Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
OP
Smooth scrolling is wasted on me. It's one of the first things I disable on Firefox.

You mean on Windows all I have to do is turn on smooth scrolling?

I think it's more than just they have turned on smooth scrolling. The way the webpage is painted seems different. Could be placebo. :p

---

OK I just checked. Smooth scrolling is on by default in windows.

I'm telling you they have done some magic in Ubuntu. Firefox on Ubuntu feels like it's superior now to the Windows version.

Last edited:
Associate
OK so it did actually happen again on my 3570k machine.

Untitled.png

No issues with the chromium browsers though. They feel much smoother to browse on this old PC.
Humble Bundle is a CPU hog for me on FF. The animated background hammers my 4690k, load up in any chromium browser and it's fine (no hardware accel on any). My solution, block the image with uBO.

Soldato
OP
I'm just listening in to this and the first min he says something interesting.

Apparently according to Snowden the data Google has on you which is collected via Chrome and their app ecosystem is data that is also available to the likes of the NSA!!

*The title says best browser for privacy

The issue is with the lack of market share and money Firefox could be going down the pan especially with all the recent layoffs. Lets hope Firefox can survive and strive after their reorganisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anybody enabled DNS over HTTPS in Firefox? If so which provider do you use? My ISP is Virgin Media, so would it make sense to use VM's own DNS if it's over HTTPS?

Soldato
Has anybody enabled DNS over HTTPS in Firefox? If so which provider do you use? My ISP is Virgin Media, so would it make sense to use VM's own DNS if it's over HTTPS?

I've been using encrypted DNS for years, so it was handy when Firefox implemented it. It's definitely worth doing, and you definitely don't want to use VM's DNS (not that they support DoH or DoT anyway). You'll also want to enable encrypted SNI for the full benefits.

I run my own encrypted DNS server (AdGuard Home) but you can use Quad9 or Cloudflare. For example, in about:config do:

network.security.esni.enabled (true)

Then in Preferences scroll down to General > Network Settings and click the Settings box. Tick 'Use DNS over HTTPS' and either choose Cloudflare in the Provider menu, or enter your own (https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query is decent and arguably a little more private).

With those settings you'll bypass any censorship of sites from VM and your site visits (if HTTPS and ESNI/Cloudflare based) will be invisible to anyone but you.

Soldato
I've been using encrypted DNS for years, so it was handy when Firefox implemented it. It's definitely worth doing, and you definitely don't want to use VM's DNS (not that they support DoH or DoT anyway). You'll also want to enable encrypted SNI for the full benefits.

I run my own encrypted DNS server (AdGuard Home) but you can use Quad9 or Cloudflare. For example, in about:config do:

network.security.esni.enabled (true)

Then in Preferences scroll down to General > Network Settings and click the Settings box. Tick 'Use DNS over HTTPS' and either choose Cloudflare in the Provider menu, or enter your own (https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query is decent and arguably a little more private).

With those settings you'll bypass any censorship of sites from VM and your site visits (if HTTPS and ESNI/Cloudflare based) will be invisible to anyone but you.
^ Follow those instructions.

I use cloudflare.
Thanks, have done enabled DNS-over-HTTPS and enabled encrypted SNI - will test to see if this breaks any sites.

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/ssl/encrypted-sni/ gives me the message "Your resolver does not appear to validate DNS responses with DNSSEC".

Soldato
Thanks, have done enabled DNS-over-HTTPS and enabled encrypted SNI - will test to see if this breaks any sites.

It's just DNS, nothing to do with the actual sites you visit. It won't break anything.

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/ssl/encrypted-sni/ gives me the message "Your resolver does not appear to validate DNS responses with DNSSEC".

What's your OS? This won't be a problem, try running the test again (it glitches sometimes). It's also worth going back to about:config and changing network.trr.mode to 3 which forces DoH all the time (no fallback to native DNS).

Soldato
OP

It doesn't break any sites at least I have never come across any that have broken. It's only encrypts the server name you are trying to connect too. If the site doesn't support ESNI I think it falls back to unencrypted.

I also set my local connection to use the cloudflare dns servers:

ipv4: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

ipv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111, 2606:4700:4700::1001

You should get 4 green ticks when it is set up correctly. Via the cloudflare esni checker site.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone wants to test my own encrypted ad and tracker blocking DNS resolver (DoH, DoT and dnscrypt with DNSSEC), drop me a trust with your IP address (so I can whitelist it) and I'll send you the details. I keep thinking about setting up a WireGuard VPN + private ad/tracker blocking DNS service with ad blocking for us forumers but I never get around to it.

Soldato
That got DNSSEC working for me, thanks.

If you have any issues with DoH suddenly dying, just turn it back to 2 and everything should still work fine now.

Edit: Now that you have it working, if you try to go to a website that VM have blocked it should work fine in Firefox. For example the bay of buccaneers, or the 1337 place.

Soldato
If you have any issues with DoH suddenly dying, just turn it back to 2 and everything should still work fine now.

Edit: Now that you have it working, if you try to go to a website that VM have blocked it should work fine in Firefox. For example the bay of buccaneers, or the 1337 place.
Just tried bay of buccaneers, works haha. I dont use that many sites for myself, use more for searching work related things (.net code stuff) but no social media type stuff.

Soldato
I know this is the Windows forum but I've setup DNS over HTTPS and encrypted SNI on Firefox for Android (Beta). Obviously Firefox for Android doesn't have as comprehensive UI for options, so I've set everything up via about:config as per the guidance here.

The cloudflare site gives me four green ticks but those aforementioned sites are still blocked By ISP (Sky). Don't get me wrong, I have no interest in those sites and I'm more wondering if the setup is definitely working?

Soldato
I know this is the Windows forum but I've setup DNS over HTTPS and encrypted SNI on Firefox for Android (Beta). Obviously Firefox for Android doesn't have as comprehensive UI for options, so I've set everything up via about:config as per the guidance here.

The cloudflare site gives me four green ticks but those aforementioned sites are still blocked By ISP (Sky). Don't get me wrong, I have no interest in those sites and I'm more wondering if the setup is definitely working?

Have you changed your DNS servers on your phone too or left them on default?

Soldato
So was any one else been able to replicate the issue I have with this site?

It annoys me that Firefox complains about a slow running script whilst the chromium based browser had no trouble at all.

That site is nasty. I have uBO running in 'hard mode'. After allowing JS and remote fonts, and greylisting (noop) 3rd party and 3rd party scripts (leaving 3p frames blacklisted) the page loads perfectly, scrolls nicely and I had no issues at all. That's on a 2012 MacBook Pro with a cruddy 1.5Ghz dual core mobile i5...

The uBO logger shows an absolute ream of blocked scripts from Google Tag Services, Ziff and so on though, and likely one of those is your culprit.

Back
Top Bottom