Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Looking at the recent dashboard and UI video, I noticed when he plugs in the SSD the available space goes from 248mb to 1tb. So either the available space readout doesn't show decimals of TB or the memory sticks don't give a genuine 1tb extra space and only 750mb. Is that the same on current gen when you have over a TB of space?

248 + 920 (max space on SSD cart) = 1168 MB or 1.14TB but there were extra games installed on the cart which then appeared in the Game Library as they weren't there initially. I think Fusion Frenzy was one of them.

That's the best thing I saw in that video, that you just plug the cart in, the library updates automatically and you're good to go.

Man of Honour
You can normally pick up decent ssd deals on black Friday id wait until then.

I wouldn't waste money for a top spec sata ssd either as whichever drive you get will be fine for a USB caddy as it'll be limited by the USB 3.1 speed.

I don't know of any SSD where the 10Gbps throughput of USB 3.1 is the limiting factor. The limiting factor is likely to be the caddy electronics or the bus speed of the console.

Looking at the recent dashboard and UI video, I noticed when he plugs in the SSD the available space goes from 248mb to 1tb. So either the available space readout doesn't show decimals of TB or the memory sticks don't give a genuine 1tb extra space and only 750mb. Is that the same on current gen when you have over a TB of space?

248 + 920 (max space on SSD cart) = 1168 MB or 1.14TB but there were extra games installed on the cart which then appeared in the Game Library as they weren't there initially. I think Fusion Frenzy was one of them.

That's the best thing I saw in that video, that you just plug the cart in, the library updates automatically and you're good to go.

You both are messing with my head using mb instead of GB.

Soldato

We don't know for sure that the card inserted was empty. It looked like it had stuff on it, as posted above already. Also, new drives at 1TB don't actually have exactly 1TB storage free. It's usually more like 930GB once formatted so factor that in too.

But I think that in this instance there were already a number of games on the drive, hence the low space. I really love how fast it detected and updated. None of this taking the console apart nonsense. Truly awful idea from Sony.

Associate
vpavic_4261_20201026_0176.0.jpg

Caporegime
I think the series S/X are using slower 5Gbps USB-A ports (might be gen1). The fastest SATA3 SSDs will be slightly bottlenecked after taking into account overheads and caddy specs etc.

USB 3.1 gen 1 = 5Gbps
SATA3 = 6Gbps

Would probably be a waste of money connecting an nvme drive and caddy but most mid end SATA3 SSDs would be sufficient to use all the available bandwidth.

rp2000

Soldato
The Series S would look better if the fan grill was white.

Can only think that they did that to ensure it's visually distinct from One S.

On the upside, it's not likely to be seen in most set-ups. How many people will buy an S and then stand it up like that? For most, it'll be on a shelf, probably under the TV.

Soldato
Is it me or did anyone else struggle to see any real differences between the UI shown and the current xbox UI? :p

I kinda feel like a lot of the excitement has been taken out of this console launch. I'm going to open it up on launch day, turn it on and ohhhhhhh it looks the same. Ah let's play some games, oh I've already played them :o:p

I miss the days of PS1 where it was like OMG this is amazing

Man of Honour
Is it me or did anyone else struggle to see any real differences between the UI shown and the current xbox UI? :p

I kinda feel like a lot of the excitement has been taken out of this console launch. I'm going to open it up on launch day, turn it on and ohhhhhhh it looks the same. Ah let's play some games, oh I've already played them :o:p

It does all feel very "incremental" rather than a true next generation launch to be honest

Man of Honour

They update the Xbox dash extensively recently, and with Microsoft moving away from console generations this is the norm now.

Soldato

It's the same dash on One and Series. It's a bit snappier on X/S due to SSD but tbh it runs well on X now...

Soldato
well 2 weeks to go, I'm looking forward to a new console, while im expecting a incremental upgrade over my current one X I have just finished moving all my games to External drives and Im picking which ones will have the privilege of going on that super fast SSD.

Many games like Modern warfare, while i would love to have it on there I just dont see the point, im going to be limited by everyone else loading in, so apart from enhanced games i cant see me moving most MP games to that drive.

Games with killer load times however, Forza 7, Witcher 3 will probably get some time on that drive until space becomes a premium.

Destiny 2, getting its expansion will probably get some time on there, though i usually fall out with destiny pretty quickly, does anyone know how Destiny 2 is enhanced for series X and is it from the launch of beyond light? I hadn't touched it in years till the expansions came to gamepass and I powered through them to play the new stuff on release.

Back
Top Bottom