CCTV HDMI output via ethernet switch

Associate
Hopefully someone can advise on sending HMDI signal via an ethernet switch.

Current setup is as follow:
House is networked with most rooms having 2xCAT6 plates that go into the loft where there is a Netgear JGS524 24 port switch
Broadband Router can plug into any room port or the switch to provide internet connectivity throughout.

What I'd like to do:
Setup our CCTV system and split the HDMI signal from the NVR to allow viewing to 4 different room TVs using the Netgear switch we have.

Is there a way to get the CCTV NVR output signal into the Netgear switch, then use the switch to send the signal via any room ethernet plates?

Online on Aliexpress I saw this which basically shows a diagram of what I want to do:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828656490.html

Not sure what exactly I should be buying as can't see something similar on Amazon for example...

Would the above setup like from Aliexpress even work?

Could anyone direct me to some hardware that might work?

Thanks!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
What was linked on Aliexpress will work, just don't expect to necessarily be able to use the same cables and switch for normal LAN data.

HDMI over IP sender-receiver kits are easy enough to find on Amazon. What's probably harder to find is the additional receivers you'd need on their own.

Soldato
What was linked on Aliexpress will work, just don't expect to necessarily be able to use the same cables and switch for normal LAN data.

That would have been my guess as well, when i was looking into HDMI over ethernet, the really expensive kits can work with a switch that's connected to other devices, but that cheap one on aliexpress will more than likely need a separate switch.

Soldato
I used one of the (relatively) cheap HDMI over IP kits to send the signal from my Sky box to two TVs upstairs.

They worked well via a switch, but I think it's all broadcast traffic and any normal traffic on the same switch slowed to a crawl. Luckily I had the cabling available to separate them.

Soldato
The whole idea here is not great. If the cameras are viewed over HDMI then there is no control over the cameras. Most NVRs allow you to log in over IP from a web browser so that’s a possibility but the fact that viewing-only NVRs exist would tend to indicate that they’re the right answer to the problem here.

Soldato
If the cameras are viewed over HDMI then there is no control over the cameras.

Chances are @Charn S doesn't need any form of camera control rather it would be purely for monitoring in multiple locations, in which case the NVR output would be perfectly acceptable (i would have thought).

Either way, i've deployed something similar to @bremen1874 using cheap Chinese HDMI-over-IP units albeit VLAN'd them off; worked well.

Soldato
Chances are @Charn S doesn't need any form of camera control rather it would be purely for monitoring in multiple locations, in which case the NVR output would be perfectly acceptable (i would have thought).

Either way, i've deployed something similar to @bremen1874 using cheap Chinese HDMI-over-IP units albeit VLAN'd them off; worked well.

So if they see something on the 1/4 or 1/9 or 1/16 thumbnails and they want to look more closely they have to get up and go to the NVR to look at it? That's a poor option.

Soldato
So if they see something on the 1/4 or 1/9 or 1/16 thumbnails and they want to look more closely they have to get up and go to the NVR to look at it? That's a poor option.

Of course it isn't ideal for all situations and a viewer on each monitor(/TV) would be the ultimate solution but it's also a lot more costly - about a third more with the products listed in this thread; gap is bigger if you shop around as those HDMI-over-IP units aren't the cheapest.

Got to remember this is a home setup where there is a good chance there is only a handful of cameras, so a 1/4 on a 65/75" isn't much of an issue if you want to see who's at the door. And if you do need to take a closer look then you can always grab your phone or head to the NVR.

Horses for courses and all that!

Don
What brand are the cameras?

If they are hikvision, I've written a guide for Raspberry Pi that lets you display 4x Hikvision camera streams on one screen. It has error checking etc, if a camera goes down, it will try to restart the stream for that camera every 5 seconds.

Soldato
Of course it isn't ideal for all situations and a viewer on each monitor(/TV) would be the ultimate solution but it's also a lot more costly - about a third more with the products listed in this thread; gap is bigger if you shop around as those HDMI-over-IP units aren't the cheapest.

Got to remember this is a home setup where there is a good chance there is only a handful of cameras, so a 1/4 on a 65/75" isn't much of an issue if you want to see who's at the door. And if you do need to take a closer look then you can always grab your phone or head to the NVR.

Horses for courses and all that!

The 4K viewers are £60+VAT - how much are the 'cheapest' HDMI adapters?

Soldato
The 4K viewers are £60+VAT - how much are the 'cheapest' HDMI adapters?

So about ~£80 inc delivery. I assume that isn't trade? Got a link to purchase? As i may grab one at the price to play with for the office.

But from what i remember it was ~£40 TX/£30 RX from AliExpress; was about 18 months ago and i think we managed to get a coupon for a few quid saving.

Either way, @bledd solution would probably work out cheaper if the OP was just after something extremely simple and didn't mind throwing together a load of RPi Zero's.

Associate
I thought Hikvision provided a free streaming service which will allow you to view the cameras away from the property? If that's been set up then you can access the page and view it that way without the need for cables.

Back
Top Bottom