Motivation

Associate
Your failure to understand the difference between an analogy and a literal (not to mention an inability to understand that simple analogy in the first place) tells me you are probably not the sort of person to be debating with on this, or any other topic.

Good luck.
I fully understand the analogy. It's just a weak one because it reeks of entitlement and isn't by any stretch of the imagination "awful". An analogy is meant to you know, be analogous. Awful would be wanting the lobster and your wife tells you she shagged your brother

Last edited:
Soldato
Your failure to understand the difference between an analogy and a literal (not to mention an inability to understand that simple analogy in the first place) tells me you are probably not the sort of person to be debating with on this, or any other topic.

Good luck.

Tell us about how your life is so great then..

Soldato
I don't think that's the case at all.

Not enjoying life does not equal automatic suicide. Most people have itsy bitsy moments of joy sandwiched by an ocean of **** :p

I think that's normal. We just get on with it.

The question the OP asked is why we carry on with our pointless existences. Ultimately I think we're all living completely pointless existences. Don't you?

70 odd year and that.. zzzap, game over. No matter what you do, how rich you become, whether you're a great person or a ****bag, you shuffle off this mortal coil and eventually you're forgotten.

And during that 70 odd years most people work in jobs they don't really enjoy, to buy stuff they don't really want, and have kids to perpetuate the cycle of pointlessness.

It's not depression it's just cold hard reality.

You sound so unfulfilled. I don't feel like this at all. I have some down moments but my moments of joy far outweigh anything else by a huge magnitude. If they didn't, I'd change something in my life to make sure they did.

I feel really sorry for you if that's your outlook on life and think you should really look at what makes you happy and do something with that. That doesn't have to be work related, we don't have to be defined by our careers, but just do what makes you happy. It certainly doesn't sound like you are in any way happy and your general tone is always one of pessimism and so rarely something positive.

Man of Honour
Tell us about how your life is so great then..
Sure.

I have a close group of friends, some hobbies which I love, I have travelled the world, I've seen and experienced many amazing things, I have a fantastic fiancée, a career which rewards me, motivates me, and allows me to develop others.

Of course things could always be better, and of course I get days where I'm not in the mood, but better I have a good life and I'm determined to make the best of it rather than wallowing in any negativity which may occur.

Man of Honour
You sound so unfulfilled. I don't feel like this at all. I have some down moments but my moments of joy far outweigh anything else by a huge magnitude. If they didn't, I'd change something in my life to make sure they did.

I feel really sorry for you if that's your outlook on life and think you should really look at what makes you happy and do something with that. That doesn't have to be work related, we don't have to be defined by our careers, but just do what makes you happy. It certainly doesn't sound like you are in any way happy and your general tone is always one of pessimism and so rarely something positive.
Same for me - I just cannot identify with any of those feelings.

I've had periods - particularly in work - where I've felt unfulfilled or downtrodden. When that happens I do something to change it.
I have a little formula for work called my Triangle of Satisfaction, comprising of the three elements that are most important for me in my job. I can tolerate one being permanently lower, and I will put up with two being lower temporarily.
If there's any sign of that temporary nature becoming long term, or if the third element slips, then it's time to do something else.

Man of Honour
I fully understand the analogy. It's just a weak one because it reeks of entitlement and isn't by any stretch of the imagination "awful". An analogy is meant to you know, be analogous. Awful would be wanting the lobster and your wife tells you she shagged your brother
Your bitterness is almost oozing out of you isn't it? Substitute lobster with cookies if it makes you feel better about it, I was sat near a fishing harbour at the time which is why lobster popped into my head.

If you think I'm entitled then you really really don't know me at all.

Soldato
Sure.

I have a close group of friends, some hobbies which I love, I have travelled the world, I've seen and experienced many amazing things, I have a fantastic fiancée, a career which rewards me, motivates me, and allows me to develop others.

Of course things could always be better, and of course I get days where I'm not in the mood, but better I have a good life and I'm determined to make the best of it rather than wallowing in any negativity which may occur.

nice :)

I’ve recently taken up guitar and have set myself some goals so thats my current motivation at the moment.

Soldato
I think life in general is a bit of a grind. Unless you are very lucky, not many people have a job they genuinely love. We all work to earn money to pay the bills at the end of the day. With what's left over you can enjoy yourself a little. I'm pretty happy overall, I have a decent job, great partner, nice house, nice car, nice things, good family and friends. But am I really motivated? Probably not.

Capodecina
Soldato
What a strange topic this has turned into. A few weird and somewhat unconvincing opinions which seem hardly original. Maybe people started taking out their frustrations in this thread.

Interesting topic nonetheless. When the alarm went off this morning I thought, "ugh, not again", but things aren't that bad. What keeps me going? My uni work and gaming.

Associate
Your bitterness is almost oozing out of you isn't it? Substitute lobster with cookies if it makes you feel better about it, I was sat near a fishing harbour at the time which is why lobster popped into my head.

If you think I'm entitled then you really really don't know me at all.
God forbid I ooze a smidge of bitterness when a stranger deigns to tell me my life is ***** because it has a few miniscule differences from theirs.

Associate
I think @Lopéz saying that @Frubeling has an awful life is a bit strong of a word to use and thus insensitive.
I don't particularly mind insensitivity. I'm autistic as hell and somewhat prone to accidental bouts of it myself

It's just when I know people who have killed themselves, people who sleep rough, people disowned by their families for being gay, people addicted to smack and this that and the other it's kind of astounding to see someone whose metric for quality of life bottoms out at such a point

Soldato
I am kinda jealous that Frubeling is still able to live at home with his parents. I got kicked out when my parents moved to NZ when I was 21, they came back for a few years then moved really far away in the UK so I ended up having to sort my own life out. It helped me a lot but I think I would still prefer to be at home ;)

Associate
I am kinda jealous that Frubeling is still able to live at home with his parents. I got kicked out when my parents moved to NZ when I was 21, they came back for a few years then moved really far away in the UK so I ended up having to sort my own life out. It helped me a lot but I think I would still prefer to be at home ;)
I do pay them for the privilege of living here, I'm not a cheapskate. That said it's still only in the region of £400 a month out of my pocket + my PIP payments and includes all the utilities, food and whatnot
It does wonders for saving money. Just as soon as I stop messing about doing stupid things like dropping a grand on Hi-Fi equipment here, £1800 on computer parts there and £200 on records in one day I think I could probably get together a good 10k for a mortgage on a nice flat within a year or two. Or I could just live here forever and inherit the house :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I would always encourage people to save. It sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to make some head way with your savings in your current situation. If all you see is £££ when you look at your bank balance and that causes you to spend, maybe set up a regular payment to a savings account, ideally not at the same bank so you can't easily see the balance increasing and tempting you to spend ;)

Back
Top Bottom