• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Doesn't matter if its digital or physical the TOS are the same I'm afraid. Ever since you had to install the game onto a hard disc the delivery method to the disc is largely irrelevant - the only difference is with the disc the disc has to be in the drive to play it because that is the authentication method. This isn't required with digital because it authenticated when you downloaded it.
I'm all digital but Sony having control over my game library is a legitimate concern, and I believe a significant downside to buying digital. Lets say that your account gets hacked and someone buys a bunch of games, or your kid somehow manages to spend a load of money on microtransactions without your permission. Normally you would be protected by your bank or credit card provider who can reverse the transactions, but doing so breaks Sony's T&C's. Sony are absolute c**** when it comes to chargebacks and will hold your entire account including your digital game library hostage until you repay the debt, regardless of whether you authorized the transactions or not. If you bought physical games then you would still have access to your game library if you choose not to repay the debt to get your account back.

Soldato
I'm all digital but Sony having control over my game library is a legitimate concern, and I believe a significant downside to buying digital. Lets say that your account gets hacked and someone buys a bunch of games, or your kid somehow manages to spend a load of money on microtransactions without your permission. Normally you would be protected by your bank or credit card provider who can reverse the transactions, but doing so breaks Sony's T&C's. Sony are absolute c**** when it comes to chargebacks and will hold your entire account including your digital game library hostage until you repay the debt, regardless of whether you authorized the transactions or not. If you bought physical games then you would still have access to your game library if you choose not to repay the debt to get your account back.

These risks can be mostly mitigated by using 2fa and a complex password, removing saved payment information from your account and enabling password required for purchases. Clearly dont divulge the password to your kids - they shouldn't need it day to day.

Sony actually recommend that children should have their own sub-accounts and these should be controlled using family management settings in the primary account with content control, spend limits and game time limits.

As an aside, I have read of people who have successfully recovered their accounts following suspicious activity. Sony likely have the ability to track IP addresses of log ins so should be easily able to deduce fraudulent use.

Soldato
These risks can be mostly mitigated by using 2fa and a complex password, removing saved payment information from your account and enabling password required for purchases. Clearly dont divulge the password to your kids - they shouldn't need it day to day.

Sony actually recommend that children should have their own sub-accounts and these should be controlled using family management settings in the primary account with content control, spend limits and game time limits.

As an aside, I have read of people who have successfully recovered their accounts following suspicious activity. Sony likely have the ability to track IP addresses of log ins so should be easily able to deduce fraudulent use.

I am an example of this. Was totally my fault, didn't have 2fa on an I changed my password back to what it was when Sony had the hack, I thought it was safe as it was a few years after. One night I got a PSN email saying I downloaded some Ps+ game, I thought nothing of it as I assumed maybe it was an error and carried on. The following morning I started getting paypal notifications, Destiny 2, and other game, it was at about £150 spent before I managed to get on my PC and stop it via unlinking PP. Oddly they didn't change my PSN password but they did deactivate the console as primary. I initiated chargeback from Paypal and my PSN account got suspended.
I phoned Sony to explain what happened and answered some security questions, I then explained the issue and he took it all down and said they will investigate. About 10 days later I got an email to say my account was unsuspended and they'd found illegitimate activity on my account but wouldn't divulge any details. I changed my password, enabled 2fa and never had an issue since. The games that were 'purchased' showed in my library as if they were available but if I clicked them it would take you to the store.

Soldato
It's partly why I've created a brand new PSN ID so my PS4 purchases are "safe" as that account won't be used much, just to install games. My PS5 digital purchases will be on my new one. I hope it's not against the T&C to have multiple accounts! :D

Personally I think this is a bad idea, spreading your games around across multiple accounts doesn't make sense and doesn't really mitigate any risk either. It also means that if there are PS5 remasters/upgrades in the future that are offered at a discount, you're going to end up with stuff all over the place.

Soldato
I noticed shopto have some PS5 games a bit cheaper, AC-V is £70.85 for the gold edition which isn't bad considering it includes the season pass, standard is £47.99, same with Watchdogs.

Caporegime
Personally I think this is a bad idea, spreading your games around across multiple accounts doesn't make sense and doesn't really mitigate any risk either. It also means that if there are PS5 remasters/upgrades in the future that are offered at a discount, you're going to end up with stuff all over the place.

Yeah, that is a problem but for the third party games like The Witcher 3, I'd probably rebuy them on Xbox anyway. If the first party PS4 games get PS5 editions, then I'd likely rebuy them again on the new ID. Yes, I waste so much money it's untrue.

Soldato
Nice. I might make an account. That's a much better price than I've seen elsewhere.

Yes that's actually about the same I got the PS4 AC for gold edition. However it's cheaper on ebay with the code today at £67.99 the only thing that irks me is the company have increased the RRP even though they don't foot the bill for the voucher so it's not a great saving now.

Weird thing that bugged me when I got Ac:Ody gold was it gave me some legendary weapons as a bonus and they felt like cheating (not that i had to use them) but you could not delete them out of your inventory.

Soldato
Yes that's actually about the same I got the PS4 AC for gold edition. However it's cheaper on ebay with the code today at £67.99 the only thing that irks me is the company have increased the RRP even though they don't foot the bill for the voucher so it's not a great saving now.

Weird thing that bugged me when I got Ac:Ody gold was it gave me some legendary weapons as a bonus and they felt like cheating (not that i had to use them) but you could not delete them out of your inventory.
Playing through AC: Origins now and it's the same where I can't get rid of the bonus weapons.

Soldato
It's interesting how the 2 consoles have had vastly different pre-release information releases, a dripping tap vs a full torrent of water - I'm honestly not sure which one is best.

I am expecting a flood of videos, all with pretty much identical content at 12 though, if the information is correct.

Soldato
It's interesting how the 2 consoles have had vastly different pre-release information releases, a dripping tap vs a full torrent of water - I'm honestly not sure which one is best.

I am expecting a flood of videos, all with pretty much identical content at 12 though, if the information is correct.

In my experience of the information being released the way it has.

Microsoft blew their load pretty much all in one go way too early. We've now had way too many Xbox videos released across most the mainstream YouTube channels etc that I'm actually fed up of hearing about the Xbox. To the point, I don't care anymore.

Sony, drip feeding us information has kept me interested up until now, but its starting to become tiresome, again I'm getting fed up with it but for the opposite reasons. I'm sick and tired of waiting to have our questions answered. It's a few weeks away from launch in the US. Just let rip with all the info now, 2 weeks is plenty enough time for get the hype going.

Back
Top Bottom