Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
Boot / shoe scrapy cleany takey offy thing

IMG-20201027-123918.jpg

Caporegime
Is mochi not supposed to be very sweet ? I bought some Strawberry ones at the Chinese supermarket a while back and was disappointed because it was like all the sugar had been removed, the BBQ fish snacks I bought were sweeter - https://www.orientalmart.co.uk/ladybird-bbq-flavoured-fish-fillet-sticks

mochi is made from rice and water beating until it gets to that texture. Itself is seldom if ever sweetened, its only sugar would be any fillings or sugar powder coating or glaze.

To understand it in history...Japan didn’t get sugar until the Europeans brought it to them and they were closed for 200 years so only sweet things were things like Anko (red bean paste) which is only mildly sweet. And that is typically the level of sweetness of their dessert. So by western standard, it’s barely sweet, just a hint. The sweetness comes from the filling, so a Daifuku (mochi with strawberry), the sweetness comes mainly from the strawberry itself.

that fish snack had both sugar and sweetness added so not surprised it’s sweet.

Last edited:
Soldato
mochi is made from rice and water beating until it gets to that texture. Itself is seldom if ever sweetened, its only sugar would be any fillings or sugar powder coating or glaze.

To understand it in history...Japan didn’t get sugar until the Europeans brought it to them and they were closed for 200 years so only sweet things were things like Anko (red bean paste) which is only mildly sweet. And that is typically the level of sweetness of their dessert. So by western standard, it’s barely sweet, just a hint. The sweetness comes from the filling, so a Daifuku (mochi with strawberry), the sweetness comes mainly from the strawberry itself.

Thanks, I guess natural sweetness isn't enough for my sweet tooth :(

Caporegime
Thanks, I guess natural sweetness isn't enough for my sweet tooth :(

A lot of Asian cuisine is about texture, not just the flavour, mochi is a prime example of that. People love the chewiness of it, the way your teeth cuts into it and then they would flavour it many ways from a salty soy glaze to matcha to teriyaki to fruits.

Back
Top Bottom