been banned from editing" etc etc on Wikipedia and other places. Because we're all lumped together. I've never even edited a Wiki page lol.

Commissario
Fairs I'm very much a LAN guy.

To be honest I hadn't considered the fact, I'd assume they don't NAT the IPv6 addresses these days?
IPv4 is as has been said has been NAT'd up the wazoo, IIRC most of the mobile phone providers have everyone going through a handful of external IP's.

IPv6 has barely been implemented and most normal ISP's don't seem to be using it at all, and still have to maintain compatibility with IPv4 for services that don't support it.

Soldato
People like arguing, and it doesn't matter what their personal point of view is either.

Alt accounts ensures they keep up the argument, by either arguing against themselves, or adding a supporting view for validation.

It's pretty much the height of internet sadness.

I imagine the other reason is duplicate orders of things that are limited to one per customer like certain gfx cards I could mention

I'm pretty sure the Mods log our IPs because I was reminded in a thread that I use multiple :)
I'm in Germany at the moment, tomorrow I may be in Holland.

Don't all sites log IP's as a matter of course? Pretty sure they do.

Back
Top Bottom