2020 Firework Display at home

Associate
I am not allowed to even discuss fireworks any more. On Milllennium New Year's Eve 2000 I came home just slightly inebriated and attempted a firework display in the garden. I don't remember anything from the time apart from a lot of noise, but the next day there were four large craters in the grass (I'd put those huge rocket things in upside down), one fence panel destroyed, one burnt conifer, and scorch marks on the patio where I'd apparently lit this dodgy firework frog thing I'd got from the market, mounted on a bird feeder table. It just started rocking side to wide, blew up twice, fell off the table and rolled around the floor on fire. Think there were about 20 odd fireworks in total, apparently of which none actually ended up in the sky.

I wasn't too popular for a while, I don't even remember any of it. :rolleyes:

Id definitely pay to see one of your displays.

Associate
Ah the classic 'look at them' distraction techniques to avoid looking at your own shortcomings. So because Brazilians are destroying the amazon that gives us free rein to pollute the environment with silly little fireworks and at the same time petrify a bunch of animals. Gotcha.

My dog was absolutely fine with fireworks. Sounds like your cat loves them as well. Do you really want a moody cat looking at you when there's no fireworks going off.

Soldato
My dogs won't do their business when there's fireworks going off. This culminated in **** all over the place last year after I spent 2 hours walking, then a further 1 in the cold garden with them - at that point I had to go do a night shift and couldn't get back for 4 hours on my break. I'll be firing **** rockets over the neighbours fences this year in response if they take the mick again. One night is fine, but a WHOLE MONTH OF IT?

Soldato
I don't understand why people say it's such a terrible thing when thunderstorms are completely natural and are generally worse than a few fireworks once a year

A few fireworks once a year? You obviously don't live in Liverpool where firework season has already started and will carry on for most of November. One of our neighbours was letting loads off on Sunday night for some unknown reason. Our two cats and dog are terrified. Last year one smashed the sun roof on the missus's car as well! The sooner they are banned for general sale the better.

Capodecina
Soldato
I am not allowed to even discuss fireworks any more. On Milllennium New Year's Eve 2000 I came home just slightly inebriated and attempted a firework display in the garden. I don't remember anything from the time apart from a lot of noise, but the next day there were four large craters in the grass (I'd put those huge rocket things in upside down), one fence panel destroyed, one burnt conifer, and scorch marks on the patio where I'd apparently lit this dodgy firework frog thing I'd got from the market, mounted on a bird feeder table. It just started rocking side to wide, blew up twice, fell off the table and rolled around the floor on fire. Think there were about 20 odd fireworks in total, apparently of which none actually ended up in the sky.

I wasn't too popular for a while, I don't even remember any of it. :rolleyes:

To be honest it was worth it for the story.

I don't if we'll be doing anything for fireworks this year. May get a small garden box since we have quite large private grounds out the front of our block.

My mum lives in Lewes which has the largest firework displays in the country. They've all been cancelled so I bet she's pleased. I used to love them but they've got rather tiresome now.

Caporegime
My dogs won't do their business when there's fireworks going off. This culminated in **** all over the place last year after I spent 2 hours walking, then a further 1 in the cold garden with them - at that point I had to go do a night shift and couldn't get back for 4 hours on my break. I'll be firing **** rockets over the neighbours fences this year in response if they take the mick again. One night is fine, but a WHOLE MONTH OF IT?

I'm lucky as my Lab gets riled up rather than scared, we consciously taught her to "get them" (chase they away) when she was younger - She's a gun dog which might help?

We have a Vizsla puppy at the moment and so far the odd firework going off hasn't bothered her either. I guess we'll see in the next week or so if she is bothered.

Have you tried Adaptil when it's fireworks time? Plug it in the room they are in.

Soldato
We have a Vizsla puppy at the moment and so far the odd firework going off hasn't bothered her either. I guess we'll see in the next week or so if she is bothered.

Our Collie is 5 and he wasn't bothered about fireworks until last year, however last year was the worst I remember it as it was constant for days. Now he goes and hides when he hears them going off.

Soldato
Ah the classic 'look at them' distraction techniques to avoid looking at your own shortcomings. So because Brazilians are destroying the amazon that gives us free rein to pollute the environment with silly little fireworks and at the same time petrify a bunch of animals. Gotcha.

Actually it's more that concern for wildlife & nature re: fireworks is ******** and it's just a cover for the real reason that it's merely an annoyance to people and their pets because the actual environmental damage from fireworks is probably much less than their genuine concern for the environment (which isn't a whole lot)

Caporegime
I'm opposite. We played with some fireworks at uni. Put a rocket in a wellie boot. Stood in a circle. The boot spins round and the rocket fires out randomly.. Such idot. Much wow
I remember some people shooting fireworks at each other when I was younger.

like a fireworks fight with rockets and a piece of drain pipe

Soldato
We were no angels with fireworks either. It never involved traffic or other people but we got up to all sorts with them on the beach and in the woods. It's a miracle that no-one was badly hurt.

It's a good job my father never found out or I'd have been launched into space. :D

Soldato
Actually it's more that concern for wildlife & nature re: fireworks is ******** and it's just a cover for the real reason that it's merely an annoyance to people and their pets because the actual environmental damage from fireworks is probably much less than their genuine concern for the environment (which isn't a whole lot)

But...that's an assertion that you've come up with...

Thunderstorms can’t be avoided. Being a **** and firing up rockets in the sky can be. Terrifying almost every other animal, annoying neighbours and idiots risking limbs all just so people can go “ooh..... aah” is a dick move.

Unrealistic that they’d get banned outright but I really hope they get heavily restricted for licensed shows only.

Compared to things humans do to actually damage nature & wildlife, fireworks are pretty low on that list, but I guess it only matters when your pet is scared right?

No one is attacking the use of fireworks based on some noble ideal about "concern for nature and wildlife". It's just about having a bit of neighbourly consideration by not chucking explosives into the air in urban areas at random times. No one has claimed that's it's anything more than an annoyance - you're the only one who has claimed that they have said that.

Yes, thunderstorms are also annoying for those with animals or very young children, but there's nothing that can be done about that. There is something that can be done about the neighbour with a garden full of fireworks, by asking him to be a bit more considerate about when he chooses to let them off.

Yet somehow, suggesting that having a bit of consideration for others is now being seen as hypocritical and "getting your knickers in a twist", just because there's a country on the other side of the planet deforesting the Amazon.

Soldato
No one is attacking the use of fireworks based on some noble ideal about "concern for nature and wildlife".

Terrifying almost every other animal

Orly.... you even quoted it yourself

If you're going to be the fun police, just be honest about why you don't want others having fun, because it annoys YOU, not a ******** form of altruism that doesn't actually exist and is only used so you don't want to look like a fun hating dick yourself

Soldato
I don't understand why people say it's such a terrible thing when thunderstorms are completely natural and are generally worse than a few fireworks once a year

You must live a very sheltered life if you think it's just a few, and once a year. Round here they start* in the middle of October and finish* around the middle of November. Got no problems at all with displays etc on the 5th and the weekends before/after, but after the first few times of getting woken up by some inbred **** who thinks it's appropriate to set off a random explosion in the middle of a residential area at 3am, you start to get a bit fed up with it.

* if only. There are always the odd ones going off here and there, but it's every single night at this time of year.

Soldato
just be honest about why you don't want others having fun

Why are you making things up? Please do quote the people who 'want to stop the fun'? Its really not hard to understand why people dislike fireworks because of the real harm they cause to animals. If it was one night per year then fine, but it isnt. Oh and your thunderstorms argument is just plain stupid.

Soldato
Orly.... you even quoted it yourself

If you're going to be the fun police, just be honest about why you don't want others having fun, because it annoys YOU, not a ******** form of altruism that doesn't actually exist and is only used so you don't want to look like a fun hating dick yourself

It was clearly obvious that they were talking primarily about their own domestic pets and the annoyance scaring them could cause, not taking a stance about the wildlife of the planet at a whole.

Also, check out the guy who's opening gambit to this thread was "Just get some Strobe rockets to scare the **** out of your area", calling other people dicks. Not sure why I should have expected any sort of appeal to be considerate to others to be worth it.

But anyway - so if someone asked you not to use fireworks simply because it annoyed them (not their animals), would you stop? Why is that not a good enough reason on it's own?
I presume that if a neighbour asked you to turn your loud music down for the same reason you'd comply (unless you were some knuckle dragging moron) rather than calling them "fun hating dicks", so why should it be any different with throwing explosives in the air?

Oh, and you can wind your neck in with the "fun police" nonsense. I don't particularly care, personally. Fireworks don't bother my dogs, nor me particularly, but I can empathise with, and understand those it does.

Last edited:
Soldato
the real harm they cause to animals

lol okay

Plastics, oil and construction destroying eco systems and habitats, countless numbers of wildlife killed from people driving cars, literal death camps for animals to put food on our plates

But making some loud noises of a night is the real issue ?

**** off

But anyway - so if someone asked you not to use fireworks simply because it annoyed them (not their animals), would you stop? Why is that not a good enough reason on it's own?

There's plenty of things that people do that annoy me, I don't go around telling them to be less annoying because I'm not arrogant enough to think I have a right to not be annoyed by them, seriously who the **** complains about people letting off fireworks on bonfire night ?

Soldato
There's plenty of things that people do that annoy me, I don't go around telling them to be less annoying because I'm not arrogant enough to think I have a right to not be annoyed by them, seriously who the **** complains about people letting off fireworks on bonfire night ?

But generally, it's not "letting them off on bonfire night" which is the problem. If it was just one night, it would be expected and easier to mitigate. But as other's have pointed out, there seems to be a trend for people to let off fireworks on random evenings leading up to, and following, bonfire night - that's what's irritating for those with flighty animals, or with young children.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Which, ironically, is something such a fervent fireworks enthusiastic should really not be doing.

Back
Top Bottom