• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 woes (SOLVED)

Associate
Hi,

I bought a used Vega 56 and am suffering since. Gaming is impossible for more than 20 minutes at a time, as the computer crashes. Temps seem fine.

Crashes vary in type.

Sometimes I get a black screen but the pc continues working (I can hear music in the background) for a few seconds before it resets.
Sometimes I get a black screen but the whole PC freezes while I hear a "bad" sounds and I have to turn it off manually.
Sometimes I get a blue screen.
And worst of all, sometimes I get a black screen and gpu fans go full Boeing 747 mode and I have to kill power manually.

Temps do not seem to be an issue.

I tried undervolting, I tried older drivers, I tried turning off hardware acceleration in browsers, I tried driver verifier.

Did I get duped? I hope not. Many people seem to be reporting the same issues with Vegas and AMD drivers.

Any advice?

Associate
It shouldn't be that bad. I do get some crashes from time to time, but only on oced, or when i forget to turn off Zero RPM, and that happens maybe once in a month. You might have bought some dodgy card there. I don't believe that it has something to do with drivers, it's more like fairy tales before sleep for NV fans.

Associate
unstable clocks, get same issues when i try push her a bit too much.

What card is it?
What are the temps?
Whats your case cooling like?
What you memory / clocks / voltage running at?

Superposition benchmark is good tool to testing the card out and its clocks.

Associate
OP
The card is Gigabyte Gaming OC.
The PSU is Corsair TX750M.
The case is BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX. Cooling is adequate.
Memory clocks at stock.

your going to need a decent 650w psu at least for that and have 2 separate connectors ..
there a clean power hungry little beast ..
I see. I have connected a single cable with two heads. I'll try to connect two separate cables and see what happens.

Soldato
I had a similar issue with an airboost vega 56. It was only stable with the fan at 100% even though the temperatures were fine on the default fan profile.
I ended up having to RMA it :(

Associate
ive had 3 vega cards, i didnt encounter any of these issues. I hope switching to two cables helps it. If it doesnt then maybe return it if possible?

Soldato
You must run two separate power connectors, don't use a splitter, hopefully that's your issue

I have a Vega 56 that happily boosts to around 1700mhz with no issues what so ever

Associate
My MSI vega56 airboost was doing a similar thing. Although it was only now and again.

I have flashed a different bios onto it (I think it was a sapphire one). Since then it has been a lot more stable. Not had the full crash and fans going to 100% since then.

Associate
Have exactly the same issue - can go ages without it happening then it's multiple times in a day and always when I am having an awesome battle on world of tanks :| I have tried all kinds of things, the biggest help for me was actually disabling all kinds of overlays be it discord, AMD, steam, Microsoft XBOX etc.

Associate
Had the same issues with a used gigabyte gaming oc myself.

After some googlefu it seems they're just naff. Flashed the bios and tried various other suggestions in the net.

Gave up with it in the end and put my old 280x back in, the vega now sits in the box gathering dust.

Associate
Had black screen issues with mine over a year ago, the fix for me was to disable AMD overlay and recording software in the drivers.
Ain't had a crash since.

Soldato
Im stable on 20.9.2 drivers, 56 pulse, no oc or uc as works fine as is and goes up to 1600 on its own. I did get black screens with 20.9.1 tho but the .2 ones seem good. Defo use DDU tho.

So maybe try the drivers im on, and if ur on em try ddu and then reinstall em it might fix the issues.

Also i once had a nasty black screen issue caused by a aoc monitor driver, so im using ms generic pnp monitor driver and seems to do the job ok.

Associate
Check on the card itself.
You should have a small switch to run a more stable/less power hungry bios when its in the right hand position.
Try switching that and give it a go.

Associate
OP
Im stable on 20.9.2 drivers, 56 pulse, no oc or uc as works fine as is and goes up to 1600 on its own. I did get black screens with 20.9.1 tho but the .2 ones seem good. Defo use DDU tho.

So maybe try the drivers im on, and if ur on em try ddu and then reinstall em it might fix the issues.

Also i once had a nasty black screen issue caused by a aoc monitor driver, so im using ms generic pnp monitor driver and seems to do the job ok.
I switched to Enterprise Pro 20q3 yesterday and so far it's stable.
I will stay on this driver for week and report back the results.

Associate
OP
Bumping this thread to report that the Enterprise Pro 20q3 drivers largely solved all issues.
There is the occasional DP desync once a week or so, but the nightmares are gone.

Yay!

Back
Top Bottom