Google Pixel 5

Soldato
Pretty much what Apex said, a lot of small nice things but certainly not what I'd expect in 3 years. Providing the headphones come through, it's acceptable just a bit meh. The speakers are terrible, I'm guessing there's no way of improving this?

What tempered screen protectors and cases are everyone using?

To be fair, three years isn't much now because of how mature things are. 2010 to 2013 for example saw leaps and bounds in regards to performance and image quality. Phones these days are only seeing improvements that aren't changing the real world experience all that much. SoC improvements aren't being put to use, look at the Apple A14 example - why the need to improve on the A13 that was already so far ahead of anything else?

Charging speeds are getting faster and camera sensors are getting bigger, but even these come with downsides such as more heat and focusing challenges (Samsung added laser focus to the Note 20 due to the focus issues on the S20 Ultra).

Associate
None. I never have. If you put a case on then there's little need for one? I'm still rocking bareback for now :D

Wish I’d ignored Mrs whiskcycle’s request not to have one on the 3XL... in a case, dropped it and it managed to ding a small piece of stone (3mm) on the ground and spider a crack from the edge across the screen to the main selfie lense!

Soldato
Just had my headphone claim validated in under 2 hours, top notch and looking forward to the headphones!

I just missed out on the pre order :(

Phone arrived the other day, and I must say, it’s very impressive. I wouldn’t have any idea that it’s not a flagship CPU, and that’s coming from someone that uses a XS Max as a daily and that has previously said the Pixel 3A felt slower compared to an equivalent SD 845 phone (Pixel 3).

They’ve certainly worked hard on optimisations, and as a result, it feels just as quick as my iPhone. Camera is phenomenal as is battery life. Since getting the phone on 80% and downloading all my apps etc, watching some YouTube videos, I’m on 32%. Definitely better than my iPhone.

Lastly, gestures are actually okay now! Though the back gesture is still stupid considering that Android has been developed for years with swipe from the left for menu, so now you have to reach to the top left all the time. My XS Max, a much larger phone, is easier to use one handed for sure.

Genuinely impressed and wouldn’t have any problem recommending. It’s just a bit small for me and definitely not as premium feeling as the iPhone. I won’t be changing to Android for my personal phone for the foreseeable future but I’m glad I got it for work over another iPhone :)

Associate
i pre ordered mine from Currys on the 18th and still haven't gotten it, apparently its been "lost in transit" so now i have to wait another week for an update on the situation im hoping this doesn't affect my Bose headphone claim because i need some IMEI code to claim them.

my microphone on my s8 is messed up so i really need a new phone... :(

Soldato
Lastly, gestures are actually okay now! Though the back gesture is still stupid considering that Android has been developed for years with swipe from the left for menu, so now you have to reach to the top left all the time. My XS Max, a much larger phone, is easier to use one handed for sure.

Pixel fans often slate anything other than the stock experience, but with Samsung you can tailor the back swipe to work from the left of the screen, the right of the screen, bottom left or bottom right. A back swipe for any preference.

Soldato
Pixel fans often slate anything other than the stock experience, but with Samsung you can tailor the back swipe to work from the left of the screen, the right of the screen, bottom left or bottom right. A back swipe for any preference.

I don’t have anything against the gesture, but rather the lack of proper UI development as a result of the transition to gestures. They need to do what Samsung and OnePlus are doing and develop with single hand use in mind :) It’ll happen but it’ll take time as they don’t have the same level of conviction as Apple when it comes to changes

Soldato
Was wondering about those or the Pixel Buds but heard that the Pixel option has had issues with connection.

Do you find the sony's big in your ears as they look noticeably bigger than other options.

Associate
Galaxy buds live sound quality is good, bass is very good, ANC just ok nothing special blocks out some sounds that all.
Best feature of these buds is how discrete they are no sticky out bits.

Back
Top Bottom