Your most memorable moments in gaming

Soldato
  • Final Fantasy VII - opening sequence, the start of such a huge journey, one of the best stories ever brought to life in gaming.
  • RDR - Entry to Mexico, the setting, the music the atmosphere. everything lined up to make in my opinion, one of the greatest moments in gaming.
  • GTA - the original, I remember getting it for christmas from my uncle not too long after it was released, it was something completely different from what I'd ever experienced in gaming. I spent so many hours on it.
  • Resident Evil - I remember playing this with my Mum, we'd sit for hours taking turns to play through sections.
  • GTR – FIA GT Racing Game - My first proper introduction to real sim racing. I originally got the Demo from a magazine, Spa in the Lister Storm... Made Gran Turismo feel like a toy compared to the experience this gave. and started a love for Sim racing that I still have to this day, which leads me on to my next.
  • IRacing - My culmination of Sim racing over the years led me to this summer, my first 24Hr endurance race. A group of us from the Army decided to throw together a team and attempt the 24Hr of Spa. We were competitive and I had pushed us up as far as 7th at one point and still closing the gap to the leading pack. However through the night it didnt go quite as planned, we had a couple of bad incidents however, the car was still running at the end of the 24, we didnt give up and kept pushing till the end. My first 24 was something I'll never forget, a complete emotional rollercoaster and I cannot wait for the N24 next year!

• Bonus game - DoD Source - Theres no single moment that makes it memorable, but more of collection of memories from playing with my old team (EF/EFF/IR), great bunch of guys, we were pretty successful for a time, through a lot of time effort and practice, unfortunately with success comes stress and pressure to compete and it took its toll on the team. Still for that time it was probably one of most enjoyable multiplayer experiences, that rush when we won as a team is something I've found hard to replicate over the years.

Borrowing Unirally (SNES) from my mate and breaking every record so far beyond his reach that it ruined the game for him
Damn... I completely forgot about this game. I remember back in primary school, we got to play this whilst it was still in beta testing(I assume? as I remember them saying this isnt a finished product), it was still called uniracers at the time. One of our teachers got DMA designs to come round and talk to us and let us play it, I wish I remembered which of the team came to talk to us. I eventually got it when it was released, and loved the game, spent so much time on it.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a few more to add

• Devouring Myrkul in NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer
  • My first Uber Elder kill in Path of Exile (PP VD Juggernaut I think a league after the boss was added)
  • Crapping myself and smashing Alt + F4 the first time I got jumped in System Shock 2
  • Having to kill your mutated girlfriend in Prey (2006)
  • Finding Jackie Ma dead in Sleeping Dogs
  • Thinking "Wait, that's the end? You're kidding me?" in Tyranny
  • Getting gangbanged in the sewers in VtMB because you built for social skills

Soldato
  • Half Life 2 - I remember starting it and thinking this is something I've not seen/experienced before, just the look and the feel of it.
  • RDR - Entering Mexico, for me one of the greatest moments in gaming.
  • Doom 3 - Thought it looked absolutely mind blowing, totally different to everything i'd played to that point, my 9800Pro agreed.
  • FFVII - Still for me the greatest game ever made, high point was entering the Golden Saucer for the first time, the music, just everything about it made me feel like a kid again.
  • BF1942, BF3 - countless moments of "I can't believe that just happened".
  • Alien Isolation -Tried playing it in VR, i managed about 30 minutes before it all got to much, the first truly terrifying gaming experience i've had.

Man of Honour
Alien Isolation -Tried playing it in VR, i managed about 30 minutes before it all got to much, the first truly terrifying gaming experience i've had.

I can imagine this will be on several people's list - it is kind of ruined for me because having some games programming experience I understand how the AI director is "cheating" to create the illusion of a more intelligent AI than it really is and a lot of times when you should be able to trick the AI you can't because of the way it cheats.

(Funny game to watch people playing sometimes as well as there are times they think they are being clever but you just know the AI is going to come at them from another angle and the reaction is priceless).

Associate
Saving up for a 3D card (ATI Rage II) and then playing original Tomb Raider. When the T-rex appeared in the lost valley I was astonished and terrified. Still nothing give me chills like that.

Soldato
Half life 2 - Everything about it was amazing, the gun, game play and story, loved it
Alien Isolation - The atmosphere was phenomenal, truly hair raising and immersive
Spec Ops - The white phosphorus mission totally had me in shock, I wanted to go back and change my choice immediately
Batman Games - Immersive and beautiful with great game play, sucked me right in
Dead Island - Coop mostly, superb fun
Dying Light - Spent a lot of time in this game, story, characters, weapons and mods, kept me coming back for more

Half life, the full game.
When I first fired up TFC, my first online fps experience, couldn't quite believe I was playing with real people.
Same thing with counter strike beta, still fire it up occasionally more than 20 years later.
Half life 2, the full game.
Homeworld

Soldato
Trying to think of moments rather than whole games, it strikes me that most of them come from the first few years I had a gaming PC:

• Half-Life - the tram ride opening. I'd not seen a 3D FPS before, and I loaded this up not really knowing what it was (gift from a friend along with the old PC I bought from him). Totally blew me away that this is what games could do.
  • Counter-Strike - the first time everything in a match just clicked for me and I topped the leaderboard with no deaths. It felt so great.
  • Deus Ex - hard to think of a single moment, but I do remember getting to Hong Kong one evening and realising the next day I'd been dreaming about the game, such was the grip it had on me.
  • System Shock 2 - I am Shodan!
  • Morrowind - just being dumped in this world and wondering what on Earth was going on.
  • Fallout 3 - leaving the vault and seeing the wasteland spread in front of you. The whole game wasn't exactly mind-blowing, but this moment was amazing.
  • Dark Souls - the Asylum Demon, the first black knight, the first that first time I realised I was actually scared to go around the next corner, the time I unkowningly ran into Havel, the frustration of my tenth or twelth run through Sen's fortress, Ornstein and Smough, Anor Londo. So many moments in this one!
  • RDR2 - that moment [no spoilers] you're galloping away, with that melancholic guitar music playing, and it really felt like the world was spinning around this unravelling character.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Pubg - The first solo chicken dinner
Pubg - Saving the day by being a snake and headshotting a entire team while they took out the rest of my good for nothing OcUK teammates :)

Thats the most recent their has been many.

Soldato
I loved so many games on the Spectrum, but after many years on it, I got an Amiga A500 and loaded up Shadow Of The Beast 2. The graphics absolutely blew me away.

Later on that week, I got Xenon 2: Megablast. The soundtrack literally stunned me, I had no idea anything could sound that realistic.

More recent times, Crysis - the water dripping down your visor when you first emerge from the sea.

Batman Arkham Asylum - the system 'crash' still chills my blood every time I get to the section.

Soldato
I can imagine this will be on several people's list - it is kind of ruined for me because having some games programming experience I understand how the AI director is "cheating" to create the illusion of a more intelligent AI than it really is and a lot of times when you should be able to trick the AI you can't because of the way it cheats.

(Funny game to watch people playing sometimes as well as there are times they think they are being clever but you just know the AI is going to come at them from another angle and the reaction is priceless).

Haha yeah some of the clips online of people playing are hilarious! I think for me it was just the whole atmosphere the game created, the sounds etc, was just way to much for me especially in VR, the last Aliens game i played was on the Sega Saturn and that did me in too.

Soldato
Damn... I completely forgot about this game. I remember back in primary school, we got to play this whilst it was still in beta testing(I assume? as I remember them saying this isnt a finished product), it was still called uniracers at the time. One of our teachers got DMA designs to come round and talk to us and let us play it, I wish I remembered which of the team came to talk to us. I eventually got it when it was released, and loved the game, spent so much time on it.
That sounds awesome!

Interestingly, the game was only on sale fairly briefly due to a copyright claim by Pixar (iirc) over the design of the bikes. Pretty spurious claim, imo, but such is copyright law.

Soldato
Monkey Island - took 10 year old me so long to get off Melee island - when I did it was like :O
L4D - playing online as a team with friends - never laughed so much playing a game
STALKER - that monolith voice when you enter the power plant and then see the wish granter as you climb out of the core
Rainbow 6 Siege - some amazing strategies / team play before it all got too complicated
PUBG - first chicken dinners were delicious
Dark Forces II : Jedi Knight - those FMV cutscenes were the first star wars live action id seen since ROTJ came out, mind blowing now with so much content about now
KOTOR - so much starwarsyness amazing
omg I'm Revan!
Return of the Obra Dinn -
the squid and the crab riders OMG!

Caporegime
Good) The first time I docked with a space station in Elite on the BBC.
Bad) Finding out the UFO mission in AC3 was glitched, would never be fixed, and I couldn't obtain 100% without starting from scratch. I was at 99% at the time. I think I downloaded someone else's save game and haven't touched a Ubisoft game since.

Soldato
Amiga gaming in general from about the age of 7.
First memories being Project 1. So many good games, memories and music on the Amiga 500. Getting exited as a child buying big box games that came with posters, tshirts and anti piracy devices. Thinking Zool with its spinning wheel device that you had to put it a code to start playing the game
The games had a certain quality (emotion / atmosphere) that is lacking today. Either that or I was a kid so felt different. I still get goosebumps though watching longplay videos and intro of some games like Alien Breed tower assault, Death mask, Horror zombies from the crypt and Shadow of the beast series

Doom - First playing Doom on my aunties PC in the early 90s when I was 9. This put the Amiga to shame in terms of '3d' performance.

Redalert - The first (I would say) good RTS game I played as didnt get into Starcraft until a few years later

Unreal - Being blown away at first seeing 3dfx and Sound blaster Awe32 audio on big screen and big speakers (friends dads PC)

MOHAA - First proper online FPS I played mainly with housemates joining the same lobbys

BF2 - The first game that required proper communication and teamwork. Many hours spent on BF2 as part of an online clan '50 klicks'

Minecraft - Love hate relationship with this game. Plaing on a whitelisted server with a role of the diamond / gems collector. Got addicted and one night ended up spending 8 hours in caves mining. I realised it was an hour before I had to get up for work so uninstalled it and didnt play again until recently. Gave it a try and was still addictive so got rid again :D

COD MW - First crossplay game, playing with mates on their consoles i've not spoken to for 15-20 years during Covid 19 lockdowns. We are now arranging a night out post Covid

Associate
Pro Evo - Scoring an unbelievable goal in Pro Evolution Soccer with my master league team against a friend. I had Igor Biscan in midfield and he scored a 40 yard volley. My friends and I used to save our best goals and this one was never topped.

Delta Force Joint Operations - 75 vs 75 warfare. A random and I decided to storm a bridge in a jeep, me driving and him gunning. We take out about 12 people and he gets shot and his body ends up on the jeep. I manage to drive him to safety, revive him and then we went back on the attack.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - Spent ages sending out my assassins on missions. The end mission I called them all in and it was just awesome.

Back
Top Bottom