2020 Firework Display at home

Soldato
I am not allowed to even discuss fireworks any more. On Milllennium New Year's Eve 2000 I came home just slightly inebriated and attempted a firework display in the garden. I don't remember anything from the time apart from a lot of noise, but the next day there were four large craters in the grass (I'd put those huge rocket things in upside down), one fence panel destroyed, one burnt conifer, and scorch marks on the patio where I'd apparently lit this dodgy firework frog thing I'd got from the market, mounted on a bird feeder table. It just started rocking side to wide, blew up twice, fell off the table and rolled around the floor on fire. Think there were about 20 odd fireworks in total, apparently of which none actually ended up in the sky.

I wasn't too popular for a while, I don't even remember any of it. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I have a mini display in my garden every year for my kids. This year will probably be the first year we don't because my kids are too old to be interested now. I'll see if they feel like it. I typically buy from Tesco / Sainsbury's etc but that's getting hard now and I need to buy online or from a local firework shop.

Make sure you prepare some level ground. I use a flat board on my lawn. Always use the proper lighting stick, never a match or lighter. Stay well back after lighting it. Never return to a failed firework. For particularly large fireworks I put a brick on each side to stop it falling over. I do this after my one near-miss when it fell over while lit. Use a battery torch to see. Keep everyone well back.

One time I bought fireworks much too powerful for the garden. Oops. It was a good display though.

Soldato
I am not allowed to even discuss fireworks any more. On Milllennium New Year's Eve 2000 I came home just slightly inebriated and attempted a firework display in the garden. I don't remember anything from the time apart from a lot of noise, but the next day there were four large craters in the grass (I'd put those huge rocket things in upside down), one fence panel destroyed, one burnt conifer, and scorch marks on the patio where I'd apparently lit this dodgy firework frog thing I'd got from the market, mounted on a bird feeder table. It just started rocking side to wide, blew up twice, fell off the table and rolled around the floor on fire. Think there were about 20 odd fireworks in total, apparently of which none actually ended up in the sky.

Now that's the kind of display I wouldn't mind paying to see. :D

Associate
I can't remember the last time we did fireworks at home. Probably when we got the dog, she's terrified of the things.

Also living in Plymouth means that on top of November 5th we also get the annual British Firework Championships so that's plenty enough booms for one year

Never understood the scared pets thing, what do they do during Thunderstorms ?
The exact same thing as during firework displays
Climbs to the highest point in the house (my room), manages to bash her way through a reinforced fire door, and climb into my lap while I'm at my desk despite her being a medium sized dog, hurting me and potentially trashing my leather chair

Last edited:
Associate
I was planning on doing a small display for my kids this year in the garden but my garden is small. I guess I could light them and get the kids to look through the kitchen doors but doesn't seem as good.

Associate
I don't understand why people say it's such a terrible thing when thunderstorms are completely natural and are generally worse than a few fireworks once a year

A lion eating you would be completely natural too, that wouldn't stop it being utterly terrifying and generally best avoided.

Soldato
OP

That is gold :D

Soldato
I don't understand why people say it's such a terrible thing when thunderstorms are completely natural and are generally worse than a few fireworks once a year

Thunderstorms can’t be avoided. Being a **** and firing up rockets in the sky can be. Terrifying almost every other animal, annoying neighbours and idiots risking limbs all just so people can go “ooh..... aah” is a dick move.

Unrealistic that they’d get banned outright but I really hope they get heavily restricted for licensed shows only.

Soldato
Thunderstorms can’t be avoided. Being a **** and firing up rockets in the sky can be. Terrifying almost every other animal, annoying neighbours and idiots risking limbs all just so people can go “ooh..... aah” is a dick move.

Unrealistic that they’d get banned outright but I really hope they get heavily restricted for licensed shows only.

Compared to things humans do to actually damage nature & wildlife, fireworks are pretty low on that list, but I guess it only matters when your pet is scared right?

Soldato
Compared to things humans do to actually damage nature & wildlife, fireworks are pretty low on that list, but I guess it only matters when your pet is scared right?
No I hate amateur fireworks and my cat will sit in the window watching them.
I guess I've you've actually seen a decent display, watching a bloke down the street set off a tiny rocket every 10 minutes is a bit carp really and just seems really pointless.

Caporegime
Completely agree. We're bulldozing the Amazon 365 days of the year, and people get their knickers in a twist about some fireworks, on animal rights grounds?

Man of Honour
I'm actually kind of disappointed a lot of big events have been cancelled - if properly run outdoors and the logistics of getting people to and from such events without increasing infection spread are properly managed these kind of events should have minimal if any impact on the spread of the disease and IMO people need this. We need a top down national effort on this :s

Associate

Best firework story ever. Brillant :)

Soldato
Completely agree. We're bulldozing the Amazon 365 days of the year, and people get their knickers in a twist about some fireworks, on animal rights grounds?

Ah the classic 'look at them' distraction techniques to avoid looking at your own shortcomings. So because Brazilians are destroying the amazon that gives us free rein to pollute the environment with silly little fireworks and at the same time petrify a bunch of animals. Gotcha.

Back
Top Bottom